Jump to content
neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non-League and any other League (inc Sunday League) 2017-18

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

He's just blocked him off, happens all the time - the guy goes down holding his face like he's been punched or elbowed by god himself. An absolute disgrace of a decision to send him off (it was a straight red he was given) for that, and, like I said, ironic considering it was all your players talking about how horrible and unacceptable diving is.

 

We'll appeal it, but it won;t be changed. Northampton had a guy sent off against us last week and our player at the time made it clear he wasn't touched. He actually told the ref it was not a sending off. We also supported the appeal made by Northampton. But the FA upheld it still. It's a bonkers system that is terrified to go against the referee.

 

Not commenting on the Taylor challenge that received no punishment then or the scuffing of a penalty spot? I'm not sure if you're trying to paint your players as innocent victims of some homer ref but the ref actually gave more fouls to Peterborough.  The team are led by someone who makes Neil Warnock look like Walter The Softy from the Beano. It permeates the sides he manages.

 

The full back clearly checks into Carey and from that angle, you have no idea which body part collided with Carey - nor do I.  In real time, it was a hefty collision.  One thing about our side (at the start of this season) was we were naïve and teams certainly did kick our key players off the park - maybe our players have been told to make the ref "aware" of when they've been fouled. In the first half, one of your lads got booked as he went down after a challenge, no free kick was given and ten seconds later, he's up sprinting after the player who challenged him and a melee ensued - your player got booked for that. That was in the same game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not commenting on the Taylor challenge as I've not seen it - if he deserved to go then he should have gone. You seem very upset by the scuffing of the spot - like that is some major issue. I mean honestly, it does nothing. Your lad still put the ball down on whatever spot he wanted before he took the kick.

 

I'm not going to get involved in any tit-for-tat, but in my opinion that video clearly shows your player going down deliberately holding his face in an effort to get a player he almost certainly knows has already been booked, sent off. It's very clear to me and I'm surprised you're trying to defend it to be honest. At least hold your hands up and say what you see - a pretty clear dive that did the job and conned the ref.

 

The game was scruffy on both sides, neither team emerged covered in any degree of glory - I'll admit that, even if you don't seem to want to on your end. We're absolutely not a 'rough' side though, we just don't have the players for it (it's what we're missing if anything).

 

Best of luck for the rest of the season - who knows, maybe we'll see each other in the play offs? (doubt we'll make it to be honest, but there are some twists and turns left yet I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rgraves said:

I'm not commenting on the Taylor challenge as I've not seen it - if he deserved to go then he should have gone. You seem very upset by the scuffing of the spot - like that is some major issue. I mean honestly, it does nothing. Your lad still put the ball down on whatever spot he wanted before he took the kick.

 

I'm not going to get involved in any tit-for-tat, but in my opinion that video clearly shows your player going down deliberately holding his face in an effort to get a player he almost certainly knows has already been booked, sent off. It's very clear to me and I'm surprised you're trying to defend it to be honest. At least hold your hands up and say what you see - a pretty clear dive that did the job and conned the ref.

 

The game was scruffy on both sides, neither team emerged covered in any degree of glory - I'll admit that, even if you don't seem to want to on your end. We're absolutely not a 'rough' side though, we just don't have the players for it (it's what we're missing if anything).

 

Best of luck for the rest of the season - who knows, maybe we'll see each other in the play offs? (doubt we'll make it to be honest, but there are some twists and turns left yet I think).

5

 

Taylor should've been sent off twice before he finally got a second yellow and he was ruffing up our centre-forward from minute 1 until the end. If you haven't seen it, watch the Sky highlights. Your fullback (was it Sheperd) did the exact same thing repeatedly and was warned many times and booked for it too in the first half. What is our player supposed to do when he's been fouled continually by the same player? He could retaliate and get booked I suppose but that would be a bit stupid. The penalty spot incident also followed Taylor basically standing in the area and delaying the penalty - it was classic gamesmanship and bad sportsmanship too - that stems from the manager.

 

I'm not sure if you went but we played some very neat football, created chances and attacked. Peterborough seemed so want to play for a draw as soon as we equalised. It isn't tit-for-tat either. You scored one goal and had one shot on target; you didn't look like a team near the top. On reflection, it was a comfortable home win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Butters said:

What's the thoughts on Wrexham since Keates left @Fatsam? Looks like the draws have continued - will they make it to the play-offs?

