Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

Well, he tells the chairmen who he wants. Sullivan usually ignores him though and picks the players, hence signings like Ayew who we didn't need but bought because Swansea agreed that Sullivan could pay for him on the hock for about twice the length of a standard mortgage. Any players that Bilic insists we buy Sullivan tries to take the credit for by saying they were his idea i.e. Lanzini and Payet.

We're just an absolute laughing stock.

21 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Just seen that footage too - terrible scenes (life ban for the supporter with the child).

I'm sure this will all rebound on Arsenal on Sunday though as Besieged Fortress Goodison sees Rooney score in the first 5 minutes and hold on for the win, cheered to the rafters by a raucous crowd. Or we will suffer (as we do once a season), New Manager Bounce.

Yeah, and Chelsea have them on Wednesday in the cup. I'm highly expecting to be Crystal Palaced in the face.

City 3-0 up over Burnley.  First kick the Clarets main threat off the pitch after 20 minutes, then scoring through a penalty, a set-piece header and a breakaway.  It's like Tony Pulis never died.

Yesterday I thought Lindelof gave the worst centre back performance I've seen in recent memory.

Step forward Dejan Lovren to somehow eclipse it. Some of these defenders would struggle in the Championship.

Shocking.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely cracking performance from Spurs, shame they didn’t take more chances and obv deserved a rest in the second half so dropped off - even better that it was at Wembley as Bourmouth gave far more of a challenge and I wasn’t confident coming into this even with being a much better team than Liverpool.

If I were a Liverpool fan I would be obviously concerned about having the worst defence in the league but also this was a Spurs team that just played Real Madrid, has no defensive midfielders and only one wingback who himself isn’t fully fit - never mind the defence Spurs just bullied Liverpool all over the pitch and totally dictated the play allowing them the ball but knowing they couldn’t do anything with it.

Outside a wonder save I though Coutinio was managed well and I’m struggling to think of anyone outside the ref who had a good game for Liverpool, Salah looks a good player but he was up against an out of position wingback and his goal shouldn’t have stood due to the foul on Kane (I know Liverpool fans are all about pointing out ref mistakes leading to goals)

I fully expect we will get our annual hiding at Anfield due to the scally curse but let me have this one ehh! #COYS

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The ball floated over Lovren’s head in an eerily familiar echo of what had passed before, a case of Dejan Vu

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/22/liverpool-tottenham-dejan-lovren-undefending

It almost feels mean (the poor guy, getting paid loads to be almost good enough at football!) but I did enjoy this dissection even though I sometimes tire of Barney Ronay's constant search for another simile.

2 hours ago, milko said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/22/liverpool-tottenham-dejan-lovren-undefending

It almost feels mean (the poor guy, getting paid loads to be almost good enough at football!) but I did enjoy this dissection even though I sometimes tire of Barney Ronay's constant search for another simile.

I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, he was awful but the whole team was with their midfield putting them under so much pressure the defence got exposed more than they should have been - they want a fall guy but it has to be Klopp not one defender, I would say statistically Liverpool were worse after Lovren went off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, he was awful but the whole team was with their midfield putting them under so much pressure the defence got exposed more than they should have been - they want a fall guy but it has to be Klopp not one defender, I would say statistically Liverpool were worse after Lovren went off.

Statistically? Really? Which statistics?

Lovren was at fault for the first two goals and both didn't have much to do with the midfield.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Lovren was at fault for the first two goals and both didn't have much to do with the midfield.

They were at fault with the first as they gave Ericksen so much time to pick the pass to Kane, which really is stupid.

Overall it's a very average midfield Liverpool have and also people tend to forgot how good Lovern was at Southampton, but then he was being coached by Pochettino who seems to have quite a golden touch when it comes to defenders 

1 minute ago, Adrock said:

Mingolet was equally at fault for the first as was the other useless defender playing Kane off side,  second goal was a mistake by Lovren aided by a midfield who let Son run past them and beat them to the ball.

Spurs scored twice after he went off, neither some amazing counter strike while Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us but set pieces that further exposed the defence and keeper - sure we score two while on top and with Lovren on but another two scored without him while we had barely any possession but easily contained your team doesn’t speak for an improved defensive performance after he went.

Blame Lovren all you want but the fault lies with Klopp from the personnel on the pitch to the formation and the woeful defending all round but specifically set pieces.

The first goal was from a thrown in which Kyle Walker knocked over the top for Kane eventually.

I'm not for one second disputing Liverpool's midfield needs some serious work but to suggest Liverpool were worse after Lovren went off is delirious.

As for Lovren at Southampton and now. I think it's more to do with a few factors, leadership, goalkeeper and midfield are the main ones.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Adrock said:

The first goal was from a thrown in which Kyle Walker knocked over the top for Kane eventually.

I'm not for one second disputing Liverpool's midfield needs some serious work but to suggest Liverpool were worse after Lovren went off is delirious.

As for Lovren at Southampton and now. I think it's more to do with a few factors, leadership, goalkeeper and midfield are the main ones.

Odd cameo from a Man City player ;)

Trippier knocks a ball over Lovren, useless defender number 3 plays Kane on side and Mingolet made a hash of it  (had Kane gone down Mignolet was sent off btw) but look at the picture and if you think Lovren was solely to blame for the goal then the delusion is from Klopp down to supporters.

File%2023-10-2017,%2016%2049%2045.jpeg?d

The second goal is even worse in pictures, sure Lovren misses the ball but look at the starting positions...

File%2023-10-2017,%2016%2049%2002.jpeg?d

A Sunday league team knows you have to push Kane wide while the other defenders track back - that was a Liverpool corner with a throw from Lloris throwing it and one pass!

Lovren should never have been in a one on one position with Kane, Kane is better in the air and with the ball so any decent defence would never have left him so exposed.

Six players against two from a Spurs corner, of course Lovren is to blame :lol:

Spurs wouldn’t let any of our defender be in the position that Lovren failed in, even if said player made the mistake the cover would be there mainly from midfield but certinally from other defenders - it was a team wide guide in how not to defend with and without Lovren.

The first, he played offside from a throw in or shortly after. Which is just stupid. So he is the one to blame the most.

Second goal, from the corner, the team were recovering from the set piece. To suggest the starting positions were wrong is a complete lack of understanding. The game hadn't stopped, Milner was trying to recover but Son is much faster so could never win the race.

Kane started quite wide from the picture you have uploaded. In that instance anything but missing the ball completely slows down the play and allows Liverpool more time to get set up. With that understanding Lovren has a couple of choices but charging in front of Kane to nick it off him isn't one of them.

Once Lovren has beaten himself Kane has a free run and an on rushing Son who is faster than anyone in the Liverpool midfield or defence.

I have not, at all, suggested the team were all perfect apart from one player.

Edit : who were the 6 against 2? Also, I'm still waiting on those statistics. You know, the ones showing Liverpool were worse after Lovren went off.