Jump to content
neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

Recommended Posts

Slightly left field appointment, but heavy rumours suggest that Sam Ricketts is to be unveiled as our manager. 

He's been doing coaching at Wolves academy most recently. Did his UEFA A license down in Cardiff with our coach Carl Darlington so he'll know him and know how much potential he has.

 

In theory, I'm happy enough going for a  young rookie manager. They've generally done better than experienced managers for us since I've been a supporter. Brian Flynn was a genius and Brian Little was disastrous.  Popped some youtube interviews on and I'm relatively encouraged. He sounds like the sort who could make it in management. Not sure about his knowledge of none league football though. That's the biggest concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fatsam - looks like a sensible appointment. Sometimes, going for a tried and tested middle of the road lower league manager just means they'll be looking for another appointment if things start going awry. The good thing about young managers with something to prove is they work hard and want to be successful.

 

OOOOOOOOoooof - 7:45pm kick off is fast approaching. Scunthorpe vs Plymouth Argyle on Sky Sports. With half our first team/starting eleven out injured, it isn't looking good. It's basically a cup final - if either side win, they're virtually a play-off side. A draw probably will be just enough for Scunthorpe but we simply have to win. I don't expect to and I think missing so many players is going to be a step too far. Who knows though - if they treat it like a one-off game, a cup final, then you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost 2-0 at Scunthorpe. It's still mathematically possible for us to make the play offs if Charlton lose and we win on Saturday - but the goal swing needs to be 7 (e.g. 4-0 and 3-0) so no real chance of that happening as Charlton play Rochdale and we play Gillingham. 

 

We had the 15th highest budget this year so finishing 7th (we will) is an achievement from the manager and the paper-thin squad. We were rock bottom in December too. Our gates have averaged 10,500 at home and the budget was apparently set with average gates of 8,000 so in the 23 home games, that's over £800k of additional unbudgeted income. That's 3 very decent League 1 players - we need that next year to go up as I feel we have only got 3 decent League 1 players currently.

 

Last night Scunny deserved to beat us but immediately after their goal, we almost equalised with a Carey shot. 2nd half, we came out with much more fight and went for it but got sucker punched and it was game over. A shame really. Scunthorpe make the play-offs in front of a crowd just under 5,000 - that says it all.

 

Play offs will see Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton and Scunthorpe. In terms of next season, I can only see Charlton or Rotherham surviving in the Championship - both Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe are just too small to stay there. Rotherham were the whipping boys two seasons ago so Charlton really have a chance to get back to where they should be. 

 

I've had an interesting season following this lot.

 

Good luck to all involved in the play-offs especially @Carlos Valderrama - I'd like the Devon Derby back next season :)

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a weird season and not one I want to repeat next year from our perspective! We secured safety beating Rochdale at the weekend, which has put them right in it and depending on what Oldham do they might need to beat Charlton to survive.

 

Beating Donny, Southend, and Rochdale in fairly short order made it look pretty comfortable in the end but it was too close for comfort for me and a couple of goals going in the opposite direction could have put us in real trouble.

 

Robinson has already let a lot of players go that were signed by the previous manager (which seems a little odd as we still have a game left against Blackburn) and noises from the new chairman regarding the type of player we're looking to recruit sound positive. We've got the nucleus of a decent team to build on, so I'm hoping for a better summer recruitment this time and feel quietly optimistic we'll have a better stab at it next year.

 

Unlucky to just miss out on the playoffs @neoELITE (well unless something mental happens on the last day), given where you were earlier in the season it's quite the turnaround though. I guess it goes to show that a few injuries at the wrong time can really throw you off course, no coincidence that our downturn started when Nelson got injured.

 

See you all again next season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's arrived.

 

DcLyH50XkAAKMie.jpg

 

 

17 hours ago, neoELITE said:

@Fatsam - looks like a sensible appointment. Sometimes, going for a tried and tested middle of the road lower league manager just means they'll be looking for another appointment if things start going awry. The good thing about young managers with something to prove is they work hard and want to be successful.

 

Yeah, I agree. He spoke well at the press conference too. I'm feeling positive.

