Naysonymous

EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Spurs about to offer 15m for Jack.

Villa fans seem insulted, most I've read seem to think he's worth 30/40m.

To the Villa fans on here, I'd be interested to know what you think.  I might have a bit of a blind spot with Grealish as I have to be honest, he's never really impressed me.

I wonder if it's a little like when Jordan Graham looked amazing to me because he stood out in a crap team.

I think it's a simple calculation. Villa need money, everyone knows that.

From what I've seen he is extremely inconsistent.

I don’t get his hype either.

But a young English lad who seems popular because of his short shin pads/socks and slick back hair must be worth a 20mil gamble if he comes good. 

I've not seen people come out with numbers like that myself, but £15m is hugely undervaluing Grealish.  During any transfer saga I've noticed most people who chime in do it from the perspective of what offers good value for the buying club, I've almost certainly done it myself in the past, but when it comes to Grealish a lot is on the line for Villa.  He's definitely our best player and he's almost certainly one of the best players in the Championship.  He missed 20+ games last season through injury after getting kicked in the kidney during a pre season game, his kidney was ruptured and he spent time in hospital as a result.  I'm pretty confident we'd have got promoted had Grealish not suffered that setback.  Selling him now is basically selling whatever faint hopes we have of promotion next season and we sure as fuck won't be happy if he's just sold as a player a Premier League club takes a 'punt' on just because they think he might be available cheaply. 

Purely in footballing terms he is excellent.  He's extremely gifted, he's got a lot of the qualities you can't coach. His first touch is fantastic, he's a good dribbler, he's a good passer of the ball and he can shoot from outside the box. His finishing inside the area could use a bit of work but I think that will come with time.  He's much stronger on the ball than he was a year ago and can run through players almost like Gazza used to, but he also draws a lot of fouls as he tends to use a trick to get past defenders rather than searing pace. He's quick enough though.  In a world where Jack Wilshere can't get a spot in the England squad because he's got glass ankles then I can see a role for Grealish in the national team if he gets a run in the Premier League because there aren't many other English players like him.  Obviously I'd rather it be with Villa but if Grealish want's to make the Euro 2020 squad then he probably needs to move this summer. Spurs are probably a good fit for him style wise, though he's not getting in the team ahead of Eriksen. If the £15m offer has been made then I think it's a deliberate lowball to make a second bid of £25m look more appealing.  

• Upvote 2

He's definitely worth more than £15m - that's pretty derisory when you see how much the likes of Gary Madine, Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes etc have moved for.

He's got massive potential but still has a long way to go before I'm totally convinced by him.  He's far too inconsistent and does disappear too often IMO, but when he's on his game he's absolutely one of the best players in the division.  When you factor in his age and the fact he's British, he'll go for more than £15m, regardless of Villa's need to sell.

Not sure whether he'll ever be good enough for England yet though - I'd want to see how he fares against better players on a regular basis.  I think having better players alongside him would benefit him though - there's a hell of a lot of responsibility on him at the moment.

(FWIW I can't abide him as he's a dirty, petulant little oik but I can't deny he's a talented player!)

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/07/20/club-statement-investment-in-aston-villa

Breaking news.

Whilst this is hopefully very good news (and long overdue) for Villa, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of background detail for these new 'investors' nor how much control they will have.

I hope it isn't a repeat of the last takeover and that lessons have been learned.  And above all else, I hope it means Villa fans can breathe a sigh of relief!!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/07/20/club-statement-investment-in-aston-villa

Breaking news.

Whilst this is hopefully very good news (and long overdue) for Villa, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of background detail for these new 'investors' nor how much control they will have.

I hope it isn't a repeat of the last takeover and that lessons have been learned.  And above all else, I hope it means Villa fans can breathe a sigh of relief!!

It's nice to see that the club isn't going to the wall after all but I remain skeptical. Our American billionaire owner ran us into the ground and delivered relegation from the top flight in one of the worst performing seasons in the history of English football (17 points!) while our Chinese "billionaire" owner wrote a load of cheques we couldn't cash and left us days from administration.   

The new guys seem to be attached to a hedge fund which doesn't thrill me, though as far as I can tell Nassef Sawiris lives in London so we don't have to deal with absentee owners for the first time in a decade. 

• Upvote 3

McGoldrick from free agency to Sheffield United and Ellis Harrison from Bristol Rovers to Ipswich.

Seems like Derby might grab Martyn Waghorn though.

55 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Twitter seems to think Wolves are going to buy Adama Traore from Middlesbrough, Villa get 20% of any fee so let's hope it's an expensive one! 

It seems the rumours may have been a little premature. 

There are also rumours that dr Tony sold the sell on clause. Dunno if that’s likely. 

On 30/07/2018 at 15:21, dr_manhattan^ said:

Championship is back this week! :omg:

Aren't you a Wolves fan? Your not even welcome here anymore :D  Go and join the high and mighty lot in the premiership thread :P  (Nah your always welcome here ofc)

• Upvote 1

Hopefully this season will be the one when Reading are finally put out of their misery and get relegated. We were even crap two years ago when we somehow made it to the play-off final, by boring everyone to death by passing is sideways and backwards for 90 minutes every game.

Anybody know which channel will be showing highlights? Occasionally watched the Channel 5 coverage last season, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they had lost the rights.