Naysonymous

EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

1st July tends to be the de facto start of the new seasons as player registrations (and therefore player contracts) end on 30th June and the transfer window cranks into life, pre season training is starting at most clubs soon and the fixtures are out.  So let's have a new thread.  Opening weekend fixtures are:

Friday, 4 August

Sunderland v Derby County (19:45 BST)

Saturday, 5 August

Bristol City v Barnsley
Burton Albion v Cardiff City
Fulham v Norwich City
Ipswich Town v Birmingham City
Nottingham Forest v Millwall
Preston North End v Sheffield Wednesday
Queens Park Rangers v Reading
Sheffield United v Brentford
Wolves v Middlesbrough
Aston Villa v Hull City (17:30 BST)

Sunday, 6 August

Bolton Wanderers v Leeds United (16:30 BST)

As it stands right now the favourites to go up are Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham & Derby.  Wolves look like they've got serious ambitions to go up this year too.  Burton, Barnsley, Bolton, Millwall and Ipswich are bookies favourites to go down.  

Speaking as a Villa fan I think this season is make or break for us. This has been our first summer of stability since about 2011, the squad has actually stayed together and will have a decent pre season for the first time in years, no ownership changes, a team which have actually played together for more than five minutes before the transfer window closes and it's the first time I've been genuinely optimistic about having a season where we win more games than we lose since Martin O'Neill was our manager.  I still think we will make one or two moves in the market (John Terry is rumoured to be the marquee signing, I'm not entirely sure I get it considering our defence was rock solid last season so maybe playing £100k a week for a celebrity isn't the most prudent use of our money but it does show ambition as I don't think he'd agree to join a club who don't have a serious shot at going up). I will wish good luck to all clubs except for Birmingham City because, you know, petty local rivalries are a powerful thing. 

• Upvote 5

Honestly I don't think Terry is value for money, I think Villa would do better spending that elsewhere. 

As for Wolves, if we pull off some of the rumoured signings and keep hold of Costa I'll be very excited. 

We've already replaced our back four. 

I'm considering a season ticket at the moment. 

Bad ad news this week is Boro away has been moved to a Friday night. 

We we haven't won there since the 50s for some reason. 

Ah, the Championship - where dreams go to die. Welcome to our new parachute payment overlords - if any of you newbies want to know the Championship ropes then, as an Ipswich fan, I'll be happy to help as we've been in this fucking league for fifteen years. 

We've bought a striker (Joe Garner) who is worse than one we're letting go (Pitman), signed two players that we had on loan / short term contracts last season (Emyr Huws and Jordan Spence), got a Man City winger on loan (Bersant Celina) and got a freebie (Tom Adeyemi). We've let Douglas go, Bru and Pitman can leave if they get another club and Berra has gone back to Hearts. Fairly underwhelming - however, I don't think we're going to go down and instead those bookies odds are a money making exercise in taking money from frustrated, angry Ipswich fans (which is most of us). 

The club and Big Mick really fucked up last season - the team was shit, Mick was pointlessly antagonistic to the (dwindling) fans and from a PR perspective they just got everything wrong; season ticket prices went up, they upped the age for subsidised tickets from 60 to 65, got rid of cheap season tickets for kids and replaced it with a more expensive option (for stupid pointless reasons), didn't comment on Mick's performance for ages, got rid of student tickets (replaced with young person tickets or something, screwing over mature students) and so on. And season ticket sales tanked as a result - they still haven't announced how many they've sold and the longer it goes on then the rumour mill keeps lowering the number of sales. Simon Milton has left from behind the scenes and it feels a bit like rats leaving a sinking ship. 

But, in spite of all that - in the last week or so the club seem to have finally realised they've fucked up (guessing the terrible season ticket sales helped) and are making small signs that they're modernising and coming into the 21st century. They're removing the on-the-gate premium so match day tickets will be cheaper. They're giving people that have already renewed their ticket £10 to spend in the club shop / on tickets. They're pushing for a reciprocal £25 away ticket deal with all clubs (which is a bit rich as we're one of the most expensive games for away fans). And so on - I still think next season will be terrible football wise but I'm more hopeful about the club in general. This should be Mick's last season in charge so I'd like to see clear signs that they have a succession plan and aren't just stumbling towards oblivion (which is what it seemed like last season, when we were all looking nervously at the likes of Coventry and wondering how the hell we'd survive if we went down). 

So to summarise, we're going to win the league. COME ON YOU BLUES! 

• Upvote 4

As a Norwich fan, tempted as I am to mock, perhaps going down might be a blessing in disguise for Ipswich. It certainly gave us a shot in the arm. 

Of course there are many other tales of clubs falling to the third tier and not bouncing back but it does seem the club is totally stagnating. I love the derby games and as fun as it was trouncing you over and over for a few seasons, it'd be nice to see both of us challenging for promotion or even both back in the Prem some time soon. 

• Upvote 1

What's the deal with the Norwich-Ipswich rivalry btw? It's over an hours drive from Norwich to Ipswich and more like three hours from Ipswich to Norwich (the top speed of a tractor is much slower than the top speed of a car) so why the hate? I'm guessing there aren't many Ipswich fans in Norwich or vice versa so are there towns between the two where large numbers of fans of both clubs mix? 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

What's the deal with the Norwich-Ipswich rivalry btw? It's over an hours drive from Norwich to Ipswich and more like three hours from Ipswich to Norwich (the top speed of a tractor is much slower than the top speed of a car) so why the hate? I'm guessing there aren't many Ipswich fans in Norwich or vice versa so are there towns between the two where large numbers of fans of both clubs mix? 

Why the hate? Because there's nobody else nearby.