 

Our media team really excelled themselves with his unveiling in video form... 

 

https://twitter.com/Wrexham_AFC/status/991610816742002688 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Lost 2-0 at Scunthorpe. It's still mathematically possible for us to make the play offs if Charlton lose and we win on Saturday - but the goal swing needs to be 7 (e.g. 4-0 and 3-0) so no real chance of that happening as Charlton play Rochdale and we play Gillingham. 

 

We had the 15th highest budget this year so finishing 7th (we will) is an achievement from the manager and the paper-thin squad. We were rock bottom in December too. Our gates have averaged 10,500 at home and the budget was apparently set with average gates of 8,000 so in the 23 home games, that's over £800k of additional unbudgeted income. That's 3 very decent League 1 players - we need that next year to go up as I feel we have only got 3 decent League 1 players currently.

 

Last night Scunny deserved to beat us but immediately after their goal, we almost equalised with a Carey shot. 2nd half, we came out with much more fight and went for it but got sucker punched and it was game over. A shame really. Scunthorpe make the play-offs in front of a crowd just under 5,000 - that says it all.

 

Play offs will see Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton and Scunthorpe. In terms of next season, I can only see Charlton or Rotherham surviving in the Championship - both Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe are just too small to stay there. Rotherham were the whipping boys two seasons ago so Charlton really have a chance to get back to where they should be. 

 

I've had an interesting season following this lot.

 

Good luck to all involved in the play-offs especially @Carlos Valderrama - I'd like the Devon Derby back next season :)

 

Yeah you've done well to turn your season around. Next season I can see you pushing for automatic promotion with the right squad investment.

 

Similarly, with Pompey I feel if we're shrewd about who we buy in the summer then I only can see us improving on this season. Overall, I'm still pleased with the season. It looks like a Top 10 finish which is not bad for our first season back in L1. Shame we couldn't quite make that playoff push but inconsistency let us down and that's something we'll need to work on next season.

Also, Matt Clarke got voted as our Player of the Season at the awards dinner last night. Nice to see as he's been so consistent this year - one of the few defenders who has - and it's good that's been recognised. Pitman got a lot of goals but Matty saved us a few points too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Yeah, I agree. He spoke well at the press conference too. I'm feeling positive.

 

 

Given Wrexham were in the running until Keates left, what do you think the main things Ricketts needs to address are @Fatsam? Will he lose many players over the summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just read an article on the Guardian suggesting Chesterfield will be playing National League football next season with a wage bill of £2m.  I read in the Times Monday that Macclesfield won the National league (after many financial travails but comfortably enough in the end on the pitch) with one of the lowest wage budgets of £350k.  I tried to look up Sutton Utd's accounts at Companies House, but they have filed abbreviated ones which do not reveal any profit and loss account detail so I don't know how their wage bill compares but I would guess it's closer to Macclesfield than Chesterfield..  The FA cup receipts contributed to a profit of £830K for the year to 31 May 2017 after a loss of £200k the previous year, and the cash was used to repay Doswell's loans to the club for the construction of the 3G pitch (£400k) and for ground improvements and new signings.     I suppose this play-off campaign, however short it turns out to be, will provide another minor cash fillip since it would have been un-budgeted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

 I suppose this play-off campaign, however short it turns out to be, will provide another minor cash fillip since it would have been un-budgeted.

1

 

As far as I am aware, the EFL play-offs are split 4 ways for all of those who qualify. Income revenue is totalled up and it is evenly distributed - including the final. 

 

A wage bill of £2m is insane if it includes just players. Our running costs for the entire club at Plymouth Argyle are (allegedly) around £6m at League 1 level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burtons is £8m in the Championship.  That was Burnley's wage bill (before bonuses) when they got promoted to the Premier League in 2014.  The upwards pressure on wages through the divisions is terrible.

 

Chesterfield is probably a hangover from their push to get into the Championship.  I'm sad to see them drop out of the League, I have fond memories of going to their old ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 million seems slightly high, but I've seen educated guesses indicating Layton Orient's wage bill was getting on for 1.5 million last season.  The larger parachute payments they get these days does boost relegated teams budgets significantly. 

