neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

2 hours ago, Butters said:

That doesn't sound promising @neoELITE

Hadn't realised that his Dad is Rob Lee.

He made a lot of appearances for Luton Town so he can't be that bad. Looked at his stats and he only made 15 appearances on loan for us so maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

He scored this too.

My policy is to give every player a chance to show what they can do, so not writing him off or anything @neoELITE. Some long range strike.

It's interesting that Hearts are looking to the likes of Lee, Bradley etc, as it signals a slight change in transfer policy. We got Michael Smith from Peterborough last summer, but other than that we've tended to buy from abroad.

@Butters - the standard up there must be quite low for a "top flight".

We've had on our books players who've gone to or come from Scottish clubs:

Carl Mchugh

Peter Hartley

Craig Tanner

Paul Paton

Gregg Wylde

Jake Jervis

Gary Miller

Graham Carey

Lionel Ainsworth

Jordon Forster

There are probably players I've forgotten but out of that list, I'd probably only pick Carey and McHugh as being any good.

The simple fact is that most clubs up here, even some of the bigger ones, can't compete on wages with the Championship, or even at times with some League One clubs.

There are some good players up here, but when it comes to UK players, a lot of them are more expensive options than bringing in someone from abroad, and I think that's why Hearts at least, have looked to those markets first. Players from English sides have inflated prices due to the money being pumped in by TV.

However, there's also the quest to find someone who needs that step up, can then show what they can do, and be sold on. Look at Louis Moult at Motherwell/Preston and Liam Boyce at Ross County/Burton Albion for example. Moult cost Well nothing, and they sold him for half a million when he was pretty much out of contract. And he himself was reported to be earning nearly ten times at Preston than what he was at Well. 

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

@Butters - the standard up there must be quite low for a "top flight".

Scott Arfield is likely to be heading to Rangers on a free*. Much as he is a hero down here, he frankly didn't look good enough at times at Championship level two years ago.

*I assume it is still going ahead with the announcement of Stevie Mbe as manager.  After all, a midfielder who runs around a lot should be right up his alley.

Oh man, good player. Nolan came from Lincoln to join up with his best mate Sean Newton at Wrexham and was great for us whenever given a chance, but Gary Mills inexplicably chose to hardly play him so he buggered off to Grimsby instead and won promotion.

So Tranmere are promoted which was fully deserved. Over the course of the season and over the course of the game. Down to 10 men after a minute and losing their centre back to injury, but battled and rode their luck a couple of times to see off a generally piss poor Boreham Wood. I expect them to do pretty well in League 2 next season.

Just 16,300 there to see it. 500 Boreham Wood fans watching their club at Wembley for the first time would have been as ace as it is for all clubs, but staging these things down there is actually ludicrous whichever way you look at it. One thing nobody mentioned on the commentary is that Boreham Wood don't have a fans message board on the internet. Would this have meant that they weren't eligible to enter the football league and Barnet saved from relegation?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fatsam said:

So Tranmere are promoted which was fully deserved. Over the course of the season and over the course of the game. Down to 10 men after a minute and losing their centre back to injury, but battled and rode their luck a couple of times to see off a generally piss poor Boreham Wood. I expect them to do pretty well in League 2 next season.

Just 16,300 there to see it. 500 Boreham Wood fans watching their club at Wembley for the first time would have been as ace as it is for all clubs, but staging these things down there is actually ludicrous whichever way you look at it. One thing nobody mentioned on the commentary is that Boreham Wood don't have a fans message board on the internet. Would this have meant that they weren't eligible to enter the football league and Barnet saved from relegation?

I'm pleased with this result.  500 fans from the Wood - what a fucking joke - they brought 440 odd to Sutton.  Will hope to enjoy next season's fixture against them a lot more than the playoff.  A really big fish has escaped the NL which has to be good for everyone else.  I quite enjoyed the boisterous "we will not be moved" attitude of the Tranmere fans on their day trip to London before Xmas, but that lead to segregation for most of the rest of the season, even when there was absolutely no need for it.  

6 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Just 16,300 there to see it. 500 Boreham Wood fans watching their club at Wembley for the first time would have been as ace as it is for all clubs, but staging these things down there is actually ludicrous whichever way you look at it.

Before they started combining the Vase and Trophy in one non-league Finals day, I've seen it with less. Weird atmosphere. 