It's very much a Norfolk v Suffolk thing as much as Norwich v Ipswich. I was born in Norwich but grew up in King's Lynn (there's a good thread about King's Lynn somewhere), you do notice the odd Ipswich shirt around Norwich's fine pedestrianised city centre but clearly only to wind folk up. I've never lived anywhere near the county border so can't speak for them. In Lynn I grew up with as many Man Utd and Arsenal fans as I did Norwich kids. Imagine @SuperMBo could tell a better story from South of the border.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, diddlydennis said:

Why the hate? Because there's nobody else nearby.

Haha, yeah that's pretty much it. Effectively there's only one team in Suffolk and one team in Norfolk (and there's a long boring post to be made about how Ipswich have taken that for granted) - we don't have anyone else to have as local rivals, and we've usually been at or around the same level for much of our recent history. 

To put it in context, Colchester is closer to Ipswich and they fucking hate us (I watch a few games a season there from the away end with various friends' shit teams and it always amuses them that all the songs are calling Ipswich cunts), whereas we just don't care about them - why would we? When we were last in the Premier League (some forum members might not have been born then), Norwich were in the doldrums then so some Town fans had some weird ideas that West Ham were now our local rivals. Quite rightly, West Ham looked at us like a load of insane yokels (and then Martin Reuser scored a free-kick and we won 1-0 at Upton Park - which makes us the real winners).

• Upvote 3

That Colchester reference is a bit like Walsall with Wolves. My god Walsall really really hate us and its a bit odd.

They beat us at Molineux when we were in League 1 but you'd think they'd won the champions league the way they reacted at full time! 

We comfortably won 3-0 at Bescot. Which really annoyed them. The subsequent fans phone in on Radio WM was one if the funniest things I've ever seen.

I had no idea just how intense their hatred was until that season - I never gave them a second thought TBH. Still don't.

• Upvote 1

Sheff wed away (For Boro) is 23rd December. Well happy with that.

Should be a good laugh going out with work n boro lads. 

Sheff United away is a wet Tuesday night in April :(

1 hour ago, diddlydennis said:

We hate wolves too. Not really sure why, think it's got something to do with muscat crippling Bellamy one year. 

Yep - a feeling that's simply not reciprocated at all! We find it very odd TBH. Maybe the lack of teams near Norwich is a factor and they're desperate for more rivals?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, diddlydennis said:

We hate wolves too. Not really sure why, think it's got something to do with muscat crippling Bellamy one year. 

I once saw some Norwich fans singing "We only hate Wolves and Ipswich" while wondering into the wrong part of town, wasn't wise. 

Its always been been a weird one that, the number of clubs with players that have crippled some of our better players is mental, we'd hate half the league if that was the requirement!

• Upvote 1

As a Birmingham fan, I don't have much hope for the coming season. I think Redknapp will keep us in the league but I'm not expecting to be in the top half. I'm just glad we didn't get John Terry in, as that was looking likely before Villa came in for him. 

Also we don't like Wolves either, don't mind the Baggies though. 

• Upvote 1

No, we can't stand Blues or Albion. But seem to get on with Villa.

It's very odd!!

Personally, Bolton and Blues are my two least favourite sides. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, don't like Blues much. Actually, personally I don't mind Albion much. 

Seems to be a a lot of respect between Wolves and Villa, but Villa do have quite a few arrogant fans in my experience. They won the European Cup you know!?

dont mind Blues too much at the moment though as I'm currently watching Peaky Blinders. 

Such a weird signing.  Some bookies have now made them favourites on the back of Terry signing for them but he's not going to be able to keep up with the fixture pileups, surely?

He looked like his legs had gone last season.  I know that was in the Premier League but it's not like the Championship isn't blessed with some pretty rapid strikers.  Is it for an off the field presence maybe?

Obviously it won't happen for him this season, but apparently, Villa have won the European Cup previously.  I hear about this every so often as I work in Birmingham so I thought I'd share that information.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Obviously it won't happen for him this season, but apparently, Villa have won the European Cup previously.  I hear about this every so often as I work in Birmingham so I thought I'd share that information.

We beat Bayern Munich once, don't you know.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, diddlydennis said:

We beat Bayern Munich once, don't you know.

Jeremy Goss, wasn't it?

The highlight of his career except his time in Bros.

8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Jeremy Goss, wasn't it?

We don't like to go on about it or anything, but yes.

Only English team to have ever beaten them at the Olympic Stadium, too. But we don't go on about that either.

13 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Jeremy Goss, wasn't it?

I remember Goss signing for Hearts a wee while after that, and we were quite excited. That didn't last long.

We beat Bayern too, but at home. Blew it in the away leg!

6 minutes ago, Butters said:

I remember Goss signing for Hearts a wee while after that, and we were quite excited. That didn't last long.

We beat Bayern too, but at home. Blew it in the away leg!

I had no idea he went there. Wiki says he made 10 appearances, I see what you mean about the excitement not lasting long.

He was pretty shit tbf, he just scored a couple of cracking goals which folk remember him for, not for being pretty fucking useless the rest of the time.

Yeah, we signed him, Neil McCann and Davie Weir all at the same time. Goss was the one that we were most excited about, but turned out to be firmly the worst of the three, and as you say, he didn't hang around for long.

Cracking goal against Bayern though.

1 minute ago, Butters said:

Yeah, we signed him, Neil McCann and Davie Weir all at the same time. Goss was the one that we were most excited about, but turned out to be firmly the worst of the three, and as you say, he didn't hang around for long.

Cracking goal against Bayern though.

He did three good things in 188 appearances for Norwich.

Here they are.

• Upvote 2