MattyP

Gran Turismo Sport -Tuesday nights forum races

Well looks like we will be getting another instalment of Gran Turismo this year (hopefully)! Couldn't find another thread on this ( did a quick search though so feel free to merge!) so thought I might start one...

One of the shortcomings of GT series over the years is the sound however its looking good this time as focus seems to have been put into this!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/06/28/gran-turismo-sport-creator-kazunori-yamauchi-talks-sound-steering-wheels-and-shifting-gears-ign-first

Sounding very impressive....

• Upvote 1

I don't really understand why Gran Turismo is still going. Does it play really well with a wheel or something?

From my perspective, it's been crap on a pad after GT3 (I think) and technologically it seems decades behind its rivals.

Better put out to pasture?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Huge GT fan and I can't wait for this. I adored GT5 and played it loads but skipped 6 as it looked very similar. I'm hoping GT Sport freshens the series up a bit and it looks like it will. As for it being behind it's rivals I wouldn't agree, I'd rate GT over Forza (just about) but I love both. 

• Upvote 1

I enjoy the GT series... 6 was fantastic IMHO plenty of DLC for free including a tribute to Senna (which was a fairly substantial chunk of content). Also had the Goodwood festival of speed DLC too. 

Anyhow still has plenty of fans.... and I'm getting buzzed for this. :) 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The last main installment shifted nearly 12 million copies so I suspect Yamauchi isn't really that interested in your perspective, tbh.

Did it? Fair enough. I can still think it's a bit rubs though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Huge GT fan and I can't wait for this. I adored GT5 and played it loads but skipped 6 as it looked very similar. I'm hoping GT Sport freshens the series up a bit and it looks like it will. As for it being behind it's rivals I wouldn't agree, I'd rate GT over Forza (just about) but I love both. 

6 is worth playing.. physics were improved over 5, variable weather, variable daytime (sun rises and sets in 24 hour races!)  plenty of (free) DLC.... Hefty updates though if you buy the base game on disk.. :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Did it? Fair enough. I can still think it's a bit rubs though.

In fairness I haven't touched it since the PS3 prologue version. Far too much admin and the likes of PGR and Horizon were much more immediate.

Might give the new one a go though, it looks spectacular.

• Upvote 2

I'll pick It up, Disappointed that the entire games isn't in VR and instead has a dedicated VR area. That being said, maybe it will be really good.

That's the downside of VR; it ruins all other driving games.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, MattyP said:

6 is worth playing.. physics were improved over 5, variable weather, variable daytime (sun rises and sets in 24 hour races!)  plenty of (free) DLC.... Hefty updates though if you buy the base game on disk.. :)

I probably would have purchased it anyway but thinking back on it now I sold my ps3 that year to help fund the ps4 on release. I was expecting GT6 to make it's way onto the PS4 but it never happened. 

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I probably would have purchased it anyway but thinking back on it now I sold my ps3 that year to help fund the ps4 on release. I was expecting GT6 to make it's way onto the PS4 but it never happened. 

:) Yes that was the problem for GT6 the looming PS4 console release... Shame they didn't port it to PS4 however guess GT Sport was in development then anyway and it was probably too difficult to port... guessing it was heavily optimised for CELL architecture.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I'll pick It up, Disappointed that the entire games isn't in VR and instead has a dedicated VR area. That being said, maybe it will be really good.

That's the downside of VR; it ruins all other driving games.

After spending a bit of time on Project Cars, a decent wheel and oculus rift indeed... However until I can afford such a setup I'll just have to make do with HD... :D 

It will be interesting to see how well this will run on a standard PS4 vs Pro... guessing it will be optimised well for both platforms. Just hope we don't see too many frame drops on a regular PS4@1080p - because I really don't want to buy a pro just to get a smooth 1080p experience.... Guess we'll see. Fingers crossed this won't be delayed until 2018... 

I am currently on the beta for this and it has improved a lot.  It looks incredible on PS4 Pro in 4K with HDR enabled and frame rate wise it seems very stable to my old eyes.

I am not sure what to expect yet as far as single player content goes (and VR) but fingers crossed.  I like it and I suspect this actually may be out by the end of the year - but not with all the content that should be there day 1!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I am currently on the beta for this and it has improved a lot.  It looks incredible on PS4 Pro in 4K with HDR enabled and frame rate wise it seems very stable to my old eyes.

I am not sure what to expect yet as far as single player content goes (and VR) but fingers crossed.  I like it and I suspect this actually may be out by the end of the year - but not with all the content that should be there day 1!