How can Boreham Wood get that close to the League with such a small fan base? 

Anyway, I was shocked to see this:

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-one

It's the average wage per league club. I expected the recently ex-Championship sides to be the highest in League 1 but Portsmouth's is quite surprising considering they've been a League 2 side for a while before going up to League 1 this season.  Given Plymouth Argyle's home attendances, to have an average weekly wage lower than Lincoln City and Forest Green Rovers is embarrassing.  

Shrewsbury made it to Wembley. Classic 1-0 wins in both legs against Charlton (that's pretty much how they've been all season). I still think Rotherham but the Shrews deserve it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, neoELITE said:

How can Boreham Wood get that close to the League with such a small fan base? 

Anyway, I was shocked to see this:

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-one

It's the average wage per league club. I expected the recently ex-Championship sides to be the highest in League 1 but Portsmouth's is quite surprising considering they've been a League 2 side for a while before going up to League 1 this season.  Given Plymouth Argyle's home attendances, to have an average weekly wage lower than Lincoln City and Forest Green Rovers is embarrassing.  

Shrewsbury made it to Wembley. Classic 1-0 wins in both legs against Charlton (that's pretty much how they've been all season). I still think Rotherham but the Shrews deserve it.

Yeah I had a feeling we paid quite high wages. It's how we were able to entice players like Brett Pitman to drop down to League 1. I think he's on about 5k a week at least plus bonuses.

5 hours ago, Butters said:

Any surprises in the retained/released list at Wrexham @Fatsam?

Holroyd staying is a good bit of business presumably?

As predicted.

Holroyd staying is good news. Rutherford had a pretty decent season on the wing for us too, working his socks off and providing quite a few assists, so it was right to offer something to him. Carrington is a solid pro and offers good cover in fullback and midfield positions. Dibble did well when he played, but will be second choice keeper I'd imagine.

The rest haven't been good enough and it was the right decision to release them. Apart from David Raven, I would have liked him to stay. But maybe he was seen as quite expensive for a defensive back up option of something,  I don't know.

So yeah, well done Ricketts. That's 12 players signed up for next season. Now to the task of building on that solid base and bringing in players who'll create and score us some goals. Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Salford are going places. That's a fantastic managerial signing.

Irritatingly yeah, I think they are. Must be on a fair wage to drop down to our level. Internet rumblings indicate that he'll have a silly budget next season too. 

18 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

@Carlos Valderrama - you're a single game away now from playing us twice again next season. The biggest prize in football :)

Great night! Two beautiful goals. Lincoln were dirty bastards. Great to beat them.

Can't bear another play off final defeat, though!

7 hours ago, Carlos Valderrama said:

Great night! Two beautiful goals. Lincoln were dirty bastards. Great to beat them.

Can't bear another play off final defeat, though!

Obviously, I hope you do make it. Who would you rather have in the final or does it even matter given it is a one-off game at a neutral venue? For the sake of the thread, let us hope it is Coventry City.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Obviously, I hope you do make it. Who would you rather have in the final or does it even matter given it is a one-off game at a neutral venue? For the sake of the thread, let us hope it is Coventry City.

Don't fancy either. Can we have Lincoln again??

Boy, Barnet really like to re-appoint a manager, don't they? John Still appointed for the third time, replacing Martin Allen who was in his fifth spell! 

I've decided I'm going to name my first-born Maxime. What a hero.

Kevin Nolan blaming everything on the officials and nothing to do with his team conceding five goals and being snidey throughout. Top man.

• Upvote 1

Rotherham vs Shrewsbury today - I'm expecting a low scoring game and I've had Rotherham down as the winners for quite some time. If the league table is anything to go by, Shrewsbury deserve it but Rotherham are probably the better equipped to go up into the Championship. They were hammered last season though. I'll go for a 2-1 Rotherham win.

Exeter tomorrow up against Coventry. Coventry will outnumber the Exeter fans 3 or 4 to 1 but I think Exeter will win. I'm expecting a 4-2 or a 5-3 in that game as both teams can score for fun.

I've got a bad feeling that we're losing it. We've used about four seasons' worth of our usual luck in the two legs against Notts County and Exeter being there last year and getting back again should give them the edge. They finished fourth in the league too so I couldn't complain too much.