Goose

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Managed to play for about an hour more and haven't had any more issues, thankfully. It could look a bit nicer and currently it's not maxing out my GPU but I can't be bothered to tinker with it.

Feels great with KBM, though. The podcast narrative seems to be "turn it down to the easiest difficulty" but on normal I'm not finding it to be much of a challenge, anyway. Though on PC you can easily despatch people with a headshot - when I played Old Blood on consoles getting a headshot was like trying to thread a needle. Not fun.

115 minutes of play and I've had to refund this. Just keeps crashing.

So irritating. I was really enjoying it.

It already takes a fair bit to make me want to play games on my PC - I can't see this experience helping.

I verified the game cache and what not and that seems to have helped. I think I'm just going to force my way through it with copious amounts of F5ing.

That bit at the end of New York was bloody tricky on normal difficulty. The fact that it's so easy to miss health and armour (and the fact that 50 is max health) can be quite annoying.

I tried quite a bit. Have since reinstalled windows 10 and went from the non-WHQL drivers to the WHQL ones and everything seems hunky-dory.

I'm really enjoying it. 5 hours in and I reckon I'm about half way through.

• Upvote 1

Finished this last night. Quite enjoyed it but not as much as the first one.

The ending was a bit sudden too. 

Still, I paid £21 for it and traded it earlier for £20 so not all bad.

3 hours ago, Stevie said:

I got an issue, I cant not dual wield. I want to use the SMG only but I'm unable to...with a controller that is.

Select the 'hand' icon in the left weapon wheel to unequip the gun from it.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently in New Orleans.

Pretty big spoilers from Post-Mequite, pre-new orleans:

Spoiler

I love the tonal shift from BJ constantly laying it on thick with "bah your grace Carolaine." "Lend me your wings, Ahm a-dyin'" nonsense to "Woo, new body, let's kill me some Nazis!" :lol:

Enjoying the game, too. In places you do definitely die too quickly but I enjoy playing it stealthily.

Finished this the other night. I kind of agree that they dropped the ball with the gun play - I died so many times and didn't know what killed me. I eventually dropped the difficulty down to the second easiest, and still died loads. Enemies are thick as shit as well. On a lot of big encounters, I just found a doorway and they followed me to it and walked into a hail of bullets.

I don't really care though, I had so much fun doing it. The characters in this are so memorable. Someone mentioned similar earlier but I don't remember playing a game where I looked forward to cutscenes.

Some standout bits:

Spoiler

The audition scene. So funny. Wish i'd given Hitler a few slaps.

The drunken party on the submarine.

Some of the incidental conversations - two Nazis in the train depot talking about how violent anti fascists are, and how they are unable to make reasonable arguments. Then the conversation turns to their next posting and they hope they'll be on the same death squad.

Max Hass's outsider art, and the professor's discovery of it. Actually loads of the conversations on the sub were brilliant.

The whole scene with his dad, both flashbacks and the end. What a cunt!

Can't wait for the third part now.

Seeing a lot of recycled content there...

I've been thinking of this game since I finished it, trying to figure out what's off with it. I remember once playing FEAR on the 360 with the slow mo disabled (for an achievement of course). That game is really, really fast, and really , really hard without slow-mo. Wolfenstein II feels like that kind of game.Very jittery, high damage enemies, with you feeling like paper, but of course, no slow-mo to even the odds.

I think that mental story aside, it's just a bland game.  I'm struggling to muster up any enthusiasm to finish it in the face of all the awesome games around at the moment.

Spoiler

He said, while downloading SWBF2...

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Seeing a lot of recycled content there...

Yeah, I'm only interested if the story is decent and it looks like gameplay scenarios possibly strung together with comic book style cutscenes.

I think I'm about to do the last mission in the game. Took a bit of a break half way through New Orleans and then did that and the next bit all in one go.

I'm really enjoying it, but don't really want to play another one of these with the same gameplay loops. I find myself trying to cheese most of the levels by doing stuff like snipe the commanders from the other side of the map with a power laser or standing on top of a building with a power weapon killing everything in sight so I don't have to engage in the gameplay as intended.

They should really look closer at what iD have done with Doom in terms of gameplay.

On 12/12/2017 at 23:43, Don Rosco said:

Some standout bits:

Hide contents

Max Hass's outsider art, and the professor's discovery of it. Actually loads of the conversations on the sub were brilliant.

