neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

Season 2017-18 begins in earnest after a long, hard Summer of virtually no football at all.

If you want to add some good links, I can stick it in this OP.

Good links

Guardian EFL Blog

One thing I've done in the past is add a username and their team in this OP so I shall try and do this again. Can your first post in this thread include that please :)

@neoELITE - Plymouth Argyle (League 1)

@Coltrane - Portsmouth (League 1)

@Danster  - Bristol Rovers (League 1)

@Carlos Valderrama - Exeter City (League 2)

@Fatsam - Wrexham (National League)

@Tomox - Oxford United (League 1)

@gospvg - Oxford United (League 1)

@Chawkso - Oxford United (League 1)

@Spleen - Portsmouth (League 1)

@wullie - Coventry City (League 2)

@rgraves - Peterborough United (League 1)

@Cosmic_Guru - Sutton United (National League)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Coltrane said:

Coltrane - Portsmouth (League 1)

Good idea to start a new thread for the coming season. Looking forward to it :)

Typo in the thread title @neoELITE ;)

Cheers ears. I was going to add people I knew in terms of who they supported but didn't want to presume - you might have switched to Southampton for example.

Top bants!

Danster - Bristol Rovers. Here's hoping our League one consolidation will continue and push for the playoffs would be fun.

Also hoping my dad (sixty years a fan), who recently has been diagnosed with Motor Neurones, will be able to make it to the ground more than once or twice in the coming season. His usual seat in the stand is too high up for him to make it when it's busy, he has been advised to arrive there an hour beforehand and wait for everyone to leave before leaving himself; likely he'll only get to go when I can which isn't often.

54 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Cheers ears. I was going to add people I knew in terms of who they supported but didn't want to presume - you might have switched to Southampton for example.

Top bants!

lol funny guy! Top bants indeed..

I think there's more chance of adolf hitler being discovered on the moon riding shergar than there is of me switching to supporting the scum.

Fatsam - Wrexham (Vanarama something or other)

Still need a couple of quality forwards in, but the squad is looking good so far. After 4 crappy seasons I think we actually have really good chance of making the playoffs. Particularly as they've been crazily expanded to feature 6 teams.

30 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Fatsam - Wrexham (Vanarama something or other)

Still need a couple of quality forwards in, but the squad is looking good so far. After 4 crappy seasons I think we actually have really good chance of making the playoffs. Particularly as they've been crazily expanded to feature 6 teams.

National League - hence why I've not done Sky Bet League 2. A 6 team play-off? After looking it up.

The top teams in National League North and South will be promoted automatically.

Then 4th and 5th-place clubs will host 7th and 6th respectively in one-legged ties.

The winners of those matches will face 2nd and 3rd, away, in one-legged semi-finals, before a final at Wembley for the National League and a club ground for North and South decides who is promoted.

Yeah, it means getting to Wembley is even more of  lottery in one off matches and you can finish 7th and get promoted, but that bit is obviously the case in league 2 too.

There can easily be a 20 point or more gap between 2nd and 7th place, which potentially seems the most unfair element.

Wrexham's budget is now usually around 6th or 7th in the league or something like that so it's easy to see why we voted in favour of the change.

Oh my days :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40389189

League One Plymouth Argyle have signed striker Joel Grant from local rivals Exeter City.

Grant, 29, made 28 appearances for the League Two Grecians last season and had been offered a new deal.

The Jamaican joined Exeter in 2015 after the club's fans raised £30,000 towards his wages.

That last sentence is going to sting @Carlos Valderrama - ouch

4 hours ago, Tomox said:

Tomox - Oxford! :)

As soon as you mentioned Oxford it immediately took me back to my two hugely enjoyable Manor Ground visits where we scored 4 past you in both games. An uncovered bit of concrete in the corner behind the goal with away chants emptying into the air, but a wonderful place to watch football from after a few beers. Darren Ferguson was in his pomp. Oh man, the best left foot in the lower leagues.  There was some protest going on in one of the games and your fans were handing out A4 pieces of paper with Boycott Morrells written on it.  I folded it and held it up to a bemused Andy Morrell (future Wrexham top scorer. manager and lovely man) at half time.  I've still got it. My lucky Andy Morrell A4 piece of falling apart paper.

Thanks to a combination of selective memory and being non-league for so long, I'd completely forgotten you had been down here with us. I've had enough of playing Woking and Dover and Chester. I've decided we're getting promoted this season.