 

Definitely had a negative impact on the team. The draws have continued, but on the pitch we are struggling more than at any other point this season. Two away draws in a row where we were ahead against 10 men and the opposition equalised and we were really poor in our home loss against Boreham Wood on East Monday. We've also got a tough 4 games coming up including a crucial one away at playoff chasing Ebbsfleet this evening. We are most certainly in danger of slipping out of the playoffs. Avoiding defeat tonight is critical. Our home game against Fylde on the last day of the season looks potentially massive too.

 

Bit of a shit time to lose your manager really.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the timing was terrible. The difficulty is that even if they make the play-offs, they don't have much momentum behind them to take into those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFC Wimbledon beat Charlton tonight. That's done everyone (apart from Charlton) chasing a play off place a big favour. We've got a game in hand over all of the others. I think, if we get the win on Saturday against Portsmouth, we'll get a play off place as we've won something like 13 of the last 14 home games and it's a sell out so, by the rules of the football Gods, it'll be a resounding loss as Plymouth Argyle rarely do anything easily.

 

Northampton lost and they look nailed on to go down now as they have 4 games left and they're 4 points adrift of Oldham. Bury have 5 games left and are 14 points adrift of Oldham but Oldham have 7 games left. It's looking likely that the bottom 4 won't change. Rochdale, Northampton, MK Dons and Bury.

 

At the top, Wigan go back to the top on goal difference with a game in hand over Blackburn. Wigan have a very easy run in now. They play Rotherham on Saturday so that might mean that 3 play off places are up for grabs if the chasing pack all get points. 

 

I love this part of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sutton are on a really dismal run of 3 defeats, just at the wrong time in the season too.  I was too depressed to even post about the 0:3 mauling by local rivals Bromley (I also got home to find I'd missed a raffle prize by 1 ticket).  Maybe the team are nervous or simply, as part timers, fatigued (last nights full schedule of matches were all re-arranged from earlier postponements).  I renewed my season ticket for a good price, had a slight wobble when I thought that might entail travel to Kingston or somewhere else for home games, then realised that promotion for this lot is not a realistic prospect, and never has been, despite the old adage of the "table never lies".  Macclesfield are romping to the title and if they are not careful Sutton will slide down and out of the play-offs too.  We have Hartlepool and Aldershot at home and Ebbsfleet away to come, so no easy games in that lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Sutton are on a really dismal run of 3 defeats, just at the wrong time in the season too.  I was too depressed to even post about the 0:3 mauling by local rivals Bromley (I also got home to find I'd missed a raffle prize by 1 ticket).  Maybe the team are nervous or simply, as part timers, fatigued (last nights full schedule of matches were all re-arranged from earlier postponements).  I renewed my season ticket for a good price, had a slight wobble when I thought that might entail travel to Kingston or somewhere else for home games, then realised that promotion for this lot is not a realistic prospect, and never has been, despite the old adage of the "table never lies".  Macclesfield are romping to the title and if they are not careful Sutton will slide down and out of the play-offs too.  We have Hartlepool and Aldershot at home and Ebbsfleet away to come, so no easy games in that lot.

 

Play-offs are normally about momentum.  It's not often the best team or the team with the most points who get through it.

 

Part of me really wants Plymouth Argyle in the play-offs but then again, part of me doesn't as, if we do get there and don't go up, next season could easily fall apart off the back of it. You also lose players from the squad who got you there as they become sought after. 

League 2 is a very competitive league - would Sutton have the infrastructure and the squad to survive it?  There are plenty of League 2 players on £1000 per week - that's a fair old amount of cash to find for an entire squad. Barnet did have running costs of £2m a year when they were in League 2 a few years back so I imagine it's probably a little more than £2m to run a side in League 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

League 2 is a very competitive league - would Sutton have the infrastructure and the squad to survive it?  There are plenty of League 2 players on £1000 per week - that's a fair old amount of cash to find for an entire squad. Barnet did have running costs of £2m a year when they were in League 2 a few years back so I imagine it's probably a little more than £2m to run a side in League 2.

