Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

• 1 month later...

I bought this in the Christmas sale and started it a few days ago.

I wasn’t quite prepared for how much of a change it is.

For the most part I would say the gameplay is decent. Definitely nothing special about it.

Some things are problematic. I can’t see shit half the time, I’d kill for a torch in this game.

The sound is generally really bad from a mix point of view. It doesn’t seem to matter how loud I have my TV, there’s really no spacial awareness in terms of sound.

I’ve had a few reloads after dying where a split second later I’m getting jacked up by gunfire and explosions which is something I;ve not seen game do for many many years.

The cut scenes though. Very entertaining. Love the characters and the story is utterly batshit.

I get the feeling the people who made the cut scenes and wrote the dialogue and characters will one day end up working for Rockstar, the rest of the game doesn’t live up to the whackyness but it’s certainly passable.

The level design is borderline bad though I think...

I do find it weird how many people bounced off this, because it's basically identical to the first game. Crazy difficultly spikes, bullet sponge enemies, settings that sound interesting on paper but almost always boil down to identical grey corridors and warehouses. London in the original was really bad for this.

If anything I think The Old Blood had the best balance overall, and even that has a few insanely difficult sections, like when you escape the torture chair. Machine Games seem to be addicted to sections where you start with no weapons/ammo but are surrounded by enemies, the court room in New Colossus was exactly the same.

Yeah, I normally hate stealth in games but TNO and TOB both were designed around taking it seriously and rewarding its use. TNC for some reason decides that charging in guns blazing must always be an option (probably something to do with Doom 2016 selling a billion copies), and the whole illusion of stealth mattering or you facing off against AI that poses any kind of threat evaporates.

• 8 months later...

The first game had unfortunate checkpoints during combat sessions which could leave you stuck in a very dangerous situation on low health and ammo. Amateur design, but surely they'll learn from it.

Nope, the sequel has the exact same shit. Firstly, on the train. I ran forwards to safety (the closest door/hallway) only to pass a threshold which saved a checkpoint and spawns enemies in front of me which left me with one enemy behind me, several in front of me, 0 armour and like 20 health. It took me 20 tries to get past this. And now in the courthouse. Again, on low ammo (11 for the shotgun, that's all. You start that section stripped from your possessions so you have to grab what you can once you gain control) and 60 health. 2 regular enemies, 2 big metal bois. As soon and the checkpoint loads a grenade is thrown towards my position which means I have to leave. There's resources all over the place but impossible to get to without getting hit. If I can survive this part the doors the hallways open and soldiers, dogs and those blazing fast cyborgs enter. Bullets hit me from afar, the dog pins me down and the cyborg closes any distance fast and punches me square in the face.

Every time I die (30+ times so far) it puts me back right to where I had 11 shotgun shells, barely any health and no option but to get out of cover and run to not get hurt by the grenade explosion. What a load of amateur hour nonsense.

This game was such a disappointment - one of the few times when I've looked at a game with overwhelmingly positive reviews and wondered what on earth the reviewers saw in it, because it was such a massive chore to play. The story was fun, I'll give it that, but despite most levels at least sounding like they'd be set somewhere interesting like Roswell or New Orleans or the irradiated ruins of New York, they all seemed to be set in the same concrete bunkers and tunnels (or in the case of NY, the most generic grey FPS environment imaginable). The only really interesting location was

Spoiler

Venus, which used an intense and disturbingly believable Nazi space futurism aesthetic to create a level that was like a literal and metaphorical vision of hell

, but jesus, the rest of it was dull. 

Even the combat sandbox was boring - it was next to impossible to remain in stealth, and most encounters just felt like spamming whichever gun you wanted to level up, with seemingly random deaths. They don't even deliver on the America-under-Nazi-rule stuff - I was looking forward to clipping a few KKK meatheads, but most of the levels could have been set anywhere. What a waste.

It was a massive disappointment, for sure. It still had moments of greatness, but most of the levels were just pure shit, and visually it was really dull.

As shitty as the old mega-textures thing could look with the version of idtech TNO used, it still managed to be fun to look at.

In all seriousness, I loved it. Better than the original and Doom Eternal, and really strikes a balance between dark narrative and black humour. I did find some segments frustrating (the battle in the courthouse in particular was an exercise in anger management) but other than that it was great. The two halves of the game do a great job in having you feel knackered and vulnerable in the first and like an anti Nazi Ubermensch in the second, and the baddies are brilliantly hateable. I haven't played Youngblood yet but I will be soon, and I can't wait for 3, which I assume is gonna be called Wolfenstein III: The New Blood ;)

19 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

In all seriousness, I loved it. Better than the original and Doom Eternal, and really strikes a balance between dark narrative and black humour. I did find some segments frustrating (the battle in the courthouse in particular was an exercise in anger management) but other than that it was great. The two halves of the game do a great job in having you feel knackered and vulnerable in the first and like an anti Nazi Ubermensch in the second, and the baddies are brilliantly hateable. I haven't played Youngblood yet but I will be soon, and I can't wait for 3, which I assume is gonna be called Wolfenstein III: The New Blood ;)

Don't play Youndblood...honestly it's an appalling game and one of my big disappointments of last year. The story is fine and dandy and it looks great but the gameplay is significantly changed and makes things very awkward to enjoy.

I'm really not sure about this game. I bought it the other week and have been slowly working my way through it. I love Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and I enjoyed the one released in around 2010(?). I never quite got on with the first of the new Wolfenstein games, I went back to it recently and still never quite enjoyed it. 

I don't know what it is about this game. It's incredibly dark in places (the opening really caught me off guard) and this time around that doesn't seem to sit quite right with the humour. I also found the BJ's voiceover to be over ernest. I find the back and forth around the sub to be incredibly boring and really breaks the game up - I was never a fan of that in the first game - go here, get welder, go here talk to person. It does look great and moves at a really fast pace during gunplay. There's some variety in the levels, but as mentioned above, they all tend to become dank corridors. I would have loved to have gone fighting through the town in Roswell - instead the game throws us into yet another tunnel and corridor system.

Again, as mentioned, the gun selection is weird and I found myself pretty much upgrading one weapon and sticking with it for 90% of the time because little else seemed effective. I'd heard about the difficulty but after the first hour I dropped it down to the easiest because I just don't have the time or patience to go through the same sections over and over. I managed to get stuck in the courthouse thanks to the game autosaving with me at 10% health. 

The villains are great though, and I will never tire of shooting nazis. 

For me - 

Spoiler

It really went off the rails with the death of Spesh, followed by the beheading/resurrection. 

Frustrating/10.