Great news... not too fussed about all the content being there on day one... I actually enjoyed the way PD kept dripping updates and content through on GT6 kept everything fresh and is one thing I like about the GT series. PD support it over a long period - they still update GT6 from time to time. So although the full game release cycle is slower than other racers it gets progressively better. I expect PD will treat GT Sport as a racing platform going forward tweaking and updating as time goes on. Hence not been called "GT7". Which I personally prefer. 

Probably need to invest in a wheel for the PS4 at some point... still gives me an excuse for replacing my ageing Driving Force Pro which I bought for GT4 all those years ago... :D

I love GT. looking forward to this, but it's looking like my g25 wheel won't work with it, which is pretty shitty. I'll have to see what's available at the time as using a wheel is so nice. Gt6 with that wheel was exhausting at times.

When I messed around with 5's audio in an equaliser, I was surprised to find a decent amount of detail in the low frequencies. It was pretty well-recorded. The problem's that its sub-500Hz is underrepresented on the vast majority of users' speakers. Uncharted 2 had a great engineer who offered three levels of dynamic compression to get around this.

I can understand Polyphony wondering why people are calling for what would be a downgrade in their eyes, but mid-range 8" monitors aren't the norm. A relatively simple sub-500 boost tied to reasonable compression would suit most of us much better.

My major complaint's still with its handling, though. The original's the only version where you can hold a countersteer doughnut without your car autocorrecting out of it; a basic standard of any sim. Although that's a slight lie, because none of the original's tracks are wide enough to hold a spin for more than a couple of turns. But the physics allow them. This hasn't been true since.

Another thing that I really don't like about the PS3 versions is that the pad's artificially handicapped. Wheels aren't intrinsically faster (I played better on my pad than I ever did with my Fanatec), but they lack the pad's undefeatable steering compensation. Turning the sensitivity up to 7's as good as it gets, but that's still much slower on turn-ins than a Fanatec set to something like 270­° lock. There's a delay between pushing the analogue quickly in either direction and the in-game steering catching up, because it smooths out your inputs to make the cars more controllable. Whereas the in-game wheel represents yours.

I used to play Live for Speed on a pad with its compensation turned off, and it does take a while to get used to it, but you're rewarded with absolute control. Once again, it's the simple matter of a user option.

(The original's up there with Grand Prix 2, ToCA 2 and GP Legends as one of my favourites. It's still fun even now.)

• Upvote 3

GT6 was a great package with all the DLC and challenges etc. Brilliant game. Looks like I may have to pick up a PS4 to play this. The "fantasy" tracks were always more memorable than Forza's.

Does anybody know if the Brook adaptors support wheels? I have a Logitech G920 for Xbone / PC.

Is this actually happening this year? I think what killed my excitement for the series was the endless delays, I enjoyed the second and fourth ones, both released later in the lifespan of consoles that already had a GT game. 5 took forever to release so 6 got the FFXII treatment and got missed out. Now it's been a million years since I played one and this is the first PS4 version and looks a bit stingy content wise.

17 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I am also on the beta and its good, graphics wise its very pretty on PS Pro and its interesting see how things have developed as they have updated the beta with better handling, physics etc.  Only sport mode is available with races happening as a specific time. I have only played a few of then but the format works well and building up to a race at a set time with qualify and warm up (plus knowing bad on track behavior will affect your sportsmanship rating) help to add an extra layer on tension and excitement to the races

Been playing a lot of dirt rally, in theory at least, this should be the game that replaces it.....

That's a pretty tough benchmark for the rallying element to compare to mind.

I'm interested to know more about the player rating system. Does it work like iRacing in dissuading players driving in ways which make 99% of online racing games no fun at all? 

Glad we now have a release date. It usually is around the October/November mark so it shouldn't have been a surprise to me. I suppose I've been staying away from the discussion though on a certain other forum due to the prevalent hatred there.

Going to be so much fun and a dream for photo mode.

Spent ages hot lapping on the beta for the best part of a month or so, the driving is a lot of fun, control with the DS3 is bang on the money and the whole package improved dramatically during the beta so it's definitely going in the right direction. It looks amazeballs and sounds better than any GT I can remember, too! I had a few races online and it was really slick. 

I've not played the series for years, despite loving it originally, but as someone who almost exclusively plays driving games and is a complete graphics whore this is a no brainer really. Bit of a touch on the release date too, I half expected them to push it to next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PDogg said:

...I've not played the series for years, despite loving it originally, but as someone who almost exclusively plays driving games and is a complete graphics whore this is a no brainer really...

That's the way I feel about it all. I must admit to feeling that it was a shame I didn't get a Beta invite but at the same time, waiting for the full deal is also fine. I'd probably have been wicked-off about the lack of photo mode in the Beta (understandable) as it'd be a bit like playing DiRT Rally or DiRT 4 ;) (Codemasters need to improve that bit.)