 

Extremely doubtful - our players are part time at present, and even with that arrangement there has been a lot of fiddling around with short term loans to manage the budget (and form / fitness of course but I get the impression part of it is budgetary).  We would also have to pay rent for the privilege of playing our home games at Kingston, Tooting & Mitcham, Carshalton Athletic or wherever has been decided (there was reference to this in an earlier programme - they are not ripping up the artificial pitch since it's used by teams borough-wide, all age groups, various ladies teams etc).  Crowds are 1800-2200 most of the time.   I don't watch League 2 but surely the standard would be too high for us - we seem to lack any real pattern of play most of the time and the defence is so leaky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I'll be more than happy with a draw on Saturday @Coltrane - what about you?

 

Well, considering Charlton lost to Wimbledon last night I would take a draw for sure. We have a decent away record but then again, we only just scraped a draw with Rochdale on Saturday and your form is pretty stellar at the moment. I would make you favourites to beat us to be honest but we are unbeaten in 5 games (3 wins, 2 draws) so we'll see how the game pans out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matchday. Sun's out in Plymouth, no wind and it's a sell out. Two sides chasing the play offs, two sides in form and the atmosphere should be amazing this afternoon. It has 0-0 written all over it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Matchday. Sun's out in Plymouth, no wind and it's a sell out. Two sides chasing the play offs, two sides in form and the atmosphere should be amazing this afternoon. It has 0-0 written all over it :)

 

You cursed it @neoELITE ;) Sounds like it was a pretty even game judging by reports, although we did have a chance to win it in injury time.

Pleased we managed to keep Carey fairly quiet as well. Whatmough marshalled him fairly well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sutton1: Hartlepool 1

 

Pleasant afternoon in warm sun intermittently interrupted by excitement on the pitch.  Having scored early doors Sutton spurned several good chances, only to concede as is their won't.  That looked to be that until Lafayette had a golden chance as the very last kick of the game.  Others don't seem to have capitalised so we stay 3rd for now.

 

Interesting factoid - Hartlepool supporters were displaying banners describing themselves as "monkey hangers" which apparently refers to the legendary hanging of a monkey as a French spy during the Napoleonic wars.  Charming!  Also, strange to see a Mansfield stag replace the old nautical ship's wheel as club badge.

2018-04-14 15.55.26.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coltrane said:

 

You cursed it @neoELITE ;) Sounds like it was a pretty even game judging by reports, although we did have a chance to win it in injury time.

Pleased we managed to keep Carey fairly quiet as well. Whatmough marshalled him fairly well.

 

Our only centre-forward didn't play and we were all worried before kick-off that we'd lose. We kept the ball well and played some neat stuff. Our midfield duo were superb. Portsmouth had no midfield at all today but you had a chance in the first half that Pitman scuffed and yes, our right back headed it against the bar/post in injury time. 

 

I just got back from my social club and we're doing an open thing for away fans this season - it must be on some kind of social media site as there were at least 50 Pompey fans there today who were all staying over and I sat next to a chap in full Pompey regalia - shirt, trackie bottoms and a Pompey hat and hoodie and he agreed it was a point well earned for both sides. It was a really good game - no bookings either. The guy I was sat next to runs a taxi company in Portsmouth - the number is 787878 - I did a jingle song for him on his iphone so expect to hear from me on Portsmouth local radio.

 

We're only the taxi firm that's great - 787878!

 

Good day today. Full house, no trouble. Both sets of fans happy. The guys in the social club were all really friendly people and I must admit, I like Portsmouth fans now (the ones I met) as we're in the same boat - you probably had a bigger boat to start with though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 19:31, neoELITE said:

 

Our only centre-forward didn't play and we were all worried before kick-off that we'd lose. We kept the ball well and played some neat stuff. Our midfield duo were superb. Portsmouth had no midfield at all today but you had a chance in the first half that Pitman scuffed and yes, our right back headed it against the bar/post in injury time. 

 

I just got back from my social club and we're doing an open thing for away fans this season - it must be on some kind of social media site as there were at least 50 Pompey fans there today who were all staying over and I sat next to a chap in full Pompey regalia - shirt, trackie bottoms and a Pompey hat and hoodie and he agreed it was a point well earned for both sides. It was a really good game - no bookings either. The guy I was sat next to runs a taxi company in Portsmouth - the number is 787878 - I did a jingle song for him on his iphone so expect to hear from me on Portsmouth local radio.

