deKay

SNES Mini

Exposed my 4yo to a few of the games tonight. Zelda was great but he kept passing the controller to me every time a baddie appeared on the screen. "The Monkey Game" held his attention for longer. Kirby is a lot harder than I remember it.

Having thirty years on him does not make me any better at Ghouls and Ghosts. :/

29 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Yoshi's Island is fantastic! :wub:. Hugely under-rated game!

The music in the "Throwing Ballons" sub game, just sublime. In fact, the music composition throughout the game is some of Nintendo's finest.

Plus it has a secret 2-player balloon game if you hold select and press X, X, Y, B, A!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Yoshi's Island is fantastic! :wub:. Hugely under-rated game!

I'd agree except... it's not underrated is it!? As I remember, it got amazing scores when it was released. And it's still fondly remembered by anyone who played it.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

I'd agree except... it's not underrated is it!? As I remember, it got amazing scores when it was released. And it's still fondly remembered by anyone who played it.

Fair point. But Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy seem to get mentioned more generally. This is right up there in my opinion, just behind Super Mario World. And it's tough as nails, from pretty early on, especially if you're going for the red coins.

Amazed and delighted how well almost all these games hold up. Broke the seal with Super Castlevania IV and was reminded how awesome and understated the music was. Even Starwing, which I was expecting to be a shitshow, is still perfectly satisfying to play, just takes a few minutes to readjust. The intros to Metroid and Final Fantasy send shivers down my spine...

:wub:

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Fair point. But Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy seem to get mentioned more generally. This is right up there in my opinion, just behind Super Mario World. And it's tough as nails, from pretty early on, especially if you're going for the red coins.

It’s my favourite 2D platformer. For some reason I never really loved the super Mario worlds etc but Yoshi’s island blew me away. A culmination of the “do yourself a favour be a liquor saver” music, the beautiful graphics and touch fuzzy get dizzy level just had me engrosed. The first game I loaded up on my Smini (is that a new word) 

oh yeah fuck me that thing is small. 

Haven't played Contra in god knows how many years but it still seems ingrained in my gaming DNA. I sometimes struggle to remember what I did last week yet here I am instinctively remembering pretty much every enemy placement and attack pattern. 

One things for sure though its making me seriously miss my SNES gaming buddy from back in the day.... dont think Ive felt a gaming nostalgia kick like this in quite some time. 

• Upvote 7

Yoshi's Island was a pleasure and an experience when I played it when it first came out.  It will always be in my top favourite games of all time.  Can't wait to get back into it again after such a long time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Game order delivered to neighbour who refused to answer the door when I went over (despite the fact I could see him in his front room watching Emmerdale). He dropped it around after:

6RksuKv.jpg

Willing to trade one for a new TV ;)

That the special Kolo version of FIFA? Beautiful.....

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, U-1 said:

One things for sure though its making me seriously miss my SNES gaming buddy from back in the day.... dont think Ive felt a gaming nostalgia kick like this in quite some time. 

:( This :(

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The power requirements are 5V/1A. I have a 5V/700mA adapter and it seems to work just fine - there's no risk of using this, is there? I've also got a 5V/2A knocking about, if that would be better/safer. I have little to no idea.

I can confirm the controllers work just fine on the Wii, which is perfect. 

Smyths in Belfast (both Forestside and Boucher Road) had extra units in stock this morning (one per customer limit), so if you haven't pre-ordered it's worth checking locally.

I’ve got mine plugged into a 5 volt 2.5amp Pi adapter if that helps. Works fine. I think the electronics are smart enough not to blow up if the current is too much. 

With the screen surrounds, does the one that looks like unfocused bubbles have a thing where the colour tone changes to sync up with the game image?

Even if not, I think this is the one I'll be sticking with.

8 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Just went to collect mine at Smyths and was told it wasn't ready and to wait a day or so. Really really hope they haven't fucked my order up :(

My one at Smyth's had my name on the side, on a barcode.

Surely you've already paid?

4 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Those loonies on NEOGAF think the PAL SNES looks inferior to their equivalent machine. Dear oh dear...

Americans clearly lack class. 

I’ve also heard they prefer the neon switch over the grey version. 

• Upvote 1

Got back from work to find a small box. Didn't remember ordering anything sonwas a bit confused. Looked like there might be a couple of shot glasses in there.

Opened the box to find my SNES Mini from Argos.

Fuck me, it’s tiny. 

To be honest, as nice as our machine is I'd be up for a straight swap with an American one.

I had my prime SNES years with a US machine with US (obviously) and JPN games being played without the need of converter pass-through adaptors and of course at the right speed. I haven't touched a US controller since it was all traded in for a PS1 bundle and it's only now that I'm really missing those concave X & Y buttons. I even feel like chomping down a couple of rolls of Parma Violets as I type.

• Upvote 3

Just now, spanky debrest said:

To be honest, as nice as our machine is I'd be up for a straight swap with an American one.

I had my prime SNES years with a US machine with US (obviously) and JPN games being played without the need of converter pass-through adaptors and of course at the right speed. I haven't touched a US controller since it was all traded in for a PS1 bundle and it's only now that I'm really missing those concave X & Y buttons. I even feel like chomping down a couple of rolls of Parma Violets as I type.

Ban request. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 2