rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks for this. I actually managed to get him down on my second go using my lightning longsword! I didn't realise that you could assign shortcuts to crafting, however, so that's useful.

I'm currently farming Deviljho so I can make his gnarly looking longsword. 

nice! 
Lots of the Jho weapons are brilliant (Switch Axe, Sword and Shield, Gunlance, Lance, Hunting Horn (Deep vero is the best), Dual Blades, Longsword, HBG - totally game breaking cluster bombing especially combined with the tip I gave you about crafting from the item wheel for more ammo) so farm him up a bit and make those for sure, I've literally never used the armor though so skip that.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

Plat getting closer!
SwOanav.png

Mental. How many hours?

I finished the main story and unlocked high rank, so is it basically infinite?

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

Mental. How many hours?

I finished the main story and unlocked high rank, so is it basically infinite?

Seeing off Zorah Magrodos is basically the midpoint of the main story. After that there's the high rank section, which has its own final boss, then you actually get the end game credits. Beyond that is the near-infinite endgame where you can farm decorations and augmentations to min/max your build, and fight tempered (i.e. extra hard) versions of monsters. The endgame and gem farming seems to rely a lot on RNG, however, so I don't think I'll bother with it. It's evidently quite easy to spend hundreds of hours on it in the quest for the perfect build, however.

I'm just short of 700Hrs...
There's quite a lot more after accessing HR to the story.
As @Jamie John says, there's lots to do afterwards, trying new builds, collecting gear and decorations, harder versions of monsters, special events, collecting layered and gamma sets, I just really like time in the game so find something new to do all the time, like now trying to get the platinum (just Giant Nergi and Kirin to get then a load of arena).

Shit, the new longsword moveset looks reeeeal smooth

In the space of a week the DLC has gone from barely even on my radar to my most anticipated thing

• Upvote 1

Well done @mechamonkey, you've got a lot more patience than me. I've only got one more elder to go before the final boss but I think I'm going to leave it there. The endgame is definitely a bit of a grind and dealing with the RNG isn't particularly my idea of fun. I've managed to get a few fully upgraded longswords and thought briefly about going for the full Nerigante set until I realised I needed 21 more carapaces, as well as his gem, which would probably necessitate fighting him another 10 times at least, especially considering he can't be captured for extra rewards, and I don't think I can be arsed. It's a shame I was enjoying the game hugely up until this point but I feel like I want to move on and play something else now.

How do you unlock some of the other optional monsters? Kirin, Behemoth and that goat one?

15 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Well done @mechamonkey, you've got a lot more patience than me. I've only got one more elder to go before the final boss but I think I'm going to leave it there. The endgame is definitely a bit of a grind and dealing with the RNG isn't particularly my idea of fun. I've managed to get a few fully upgraded longswords and thought briefly about going for the full Nerigante set until I realised I needed 21 more carapaces, as well as his gem, which would probably necessitate fighting him another 10 times at least, especially considering he can't be captured for extra rewards, and I don't think I can be arsed. It's a shame I was enjoying the game hugely up until this point but I feel like I want to move on and play something else now.

How do you unlock some of the other optional monsters? Kirin, Behemoth and that goat one?

Cheers
Kirin comes as the campaign progresses, there's also at least one other you havent seen.
The others like Ancient Leshen, Kulve Taroth and Behemoth are from events that roll round every few weeks, you'll really need to play online for those (although Leshen has an Excellent Witcher 3 solo event quest, it's brilliant, as well as the tough as nails multiplayer battle), there are also Arch-Tempered version of Elder dragons which reward you with tickets to make the Gamma versions of thier armor and generally a layered armor set (e.g the Ancient Leshen drops mutagen to make Geralt and Ciri sets).
There are loads of special events like the Devil May Cry , Dante stuff and Megaman palico etc
You can see the schedule here http://game.capcom.com/world/uk/schedule.html

• Upvote 1

I seem to have played about 40 hours in 10 days. I'm not even sure how that's physically possible but it's true to say I now love this game. The absolute minimum of bullshit (loading times aside) between hunt after hunt. Just the right amount of exposition and story to add the necessary gravity to what you're doing. That is to say, very little.

• Upvote 2

I'm loving seeing @Timmo's posts on this, it's exactly how it got it's claws into me, bit by bit, layer upon layer revealed, always something to try and do, brilliant.
I am ludicrously excited about Iceborne, hopefully you'll be up for some hunts :)

• Upvote 2

Seems there are now a coupe more of you who'll be telling the next idiot who moans about MH to "Just play more, dude, it will grab you when you learn to play it properly!"

See? We told you that for a reason. 

• Upvote 1

Credits rolled! Such a good game, I guess the real Monster Hunter starts here, right?

Despite 60 hours I still feel like a total beginner, really. Although I only died a handful of times once I started upgrading armour, I'm guessing tempered monsters will be a lot less forgiving and I'll need to get better at avoiding damage.

I'm still not totally taken with the combat. I think I'm going to hammer the arena quests to try and get better at it.

• Upvote 4

Unlocked the Divine Slasher last night. Needed five Ace Hunter coins and a couple of gems. Fortunately the online is still alive so I was able to team up and it made the grind actually pretty fun!

Each time I play I seem to click a little more. The foresight slash is so great to pull off. I've been watching elite players for inspiration and high level longsword is like some kind of beautiful dance. Being able to play like this must be stupidly satisfying.

• Upvote 6

On 07/06/2019 at 20:33, Timmo said:

Credits rolled! Such a good game, I guess the real Monster Hunter starts here, right?

Despite 60 hours I still feel like a total beginner, really. Although I only died a handful of times once I started upgrading armour, I'm guessing tempered monsters will be a lot less forgiving and I'll need to get better at avoiding damage.

I'm still not totally taken with the combat. I think I'm going to hammer the arena quests to try and get better at it.

Is that 60 hours and you're now in HR? (i.e. you've just seen off ZM?)

Nah, the credits roll after the

Spoiler

elder dragons

I've played quite a bit since and just unlocked the double betelgeuse mission.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the biggest indicator of how much I've gotten into this game is that I've been seriously considering spending £8 on some entirely cosmetic Samurai armour.

• Upvote 2

Wonder if there will be any extra monsters in the beta, like how you could go off and kill Rathalos in the original beta version.

Looking forward to Tigrex, one of my faves!