 

We're only the taxi firm that's great - 787878!

 

Good day today. Full house, no trouble. Both sets of fans happy. The guys in the social club were all really friendly people and I must admit, I like Portsmouth fans now (the ones I met) as we're in the same boat - you probably had a bigger boat to start with though.

 

That's pretty cool that there were away fans invited to your social club and it was a good natured affair. The vast majority of Pompey fans are pretty decent. The troublemakers were weeded out years ago and we don't have the same rep we used to - which was mainly down to the 657 crew and their moronic behaviour.

 

I remember when I was pretty young in the early 80s and witnessing running battles between Pompey and Milwall fans. Thankfully, those days seem to be over now.

 

Pretty tight at the top still after Saturdays games. Gonna be a really close run in. Your game in hand could well work in your favour, if you take advantage of it. We've got 4 games left and I reckon we need to win at least 3 of them but, of course, it depends on how other teams do as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Coltrane - you've got Bradford tomorrow and Peterborough play Blackburn on Thursday.

 

That could see Peterborough out of it (realistically) and leave only Charlton and us for 6th  or 5th. We have yet to play Scunthorpe and we also have Rotherham left.  People on Saturday after the game were all saying we'd finish 5th and Portsmouth will finish 6th. Maybe last weekend won't be the last game we'll play against you this season.

 

Yes, it was nice to mingle with the Pompey lot and generally, the away fans have been really good people who've come along - apart from the Bristol lot who had a fight on the way to the club from the ground. Bradford brought a few and Southend and Charlton but there were probably more Pompey fans than Argyle fans on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 12:58, neoELITE said:

@Coltrane - you've got Bradford tomorrow and Peterborough play Blackburn on Thursday.

 

That could see Peterborough out of it (realistically) and leave only Charlton and us for 6th  or 5th. We have yet to play Scunthorpe and we also have Rotherham left.  People on Saturday after the game were all saying we'd finish 5th and Portsmouth will finish 6th. Maybe last weekend won't be the last game we'll play against you this season.

 

Yes, it was nice to mingle with the Pompey lot and generally, the away fans have been really good people who've come along - apart from the Bristol lot who had a fight on the way to the club from the ground. Bradford brought a few and Southend and Charlton but there were probably more Pompey fans than Argyle fans on Saturday.

 

Yep, to say we've got to win tonight is an understatement. My concern is Bradford's godawful pitch which they don't seem to have sorted out, despite it being bad for a while now. Having said that, Bradford are hardly in great form either so we really need to take advantage of that tonight. Because Charlton next will be a really tough game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch. Portsmouth have lost tonight and drop to 8th. Your game against Charlton is a must win now. Charlton won 0-2 at Shrewsbury (98th minute 2nd goal). Shrewsbury didn't register a single shot on target. They're really falling to bits now when it looked like they'd achieve the impossible and get into the Championship. I don't fancy Shrewsbury's chances in the play offs. We have two games in hand over Charlton and we play Northampton on Saturday. It's really tight though. 

 

League 2 and Accrington have gone up tonight. Well done and thoroughly deserved. They've been up there for years. Exeter win @Carlos Valderrama - they've still got a chance and it looks 110% likely they're in the play offs. 3 games to go and it would come down to some freakish results and goal difference for them not to make it. Good luck to them - I've missed the Devon derby a bit this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we sucked tonight. Managed to equalise with an absolute pearler from Pitman and then Clarke and Donohue proceeded to just gift a goal to Bradford by being completely indecisive at the back. Yeah goes without saying we need to beat Charlton and, if we don't, then forget the playoffs completely. I think we might even be out of it now but it depends on how other teams get on around us of course. But we're running out of games.

 

Never should have lost that match tonight but KJ insists on playing this 4-1-4-1 formation away from home. As soon as he bought a sub on and switched 4-2-3-1, we equalised..but, it's academic. We got outplayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Yeah we sucked tonight. Managed to equalise with an absolute pearler from Pitman and then Clarke and Donohue proceeded to just gift a goal to Bradford by being completely indecisive at the back. Yeah goes without saying we need to beat Charlton and, if we don't, then forget the playoffs completely. I think we might even be out of it now but it depends on how other teams get on around us of course. But we're running out of games.

