Nick R

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

13 hours ago, K said:

I’m staggered that they did the HALO jump for real, it looks like a standard green screen / CGI sequence, especially the way it’s all done in one unbroken shot in the standard blockbuster stylee. It was an exciting set piece, but they could have saved millions of dollars and months of work if they’d just done it in the studio, not much of that effort is visible on the screen.

Madness.

Looked amazing and not airless like most cgi.

• Upvote 2

Action movie YouTube channel Rossatron has done an interview with the editor of M:I Rogue Nation and Fallout. It's mostly about the former (especially the opera sequence and bike chase), but there's also some discussion of other films he's edited (Kingsman, Kick-Ass).

Just a shame that in a video about editing, Ross's own questions sound like they were re-recorded after the original Skype interview to sound more polished, in a way that sticks out like a sore thumb!

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2018 at 19:22, kerraig UK said:

Basically yes. We're in a situation now where personal reaction trumps overall objective quality. This isn't a very good film. On any level. But some people enjoyed it, and for better or worse we have to acknowledge and allow that. Even though it destroys art.

You realise you’re in the monitory of people who didn’t think MI:F was great, don’t you? “some people enjoyed it”? “allow that”?   Take another look at that post, kerraig. 

I’ve just finished making my way through the 6 hours of those Empire podcasts. They’re really interesting, but highlight a few key things for me.

McQuarrie has an ego the size of a small moon. 

Tom Cruise is absolutely awesome and I think I love him. 

Anytime he or anybody says “that’s not Mission”, they sound like a massive dick. 

They made huge chunks of this up as they went along, but seem to have so much time and love for the series that they’ll do anything necessary to make it work. 

It’s a great film. One of the best ive seen this year, easily. And Luther’s scene with Ethan’s (ex)wife towards the end is brilliant. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, catinthehat said:

You realise you’re in the monitory of people who didn’t think MI:F was great, don’t you? “some people enjoyed it”? “allow that”?   Take another look at that post, kerraig. 

I’ve just finished making my way through the 6 hours of those Empire podcasts. They’re really interesting, but highlight a few key things for me.

McQuarrie has an ego the size of a small moon. 

Tom Cruise is absolutely awesome and I think I love him. 

Anytime he or anybody says “that’s not Mission”, they sound like a massive dick. 

They made huge chunks of this up as they went along, but seem to have so much time and love for the series that they’ll do anything necessary to make it work. 

It’s a great film. One of the best ive seen this year, easily. And Luther’s scene with Ethan’s (ex)wife towards the end is brilliant. 

Yeah I'm a bit of a nazi about film quality.

The question is this, does lots of people liking something make it good? Lots of people like Brexit. Lots of people like Nickelback.

If someone liking a piece of art attests to its quality then art cannot be objectively criticised. Everything is subjective in that arena. I 100% agree that MI:F is subjectively a good film.

In my world, where art can be criticised objectively, MI:F is not a good film. It does none of the things it is supposed to do well except for a couple of action sequences. It fails much more than it succeeds. Objectively.

Problem is, cinema goers are all just a bunch of Nickelback fans these days.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s been far more popular with the critics than the great unwashed you’re so quick to throw under the bus though.

They're wrong too. Everyone is in the pot boiling together.

I’ll add that I don’t get it either - it’s spotlessly crafted but I think I’ll forget the plot by the time the next one comes out - but you’re up a gum tree if you really think this is just some uninformed rabble’s perspective.

I think the aforementioned craftmanship sates a desire for basic well constructed film making in an age when editing and screenwriting are dying at the multiplex, especially for critics.

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Y tho

I'm glad you asked. Im actually thinking of doing one of those YouTube videos about it.

I'm at work now, but would like to get into this later 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

If someone liking a piece of art attests to its quality then art cannot be objectively criticised. Everything is subjective in that arena.

[...]

In my world, where art can be criticised objectively, 

Ah, you're opening a can of worms there... :D

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Ah, you're opening a can of worms there... :D

What I mean by that, is that the qualitative execution can be objectively judged regardless of personal reaction.

So whether MI:F is any good or not is completely unaffected by how much I enjoyed it.

There are absolutely masterful films that I really don't like (Tokyo story for example) just like there's garbage that I absolutely love (summer school)