 

I think ours will have been 750 thousand or something like that. Boosted over the previous season's with sell on clause money and fan contributions to build the budget.

 

6 hours ago, Butters said:

 

Given Wrexham were in the running until Keates left, what do you think the main things Ricketts needs to address are @Fatsam? Will he lose many players over the summer?

 

We were in the running based on our defence. We had the best defence in the league and our back 4 and two central midfielders are under contract for next season so you'd think we'll be pretty strong in that area again assuming nobody comes in with offers we can't refuse for Pearson and Manny Smith. But we also scored fewer than 50 goals.  Creative players and forwards were far more hit and miss for us and that's principally the issue that needs addressing.  They are all out of contract apart from Deverdics, so we'll be resigning a couple and releasing a few I reckon. Top scorer Holroyd may get better offers elsewhere though. We could do with a new keeper too. Pretty much everyone's been out of contract in the summer in recent years, so I think it'll end up being the smallest number of ins and outs we've had in quite some time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clubs that get relegated only get parachute payments from the Premier League don't they? 

 

It isn't always wages that make a team successful though - Blackburn Rovers and QPR spring to mind. It certainly can help a lot though.  I think in League 1, other than Shrewsbury, the teams with big budgets have ended up at the top. League 2 probably not - The Championship definitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Burnley's wage bill (before bonuses) when they got promoted to the Premier League in 2014. 

 

 

You have your own thread. Nobody likes Burnley apart from you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Clubs that get relegated only get parachute payments from the Premier League don't they? 

 

It isn't always wages that make a team successful though - Blackburn Rovers and QPR spring to mind. It certainly can help a lot though.  I think in League 1, other than Shrewsbury, the teams with big budgets have ended up at the top. League 2 probably not - The Championship definitely.

 

Can't find the exact figures, but they trippled the total parachute payments a couple of season's ago.  2/3 paid the first year and 1/3 the second. Orient and Hartlepool will have got something like 500 thousand each last season I think. So more than some teams total budgets. Then half that next season. But yeah, Lincoln's budget wasn't the biggest and Macclesfield was one of the smallest, so it isn't always about the money. 

 

It obviously can be a huge factor though. Fleetwood's budget was meant to actually be 2 million when they got themselves promoted. And Dale Vince's million pound plus budgets season after season eventually paid off for Forest Green.

 

 Ebbsfleet went through on penalties against Aldershot in the playoffs tonight.

 

And Kidderminster lost to Bradford Park Avenue and Stockport lost to Chorley in the National League North. The two sides I most wanted to go up :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: parachute payments and Sunderland

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-parachute-payments-exclusive-study-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

Quote

Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough all received at least £40m without kicking a ball this season, compensation from those on high for failing to maintain their place in the richest league on earth.

 

 

Sunderland will get £25m next season and £20m for the following campaign – riches beyond the wildest dreams of their potential opponents in English football’s generally impoverished third tier. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the Cov game on Saturday, we needed a point to guarantee a playoff spot. Morecambe needed a point to stay up ahead of Barnet. There was no collusion but what happened was the most 0-0 game I'd ever seen, with neither team showing any interest in even threatening to score after about an hour. A number of times we'd get in a position to cross and instead send it back to the fullback. Barnet's relegation is obviously down to what they did in the other 45 games before the weekend, but I can't help feel sorry for them. I felt cheated out of a competitive match and got something out of it still, they must be absolutely raging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sutton crashed out of the Play-offs at their first attempt on Saturday, losing 3:2 to Boredom Borham Wood (spell check got this one right).  I think Doswell got our team selection wrong for this one and the team which finished the game should have started (with Aswad still on as left back since there was a late free kick from the right I'm sure he would have done better with).  Crazy stupid trying long balls to Tommy Wright with their man mountain centre backs.  Once again the better football was played by the visitors. Unfortunately I felt sick during the second half after standing in the heat and missed the two late goals.  Obviously most of the crowd wanted at least a day out at Wembley but I'm not unhappy at having reasonably priced football within walking distance again for another season.  Good luck to Tranmere in the final - a giant fish out of water in the NL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wullie said:

At the Cov game on Saturday, we needed a point to guarantee a playoff spot. Morecambe needed a point to stay up ahead of Barnet. There was no collusion but what happened was the most 0-0 game I'd ever seen, with neither team showing any interest in even threatening to score after about an hour. A number of times we'd get in a position to cross and instead send it back to the fullback. Barnet's relegation is obviously down to what they did in the other 45 games before the weekend, but I can't help feel sorry for them. I felt cheated out of a competitive match and got something out of it still, they must be absolutely raging.