10 hours ago, Carlos Valderrama said:

He's a decent player. Good luck to him in League One. That's life when you miss out on promotion! Id be surprised if he is more than a squad player.

I only saw him play as a sub at the end of the play-off semi-final second leg. He took on the entire defence from the halfway line, got into the box, had a chance to slip it sideways for a tap-in for another player but decided to shank it wide instead. The last time we bought a striker from Exeter City it was Jamie Mackie and he did quite well and ended up a Premier League player and even scored (for QPR) in that Man City game where City went on to win at the death and win the league. 

I am concerned that Graham Carey, goals and assists galore last season is now out of contract and hasn't re-signed for us. His wife/girlfriend and child don't live here, they're still living in Scotland and he's been here two seasons. I can't see him re-signing. We've bought a replacement apparently but he's one player from last season who we really need. Worried about that one.

Frank Lampard is the latest man to be linked with the Oxford job...! 

It seems pretty obvious that no-one has a clue at the moment, seemingly a £20 bet can make the odds change hugely!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spleen said:

Another mighty Pompey supporter here. 

League One Champs this time! Easy...

I admire the optimism :)

I would be happy with a top half of the table finish. I do think we've got a chance at the playoffs as well but need to do some squad strengthening first. We haven't replaced Enda Stevens yet and we could do with another 3-4 players at least I reckon.

I'm feeling optimistic though. Think Kenny Jackett's the right man to take us forward.

Oxford manager update!

Lampard still strongly linked, along with Chris Powell (sounds good) and Steve MccLaren (ermmmm)

Would like us to have a man in place by the end of the week!

@Carlos Valderrama Exeter City sign Luke Croll. We had him on loan the season before last and he was diabolical. He played three games and didn't look at all comfortable as a centre-half. I didn't know he was City on loan last season. I'm surprised he's not had to join a non-league team.

@wullie - we signed Ruben Lameiras from Coventry. Is he any good? 

He can be, although it's hard to pin down where he should be played at times. He seems to be regarded as a winger but appears to prefer playing inside. The main reservation against him is that he's a bit lightweight so what you get in neat touches and clever passing you're missing in physical presence. He is an absolute magnet for opposition defenders getting a reducer in early doors, so you're going to see an increase in free kicks awarded to you.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know anything about Peterborough right back Michael Smith? Apparently close to signing for Hearts. All I know is that he was put on the transfer list by Peterborough, and that Coventry were in for him.

@Butters - I'm a Posh season ticket holder fella, so yeah I know a bit about him. He's a solid, dependable RB - 7/10 most weeks kind of player. Won't give you loads going forwards, but is solid enough.

We're moving him on as he's apparently a high-earner at the club and we're "re-balancing" the wage bill given all the FFP stuff nowadays. Also, I think we're planning to play with wing-backs more this season and he's certainly more of a classic full-back than a marauding wing-back.

• Upvote 1

Nice one @rgraves. Sounds decent enough. We just sold our main right back to Cardiff (although he has been out injured since January), so he will likely get a regular game. Hadn't realised that he is Northern Irish too - the NI assistant manager is also our assistant manager and Michael O'Neill lives in Edinburgh apparently, so chance he might force himself in there, which I suspect has played a part.

There was talk of a fee being agreed. Any suggestion down your way how big a fee it would have been?

Interesting that you say he is more of a classic full back, given we are talking about playing with wing backs! 

No idea what the fee would be - not too much I suspect - and almost certainly will be 'undisclosed'.

Think it would be a decent move for everyone really by the sounds of it.

• Upvote 1

Pre-season training doesn't begin until tomorrow and yet we've signed EIGHT players, all bar one of them with prior experience of League Two. I've never seen us resemble a team who actually has a plan in such a manner before. I'm a little scared.

Pep Clotet (*who?!) now the HOT favourite! (4-5 on Skybet!)

It does seem like a few bets really throw the odds about! He was 16-1 this morning!

*Ex assistant at Swansea and Leeds with Monk, sounds promising...

On 27/06/2017 at 16:59, Tomox said:

Pep Clotet (*who?!) now the HOT favourite! (4-5 on Skybet!)

It does seem like a few bets really throw the odds about! He was 16-1 this morning!

*Ex assistant at Swansea and Leeds with Monk, sounds promising...

Now confirmed, I know nothing about him but at least the focus can now switch to pre-season.