deKay

SNES Mini

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Aww that sucks

I was having a problem after adding new roms where it would boot up once then just go to a black screen, turns out it’s because I’m using an unpowered HDMI switcher.  Changed it so it goes into the tv and it’s fine.  Phew!

I’ve just loaded up each rom to check it and played them a bit then made a save state, now demo mode shows my save states rewindable bit.  Pretty neat! 

I had that. Would a poweredswitcher solve our problem, then?

14 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Just a heads up, the snes mini crashes with custom firmware if you are using a hdmi switcher.

Mine doesn't, though it does switch when you plug it in, rather than turn it on

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Paulando said:

What are the best SNES platformers other than the ones it came with, then?

Prince of Persia deserves a mention. The snes version had a lot of effort put into it.

I'm quite excited to recommend Eiji Aonuma's game (now fan-translated) 'Marvelous', because it's of an even quality to the top works of the SNES but will be unknown to a lot of you. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Mike said:

Aww that sucks

I was having a problem after adding new roms where it would boot up once then just go to a black screen, turns out it’s because I’m using an unpowered HDMI switcher.  Changed it so it goes into the tv and it’s fine.  Phew!

I’ve just loaded up each rom to check it and played them a bit then made a save state, now demo mode shows my save states rewindable bit.  Pretty neat! 

Thank you for this! Sorted out all my man cave problems....

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Prince of Persia deserves a mention. The snes version had a lot of effort put into it.

Made my list on the strength of the Atari St and pc versions...

And I totally own the game!

snesini.JPG.ee5d30037c24b08fadbef1b6b97c4636.JPG

Are you only limited by the space on there then? There’s no hard limit to the number games? I thought originally on the NES Classic it was ‘one in, one out’?

1 hour ago, Goose said:

What’s this talk of using Retroarch to load games with issues?

The Hakchi download page links to a Retroarch mod. It's a zip file you can simply drag an drop onto Hakchi. After that you choose which mods you want, press OK and it will apply the custom firmware again once you put the SNES mini in flashing mode. Once this is done you can add the --retroarch command line to change for games where you want it to use retroarch instead of the default emulator.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Are you only limited by the space on there then? There’s no hard limit to the number games? I thought originally on the NES Classic it was ‘one in, one out’?

Yes i believe so, just limited to the number of games before you have to use folders.

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Looks like 300mb total, and the first 21 games only uses like 40-odd, iirc

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Made my list on the strength of the Atari St and pc versions...

And I totally own the game!

snesini.JPG.ee5d30037c24b08fadbef1b6b97c4636.JPG

Good man! Use the Japanese boxart though, it's superb. :) 

3 hours ago, JPickford said:

My brother did much of the graphics for that.  The Major League one. Not the Rare one.

They still look great. The sequel goes for a little more realism but characters of the first game have a lot more personality and because I've no idea who MLB players were back then the players having fake names doesn't bother me. 

• Upvote 1

Having completed SMW, I'm now playing Yoshi's Island and it's great. It looks beautiful and it's more fun to play for my money. Despite only coming out a few years after SMW, it feels like a much more modern game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

The Firemen had sound issues for me, using Retroarch fixed it. 

It also means you can add games from other systems.

You’re kidding? Holy shit :lol:

Something Nintendo really have managed to do with this is make a very decent emulator frontend. I bought a Shield TV a couple of months ago with the promise of great emulator support. I tried out every frontend and they were all shite, sent the thing back.

I've had issues getting a Super Street Fighter 2 ROM to work.

Eventually I gave up and played Stunt Race FX for an hour. Terrible frame rate aside, damn that game is fun!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I've had issues getting a Super Street Fighter 2 ROM to work.

Eventually I gave up and played Stunt Race FX for an hour. Terrible frame rate aside, damn that game is fun!

Me too ... tried 3 different superSF2 ROM’s and no joy.

Also what’s the controller button combination to reset to the home screen?

1 minute ago, dino_jr said:

Me too ... tried 3 different superSF2 ROM’s and no joy.

Also what’s the controller button combination to reset to the home screen?

I think you can set up your own combination?