Everton v Stoke City
Manchester United v West Ham United
Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
Southampton v Swansea City
Watford v Liverpool
West Bromwich Albion v AFC Bournemouth

https://www.premierleague.com/news/408956

Carabao is the name of a Thai energy drink that means "Red Buffalo"

not to be confused with that other, similarly titled, Thai energy drink that sponsors a number of sporting events.

If Opta's Twitter feed is to be believed then someone at the Premier League has an extremely nerdy sense of humour as Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle all have opening day fixtures against the the clubs they played in their final game in the top flight the last time they were there. 

• Upvote 2

Looking down our fixtures and seeing Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal etc.. It hasn't quite sunk in even now. I'm still at the point where a few times a day it'll pop into my head that we're in the Premier League and I'll start chuckling to myself.

• Upvote 9

@Naysonymous Looks like it:

1971/1972 Sat 29 Apr Crystal Palace 0 - 0 Huddersfield Town

1982/1983 Sat 07 May Brighton & Hove Albion 0 - 1 Manchester City (both relegated that season)

2015/2016 Sun 15 May Newcastle United 5 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur

• Upvote 1

Oh hang on, Brighton had another game the week after against Norwich.

1982/1983 Sat 14 May Norwich City 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion

The other two are correct though.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

If Opta's Twitter feed is to be believed then someone at the Premier League has an extremely nerdy sense of humour as Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle all have opening day fixtures against the the clubs they played in their final game in the top flight the last time they were there. 

I thought it was a computer? ;)

16 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I thought it was a computer? ;)

I'm pretty sure they use a computer these days, but there are a hell of a lot of parameters which need manual input and people doing it for a living probably have a bit of creative freedom too. There are things which seem to be directed which aren't mentioned in the article too, presumably for policing reasons but I noticed when Villa and Birmingham were in the Premier League that if Villa were playing Man Utd then Birmingham would be playing Man City (or the same with Liverpool and Everton) which I'd guess would be so it's easier for the respective police forces to work together and share resources on that day.  

Love new fixtures day, one of the few days in the football calendar full of unbridled optimism and shared enjoyment. Up there with the first day of the season, when a glorious summer sun shines on immaculate green pitches across the land, the excitement of FA Cup draws and the giddy day when Mourinho goes to Defcon 1.

Lovely stuff.

• Upvote 2

Sunderland have signed the Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes. Its a good move for Sunderland as McInnes has done really good things with Aberdeen, working with an absolute pittance he's used young players and made them into a great creative team. Im sure he'll be a welcome burst of fresh air for the fans.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Claude Puel sacked from Southampton after one season in charge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40051080

A Southampton statement read: "The search for a new management team is under way. We are confident that we will find the right fit in line with the long-term vision of the club."

Isn't that finding simply players cheap then selling them on?

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:13, Naysonymous said:

I'm pretty sure they use a computer these days, but there are a hell of a lot of parameters which need manual input and people doing it for a living probably have a bit of creative freedom too. There are things which seem to be directed which aren't mentioned in the article too, presumably for policing reasons but I noticed when Villa and Birmingham were in the Premier League that if Villa were playing Man Utd then Birmingham would be playing Man City (or the same with Liverpool and Everton) which I'd guess would be so it's easier for the respective police forces to work together and share resources on that day.  

Boxing Day and Bank Holiday weekend fixtures are probably input first too. Boxing Day in particular as these tend to see teams local to one another playing each other.

9 hours ago, Adrock said:

McInnes had decided to stay at Aberdeen, Sunderland must be horrendously run.

I'm rather pleased as our manager (Plymouth Argyle's Derek Adams) was rumoured to go to Aberdeen if McInnes left for Sunderland. With their parachute payments, Sunderland really should avoid looking for a high profile manager who will want to make marquee signings as it could go catastrophically wrong. They need someone ruthless who will ship out the dead wood and revitalise that club with young players who want to play. For a provincial club, they have a massive, loyal fan base so they should be OK in the Championship. They won't go the way of Wigan or Blackburn Rovers.

They'll end up with someone like Pardew no doubt as the club seem to be run very badly. David Moyes did an atrocious job didn't he.

Apparently McInnes turned down a £600k pay increase, too.

Sunderland are in big trouble.  Unmotivated, overpaid, overhyped players who are too injury prone for a 46 game season.  A chairman who hates the place and has been trying to sell for years. A reputation for having to overpay on salaries just to get people to go there, attracting plenty of sharks.  And in financial trouble despite the years of Premier League money.

Even the crowds are dropping - I believe they were doing the old counting season ticket trick for most of last year.  They could get 40-odd thousand in, the problem is that is pretty much their limit.  They don't have that much appeal outside Wearside.

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Apparently McInnes turned down a £600k pay increase, too.

Sunderland are in big trouble.  Unmotivated, overpaid, overhyped players who are too injury prone for a 46 game season.  A chairman who hates the place and has been trying to sell for years. A reputation for having to overpay on salaries just to get people to go there, attracting plenty of sharks.  And in financial trouble despite the years of Premier League money.

I jumped the gun obviously :blush:

Sunderland  must have serious problems if Aberdeen is preferable to them. 

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Even the crowds are dropping - I believe they were doing the old counting season ticket trick for most of last year.  They could get 40-odd thousand in, the problem is that is pretty much their limit.  They don't have that much appeal outside Wearside.

The best protest is to not go, if people go no matter what and keep funding these idiots, including the players, then no surprise if nothing changes.

It's going to be interesting to see whether it was the right choice by McInnes. Sunderland are in a mess, of that there is no doubt. 

At Aberdeen he is revered, but the side which has given him success is starting to break up. Speaking to an Aberdeen supporting mate, he was saying that while the core of the team is great, none of the additional signings McInnes has made had had the same impact. Could be an interesting rebuilding job.

Not suggesting he won't make a success of it, just feels like a crossroads for him and Aberdeen, and what comes next should be interesting either way. They either continue the success and start to challenge more like the Aberdeen teams I remember from the 90s and early 90s, or they struggle to recapture what they've had for the last few seasons.

You can tell it's the off season and news is slow, apparently Ronaldo is leaving Madrid and the decision is "irreversible" due to the lack of support over his tax issues, and Conte is going to be sacked for not agreeing with the higher ups with transfer market support. 

I saw on the BBC this morning that Celtic were about to sign a Dons player.  What is the point if Celtic can just hoover up all the players?

I was happy to see some pressure applied from Aberdeen and Hearts a few years ago.  I'd love to see a non-auld firm club win that league.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Butters said:

It's going to be interesting to see whether it was the right choice by McInnes. Sunderland are in a mess, of that there is no doubt. 

At Aberdeen he is revered, but the side which has given him success is starting to break up. Speaking to an Aberdeen supporting mate, he was saying that while the core of the team is great, none of the additional signings McInnes has made had had the same impact. Could be an interesting rebuilding job.

Not suggesting he won't make a success of it, just feels like a crossroads for him and Aberdeen, and what comes next should be interesting either way. They either continue the success and start to challenge more like the Aberdeen teams I remember from the 90s and early 90s, or they struggle to recapture what they've had for the last few seasons.

I think Ryan Christie whose part of the Hayes to Celtic deal (on loan just) is a good player but as usual Celtic and Rangers buy up anyone half decent.