rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I genuinely believe that modern companies intentionally set out to build the desirability of their brand somewhat off the back of the online reselling phenomenon. It seems part and parcel of any successful launch now, be it trainers, clothing or computer games.

I'm certain that these companies will have marketing strategists hoping that their product ends up selling on eBay for inflated prices. The eyebrow raising prices generate a type of publicity for your product that can only be beneficial for your overall brand in the long run. It helps generate that instant must-have buzz for the next release, and the next one after that, and so on.

I suppose the question is would the company prefer to pocket all of the extra sales revenue we see amongst resellers directly, or would they prefer to reap the benefit of perceived covetibility and hype around their brand going forward? I'm no expert, but I would suspect that there'd be more sustained value in the achieving the latter.

If the NES Classic was plentiful to the extent that it was now weighing down sales racks, would the masses even care about this week's announcement? As it is, the internet is talking about Nintendo in a frenzied manner at the minute. None of that, I'd suggest, will have an adverse effect on building positive brand perception. I'm sure their marketing bods will be hoping that this in turn will help create more buzz for the Switch going forward, which must be a much bigger fish for them to fry.

These cunts in marketing know what they're doing man!

No doubt there's an element of that to it, but it's a dangerous strategy if you can't meet demand. Look at PS4, most successful console this generation, and always available. 

2 minutes ago, KriessG said:

Well the manufacturing they had booked switched over to making the SNES Mini, so they couldn't just continue. Yes they could book to move the manufacturing to another factory or something, but then they would be marketing the NES, SNES & Switch which seems a bit unfocused. I'm sure they understand that a 2nd NES run will print money, but it's not just about pumping everything out at once for them.

NES, SNES, Switch, 2DS, 3DS, Amiibos etc. It's not like they don't already do it. 

Can I just say that as a kid we were too poor for me to have a SNES or Mega Drive and I looked at people who owned them with mad jealousy. My first console was a PS1 when I was a good few years older. I don't give a crap about retro games normally and I only ordered one of these because they're going to be stupidly hard to get hold of and I'll decide if I want to keep the preorder after the fact.

So now is the first time I've actually looked at the list of games and I'm actually really excited to play a lot of these games:

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Donkey Kong Country

EarthBound

Final Fantasy III

F-Zero

Kirby Super Star

Kirby's Dream Course

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania 4

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Super Punch-Out!!

Yoshi's Island

That is pretty bloody amazing and all of a sudden £79.99 doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

Not sure if Super Castlevania is any good.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

No doubt there's an element of that to it, but it's a dangerous strategy if you can't meet demand. Look at PS4, most successful console this generation, and always available. 

I don't think the SNES mini is competing with the PS4, Switch is outselling it same timescale and isn't available anywhere - go figure!

Just now, Goemon said:

Can't wait for the market to be flooded with these things once everyone cancels their "backup" orders.

I'll keep my extra to sell on here for what I paid plus postage plus a million quid.

• Upvote 3

No doubt there's an element of that to it, but it's a dangerous strategy if can't meet demand. Look at PS4, most successful console this generation, and always available. 

So you could see an argument then for Nintendo to not make more NES mini but instead use that capacity to make more Switch units? You can't see how that might have been the situation for them in terms of manufacturing capacity, and how clearly moving lines to Switch made more long-term sense for them?

I have no idea if this is the case, but it's certainly more plausible than them just being spiteful and not wanting money.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Can I just say that as a kid we were too poor for me to have a SNES or Mega Drive and I looked at people who owned them with mad jealousy. My first console was a PS1 when I was a good few years older. I don't give a crap about retro games normally and I only ordered one of these because they're going to be stupidly hard to get hold of and I'll decide if I want to keep the preorder after the fact.

So now is the first time I've actually looked at the list of games and I'm actually really excited to play a lot of these games:

That is pretty bloody amazing and all of a sudden £79.99 doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

It's amazing. The title screen music alone gives me goosebumps.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Don't get too excited about Donkey Kong Country, it was only noteworthy at the time because of the graphics and music. It's a very mediocre platformer on its own merits, with some really shit collision detection, and especially when compared to Retro Studio's take on it.

Earthbound deserves being bolded more than that.

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don't think the SNES mini is competing with the PS4, Switch is outselling it same timescale and isn't available anywhere - go figure!

No it's not, of course it isn't, but the point was that Sony haven't relied on this 'marketing' as a way of ensuring high sales. I think it's largely nonsense. The simple answer is that they fucked up with NES Mini and then didn't think to revise their plans. Hopefully they'll have a change of heart this time around should the demand be big enough.

I'm OK in missing out on the NES mini, as long as this comes through for me. Feeling quite stoked now - didn't realise Castlevania was in the list. And that Mario RPG, too.