 

I've seen one of those games before and they stink. I am fairly sure it was Oxford United - last home game and last game of the season and both sides needed a point to avoid some bizarre mathematical twist of fate in a couple other games. It ended 0-0 and neither side had a shot closer than 50 yards.

 

Huddersfield and Barnsley did it a few years ago in the Championship too and there's footage of it here - the keeper basically doesn't play the ball and nobody cares.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boreham Wood are a tiny club. Comfortably the smallest in the league with about 600 fans. Accrington and Morecambe are giants of the game in comparison.

It would be a bit strange having a them in the football league, but you're welcome to them.

 

Yes I also selfishly want to keep our big local game against Tranmere intact. We've already lost Chester. 

Salford Fucking City are the closest after them. I'm not particularly looking forward to them blitzing the league next season. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Boreham Wood are a tiny club. Comfortably the smallest in the league with about 600 fans. Accrington and Morecambe are giants of the game in comparison.

It would be a bit strange having a them in the football league, but you're welcome to them.

 

Yes I also selfishly want to keep our big local game against Tranmere intact. We've already lost Chester. 

Salford Fucking City are the closest after them. I'm not particularly looking forward to them blitzing the league next season. :(

 

LOL,  that's why we were singing "you'll only fill one block".

 

I expect we will struggle to finish as highly next season with so many sugar daddies and ex FL clubs in the mix.  Been a great 3 years for SU fans though with promotion, the FA cup run (which only gets better with time, a bit like the Arsenal Invincibles) and the 3rd place.  Back in the days when I went to a few fixtures a year during interlulls etc I recall we were in the Ryman Premier division, playing in front of the proverbial older men and their dogs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my playoff ticket for Exeter Lincoln. Got a baaaad feeling about this year. It's a tough game and then either Coventry or Notts County if we do get through. Gulp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got my ticket for our home tie with Notts County, I kind of wish I could spend longer in this time before the match where everything could go really well as we've got a noted history of shitting the bed whenever we get a big expectant crowd in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Butters said:

The Sun (yeah, I know...) has Hearts linked with Sonny Bradley at Plymouth.

 

Any good @neoELITE?

 

He's a big lad - lacks some pace. I quite like him and he's improved since being here. I think he works in our team well and he's had two decent partners in defence since he's been here that have really helped him. @Coltrane might tell you different as he was once at Portsmouth. I'd not rate him at being able to play upper level Scottish Premier League but he's a decent League 1 level centre half. He does struggle against mobile strikers but he's captain material and he's committed and does care about playing football - he's prone to the odd red card mind :)

 

There are rumours he's going because our manager doesn't see him as our next captain and the club have offered him a very similar contract to his contract from League 2 - he's apparently not happy. Luton Town have been linked with him for a long time. 

 

Age is in his favour and I think he'll get better. 

 

Our forum is suggesting Rangers or Bolton. I can't see Bolton as he's not good enough for the Championship.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers @neoELITE.  The same article suggests Rangers won't go for him. It is The Sun though, so who knows.

 

Looks like we are signing Olly Lee from Luton, who was pictured at our game last night v the Wee Team (which was great fun!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Cracking goal for Shrewsbury

 

It was and Charlton have to score twice at Shrewsbury - Shrewsbury have a very good defensive record this season. They deserve to get to Wembley as they've been up in the top two and then the top three all season.

 

I fancy Rotherham to go up but I'd love to see Shrewsbury do it.

 

@Butters - Olly Lee played for us in League 2. I think I remember him having one good game - I'm not sure if he's improved a lot while at Luton but he was "one to avoid". I really didn't rate him at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.