This scene is SO well done.

I liked BJ's line in one of the briefings about "computing...machines", poking fun at the absurdity of a guy who's been pretty much isolated from the world since 1946 not batting an eyelid at all the ridiculous space age tech the series throws around.

46 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They should really look closer at what iD have done with Doom in terms of gameplay.

I talked about it upthread, but I think trying to react to how Doom changed player expectations hurts Wolf2 a bit. It seems very, very hard if not impossible to make a game that can balance proper stealth and Doom-like mayhem as viable options. Also the changes between id Tech 5 and 6 (dynamic lighting and speed at the expense of environment detail) play to Doom's strengths but result in some of Wolf2's levels feeling pretty small and/or repetitive and featureless. I'm confident that for 3 they'll find a better balance (on all these issues) though.

On 18/11/2017 at 22:54, Down by Law said:

Enemies seem to soak up a ludicrous amount of damage sometimes then the next one dies with a short volley. It's wildly inconsistent with the damage you seem to receive, and deal out, making it a really strange game to play. 

This has been the problem since Rage. Enemies in id games (doom aside) are absolute bullet sponges. 

When I played the first I'd run out of ammo all the time. 

It's like the game creators give you all these guns going 'cause carnage'  but you can't because each enemy needs like 40 rounds to kill off. 

There's a vid somewhere of someone nailing about 6 headshots and the guy not dying. Make up your mind id; tactical shooter or run and gun.  

Just finished this. Final play time just short of 10 hours.

I enjoyed it but I think the first game was far better. Combat felt fresher, and where as I had no expectations of the story in the first game, it set the bar high for the follow up.

Spoiler

As funny as the story was in places, apart from Caroline dying early on (and before you're even given time to care about the character again), they don't take any risks with any of the characters.

You've got a heavily pregnant Anya running around on missions and there's never any real threat to her or anyone else. Max Hass was used beautifully in the first game and there's nothing approaching his relationship with Klaus in the first game. That was incredibly dark in places and you really cared about the characters. In this, it's more of a buddy film. Even the head transplant nonsense is heavily telegraphed by Set.

Similarly, I found each of those bits in the first game, where you're basically sat stock still while the Nazis leer at you, terrifying. The one with Engel on the train is brilliant. Nothing approaches that in this.

I didn't particularly mind the ending. I don't care about a painfully drawn out boss fight with Engel. This felt better but she basically dies before she knows what's hit her and I kind of would have preferred her to know it was coming (which she should have, really, given the Venus Oberkommando has been torn up well before you assault her ship).

Dammit, when I last looked this was £22.99 on the PS Store, but is now back up to £49.99. Guessing I missed a 12 days off Christmas sale without realising. Was looking forward to blasting Nazis on days off next week. Will console myself with an extra mince pie. And then another.

On 21/12/2017 at 11:41, glb said:

...when I last looked this was £22.99 on the PS Store, but is now back up to £49.99...

It'll probably drop to that price again at various retailers once the Boxing Day/January sales begin.

Actually Smyths has it for £19:99 right now -

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-games/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-ps4/p/161376?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7OqMxoSf2AIVjgrTCh1YCQYnEAkYASABEgKaE_D_BwE

Aaaaaannnnnnd, done. Wringed 32 hours out of this, collecting collectibles mainly (and re-doing districts to get enigma codes). Got 98% completion, just missing maxing a few perks but don’t think I’ll go back for them. Or the higher difficulties, just not good enough to avoid complete obliteration.

Overall enjoyed the game, without ever really loving it. The story is bananas in places but a lot of the levels were a bit underwhelming, lacking the wow to complement the story’s rollercoaster ride. Would have loved more of the Nazi Americana of Downtown Roswell, and less of the bland bunkers / wrecked streets that only vaguely resembled US locales. Did :lol: at one readable I picked up from a Nazi officer bemoaning the stupidity of the KKK. The hidden Commander level is a nice change of direction too, thanks to the simple change of lighting. Would happily take a touch less crazy and more invention or variety in the gameplay and areas* if there is to be a third part.

All said though, got my money’s worth from £24, which is nice.

Venus is great, really liked those sections, especially the base’s interiors; thought the retro-future look was nicely done

• Upvote 2