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

So you could see an argument then for Nintendo to not make more NES mini but instead use that capacity to make more Switch units? You can't see how that might have been the situation for them in terms of manufacturing capacity, and how clearly moving lines to Switch made more long-term sense for them?

I have no idea if this is the case, but it's certainly more plausible than them just being spiteful and not wanting money.

Poor management that's all.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'll keep my extra to sell on here for what I paid plus postage plus a million quid.

Or they'll be so readily available that you'll end up making a loss seeing as people could just buy one direct from a retailer, postage included.

2 minutes ago, smac said:

I'm OK in missing out on the NES mini, as long as this comes through for me. Feeling quite stoked now - didn't realise Castlevania was in the list. And that Mario RPG, too.

that games list, although only 20, is fantastic.

i wish Sim City, Super Aleste, a Final Fight, and the Star Wars games were on there but you cannot have everything.

star fox 2 goes some way to make up for that though.

• Upvote 1

I'm very excited about Super Castlevania 4. I had never played any of the games in the original Castlevania series (although I have played all the Metroidvania's) until I got a NES Mini. The original Castlevania was the only game I played for more than an hour. It still stands up very well. I'm on the hunt for a GBA copy.

Or they'll be so readily available that you'll end up making a loss seeing as people could just buy one direct from a retailer, postage included.

No scalper will make a loss, some have already trebled their money on ebay.

And you can always return things you have purchased online. Its a win-win for the scalpers.

Just now, ulala said:

And you can always return things you have purchased online. Its a win-win for the scalpers.

I guess so. That's why reselling preorders should be illegal.

You could stroll into cex on day one with one of these with absolutely minimal effort and still make a profit. No ebay fees, no postage, no grief.

Never had a problem with very.co.uk in four years in fact nothing but excellent deals from them so don't be put off from ordering from them if it's that or nothing.

They were one of the few retailers still honoring the £49.99 price point for the nes mini when they restocked.

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

NES, SNES, Switch, 2DS, 3DS, Amiibos etc. It's not like they don't already do it. 

They have time lines for manufacturing for all these products, as they did with the NES. They didn't plan to keep making the NES as they were switching over to manufacturing and then marketing their next retro console, the SNES. Can they make more NES's eventually, sure. For now though they are focusing on launching the SNES alongside their modern products.

2 minutes ago, KriessG said:

They have time lines for manufacturing for all these products, as they did with the NES. They didn't plan to keep making the NES as they were switching over to manufacturing and then marketing their next retro console, the SNES. Can they make more NES's eventually, sure. For now though they are focusing on launching the SNES alongside their modern products.

I don't think you need to spell this out. Everyone is aware of what's happened. The question is whether they could have managed things better. I believe they could have. To not have any sort of contingency is poor management.

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I guess so. That's why reselling preorders should be illegal.

Yeah, 8 years of eating porridge in prison for having business sense and selling something people want. Richard Branson should get life the scoundrel. Bill Gates the death penalty. 

Capcom keep selling you the same street fighter every year for increased prices, should that be illegal? 

Im keeping mine, I can't wait to play mario kart with my little boy, but I don't begrudge scalpers, it's nintendos problem for being utter dog shit as always 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

To be fair the hype for this was always going to be ridiculous as a) it's the best console ever b) we knew it was coming after the nes mini was released c) it's the best console ever d) it holds a special place in all 30 something's hearts and e) it's the best console ever. 

I really hope that Nintendo will flood the marketplace with them as they knew ages ago the demand would be off the scale. Everyone deserves a snes.

I legitmately never owned a SNES. I was a young kid with a few sisters and a brother, not really something the family could afford. Having played Link to the Past and Earthbound and stuff in later years, there's something about actually owning a SNES mini, all the games included, and having it plugged into my TV at home, that's kind of finally ticking that box off.

Plus these games have all aged so much better than the NES generation.

I do hope these are easier to find closer to launch. Seems like such a wonderful little thing.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ulala said:

I must admit, I don't have much sympathy for people paying rediculous money on ebay for Snes preorders. It seems silly to commit to paying a huge mark up when it has yet to be determined if these will end up being supply restricted at all. 

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I would hope so. I don't see the point in reselling these things. They cost £80. Whatever you sell at is going to be hit by 10% paypal fees and whatever PayPal charges (not insignificant). And postage.

You could avoid that by going via Gumtree but that involves meeting someone who you are essentially ripping off.

And I don't think anyone has tripled their money on eBay yet. The media love posting articles with what things are being listed for on eBay but if you actually look closely more often than not you'll find that they're outliers which aren't actually selling. I'm sure people will make profits when these things launch but doubt many are making offers on the myriad of listings on eBay.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Charles said:

I must admit, I don't have much sympathy for people paying rediculous money on ebay for Snes preorders. It seems silly to commit to paying a huge mark up when it has yet to be determined if these will end up being supply restricted at all. 

You can always return them to the eBay seller. Long distance selling regulations apply to all buy it now sales.