 

Never should have lost that match tonight but KJ insists on playing this 4-1-4-1 formation away from home. As soon as he bought a sub on and switched 4-2-3-1, we equalised..but, it's academic. We got outplayed.

 

Charlton have you, Blackburn and are also away to Rochdale. Peterborough have Blackburn, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and you. Scunthorpe have to play us but look like they have a fairly easy-ish run in (but their form is really poor). You can beat both Charlton and Peterborough and that'll change things - even winning one of those (Charlton) will make a big difference.  We have Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Northampton, Rochdale and Gillingham.  I've never like games in hand as people assume that if you have two games in hand, that's 6 points - it doesn't work like that. Of all the games we have left, the two that worry me most are Northampton (this weekend - they need to win that or they'll be virtually relegated) and Gillingham (last game of the season, away from home with a team with not much to play for). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following last night's defeat at Maidenhead, it seems the Sutton slide is in full spate still and we don't have any excuse that I am aware of - injuries say or the loss of a manager like @Fatsam's Wrexham.  I think it's possible we could avoid the playoffs altogether at this rate, looking quickly at the remaining fixtures, or at the best have to play the whole campaign which would likely see us fall again at the first hurdle.  All very strange and I'm sure the key is psychological.  if you asked me how we would do at the start of the season, I would have settled for mid table with an improvement in away form (this is our second season at this level - last season we finished 12th with 58 points), so in absolute terms it's been a good season, just very hard to explain the falling-away (1 win in 7 against poor Chester).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should finish in the playoffs, but you're playing Ebbsfleet and Aldershot, so that could quite easily be two losses. Could be a nervy last game of the season for you.

 

Gutting to be ending the season in this way. We've collapsed. If we somehow beat Leyton Orient on Saturday it will go down to that final match against Fylde at home so it's not all over yet. Although I kind of half hope Orient put us out of our misery on Saturday and results go against us  to be honest. Our only faint hope if we did get in the playoffs would be three penalty shootouts. And I wouldn't want to have to endure that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Brett Pitman in the L1 team of the year?! He scored 22 goals. Bit harsh if you ask me. I mean, don't get me wrong, Will Grigg has been great for Wigan but Pitman's scored 4 more goals and played really well, albeit he was out for a while injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coltrane said:

No Brett Pitman in the L1 team of the year?! He scored 22 goals. Bit harsh if you ask me. I mean, don't get me wrong, Will Grigg has been great for Wigan but Pitman's scored 4 more goals and played really well, albeit he was out for a while injured.

 

No Graham Carey either. 12 goals and 12 assists this season so far. They put Dack in - Dack's a horrible little dickhead. They also chose Graham - he's scored 13 with 7 assists for Blackburn. It's basically a load of bollocks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

 

No Graham Carey either. 12 goals and 12 assists this season so far. They put Dack in - Dack's a horrible little dickhead. They also chose Graham - he's scored 13 with 7 assists for Blackburn. It's basically a load of bollocks. 

 

Yeah it is a load of bollocks, you're right. 12 goals and 12 assists is a great return in a season. I think a lot of it is down to how these particular players are chosen. And it's probably political or just favours certain teams and players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only going by this (haven't seen much/any League One this season) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers - but Carey has played a more than the likes of Grigg and Dack with lower return, and had longer between goals. 

 

Not sure why Pittman hasn't been picked though. His return seems great based on those stats. As for Dack, 16 goals is decent. Can't comment on his personality.

 

All of that is purely based on the stats from that page though - no idea what their actual performances have been kilke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Butters said:

I'm only going by this (haven't seen much/any League One this season) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers - but Carey has played a more than the likes of Grigg and Dack with lower return, and had longer between goals. 

 

Not sure why Pittman hasn't been picked though. His return seems great based on those stats. As for Dack, 16 goals is decent. Can't comment on his personality.

 

All of that is purely based on the stats from that page though - no idea what their actual performances have been kilke!

 

We lost a lot of games at the start and Graham Carey was instrumental in taking us from bottom place at Xmas to the play-off race and we're likely to get there too. He sets the tempo for the entire team and opposition teams try and mark him out of the game. It's a lot easier playing for Blackburn and Wigan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.