JohnC

Watchmen coming to HBO

14 hours ago, Rowan Morrison said:

I think the opening of Watchmen might be the piece of film that makes me angriest in the whole wide world*, with its 'whores' tableau, ham-fisted and inexplicable Last Supper crib, and gun-with-flower-going-off scene that we all enjoyed 11 years earlier in The Simpsons. If you ask me Snyder should be forced at gun point to eat the negatives, but I suppose it's too late now.

* And I saw Bad Boy Bubby at the cinema**.

** Sorry, I can't remember which film I used last time I hypocritically recycled this joke.

I rewatched those opening titles earlier today (via the Wonder Woman thread's Art of the Title link), and I still think it's probably the best bit of the film. It's one of the few parts which isn't just taking the images of the comic and putting them on film, but does something that the comic could not have done. It takes advantage of the strengths of its medium just as Moore and Gibbons set out to do with theirs, which arguably makes that sequence a more faithful translation of the comic's spirit than any of the directly copied panel compositions elsewhere in the film.

I agree about the Last Supper shot though. Even for a sequence which has a lot of on the nose moments (the murdered lesbians set to the lyric "Don't criticise what you can't understand"), that one sticks out. That painting gets pastiched and parodied really often (I blame The Da Vinci Code!), and it normally comes across as a way to get a smirk of recognition from the audience rather than because it adds something: "oh, so that character there must be a bit like Judas" is usually about as far as it goes. Also, the other shots in the sequence that are based on famous pictures give a sense of how the superheroes affected history at the time those photos were taken, which means a recreation of a painting from hundreds of years earlier doesn't quite fit.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they're taking it in a different direction. And after The Leftovers I've got a lot of faith in Lindelof. In fact they did a similar thing with The Leftovers, started with an original text and then went their own way with it, and the show really came to life once they had departed (sorry) from the book.

He probably shouldn't have tried to ape Alan Moore's writing unless his express purpose was to show how much worse he is at it than him.

• Upvote 1

They've hired some cast for the pilot. Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens and Andrew Howard.

I'd guess that Irons would be playing Hollis Mason. I can't think of anyone else who'd be the right age and type, except for Moloch, possibly. Could be a completely new character.

I like the idea of a modern take on things, but it's still needless greed, the graphic novel is still good enough. You are still taking the chance of ruining things.

At least if Hollywood hacks always try to ruin the same things we'll never have to put up with horrific, point-missing interpretations of other classics.

57 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

It’s no use. Still angry that Lindelof is allowed to do this instead of driving a rubbish truck.

You've seen The Leftovers right?

• Upvote 3

As a character study of broken people, The Leftovers is pretty much peerless as a piece of television in recent years. I can't think of anyone better qualified than Lindeloff to take this on.

• Upvote 3

Apt, I just watched the film for the first time recently, as it popped up on Prime. It was about 3.5 hours long, and I enjoyed it immensely. I don't know the source material, so I was all "I get that reference" when he said the 35 minutes ago line.

I had no idea the film was so universally disliked here, I really like it!  I did see it years after reading the book so maybe the distance helped.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with the series.

Rumours are that Jeremy Irons is doing some filming for this at Penrhyn Castle in Bangor, North Wales. He's been spotted at a local restaurant nearby.

40 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Is this a continuation of  what happened after the book/movie or a different take on things?

Same “universe” but different characters and a new story. I think there are one or two characters from the comic/film that will appear.