rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's not like the silver sword won't work against humans and non-humans though. Is it? 

Who breaks out the good cutlery for random plebs?

This was a pleasant bit of fluff! Cavill was brilliant and I enjoyed all the major plot strands (and loved Dandelion, albeit was distressed that they decided to break from the book and game translation tradition of calling him, well, Dandelion). It was hardly the deepest thing in the world, but then it wasn't trying to be, and the characters were enjoyable enough to carry it alone.

I don't quite get why so many people seem to have struggled to follow what was going on - while the chronology was (presumably intentionally) left a bit muddy for the first couple of episodes, past that point everything seemed pretty clear to me and the three people I watched it with, with the exception of my mother, but then she struggles to follow the average episode of Midsomer Murders. I had the advantage of having played the games, but I was alone in that, so that doesn't seem to be a prerequisite at least. Perhaps it was just that we decided to watch it while not under the influence of Christmas drinks...

On 23/12/2019 at 22:23, iknowgungfu said:

Are the books any good? I've read a fair amount of fantasy and most are fairly average or follow the same tropes. 

In fairness, that's kind of how 'average' works...

A few fantasy series have been bandied about upthread, with people asking for opinions/recommendations, and while the one series mentioned which I (ironically) can't comment on is The Witcher, having not read it, as far as the others mentioned go:

First Law series. Grimdark stuff with a capital 'GRR'. Enjoys wallowing in its grimness rather than actually being depressing, and is all the more enjoyable for it. Enjoyable misery-fun, and if anything the standalone books in its setting are even better. 8/10

Wheel of Time. The pitch for this presumably goes something along the lines of: "What if we start with a Lord of the Rings-style adventure, only with a lot more petulance, and then it gets a Bit More Serious, and also there are sexy witches, oh and it never fucking ends". Do not recommend. 3/10

Malazan: Book of the Fallen. The pitch for this is quite literally 'what if we made our homebrew RPG setting into some books?', and it feels it. Some good books, some less good, but over time and exposure you begin to realise the characters don't really have much to them, and the fact that the series feels more like an excuse for stories than an actual interesting world to explore/story to tell in the first place begins to grate. Still, some fun stuff in there. 5/10

Mistborn. This got mentioned in passing. It's decent! Not much to it, and very much YA-first, fantasy-second, but very enjoyable nonetheless. 6/10 Relatedly, the same author's The Stormlight Archive has similar qualities, only in its attempt to drop the YA aspect gains breadth but no depth and swaps tight pacing for a bazillion parallel narratives proceeding at glacial pace. I actually quite like it because I have weirdly high tolerance for that kind of storytelling, but I wouldn't generally recommend it. 5/10

Somebody mentioned Mark Lawrence. Mark Lawrence can be summed up as 'what if Joe Abercrombie, but obsessed with the Hero's Journey'. High body-counts with predictable narratives. Perfectly serviceable stuff. 5/10

Outside of the series already mentioned, though, you know is a fucking brilliant (sci-)fantasy series? The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Tight, tense, angry. Great stuff. Do recommend. 9/10

Well, episode 4 was excellent. The one after as well. I’m still irritated that Geralt did nothing much for the first few episodes but it’s all coming together more now.

• Downvote 1

Silver is a very soft metal. A sword made of it would get properly fucked up if you fought someone in armour with a steel sword. Maybe that's why he doesn't use it on humans? 

Mark me down as another person who had no trouble with the different timelines.

This was a good series, and seems to be doing well for Netflix, but based on how much they like to cancel things, I'd be surprised if it gets more than three seasons.

Definitely recommend Robin Hobb and Joe Abercrombie. Wheel of Time I thought was good for five books, but wouldn't recommend the series as a whole. Stormlight Archive is good, but I think the books should be about half the length they actually are.

• Upvote 3

I don’t know The Witcher particularly well, I played 3 for a couple of hours, got bored, turned it off and never went back to it. I found the first episode very uninteresting. Nothing terribly exciting happened. I’ll give it a few more episodes, hopefully it will improve.

Unfortunately, for The Witcher, I have just started watching The Deuce and that is phenomenal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really enjoyed most of this. I didn't enjoy some of the filler as much as the main story but I thought that was top notch entertainment. I've tried to go back to Witcher 3 so we'll see how that goes. I've never managed more than a couple of hours of the games before getting bored.

I'm definitely craving more of the TV series and what to see where things go next.

Last two episodes were great, excellent overall except for a few bits that slowed down too much for my taste.

I’m also tempted to try the game again, but I only tried a few months ago and I think most of my problems (the world is pretty repetitive, as is the gear you find) won’t really be affected by knowing more about the world. 

If I didnt have too many other games to play, I'd be diving right back into playing The Witcher 1 on PC right now.

I hear this has re-ignited (thanks to the Switch version as well) interest in the games again. CDPR must be raking it in.

24 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

If I didnt have too many other games to play, I'd be diving right back into playing The Witcher 1 on PC right now.

I hear this has re-ignited (thanks to the Switch version as well) interest in the games again. CDPR must be raking it in.

Yeah, there are loads more people streaming all three games on twitch at the moment. 

Just finished the last episode.  I think it's a very good series with only a few drawbacks.  The monster CGI is atrocious, I really hope they improve that for series 2.  It's not actually went too deep into why stuff is happening yet and I think given an entire season is done they could have fleshed out the enemy motivations a bit more.  I'm looking forwards to season 2.

18 hours ago, tenrou said:

Just finished the last episode.  I think it's a very good series with only a few drawbacks.  The monster CGI is atrocious, I really hope they improve that for series 2.  It's not actually went too deep into why stuff is happening yet and I think given an entire season is done they could have fleshed out the enemy motivations a bit more.  I'm looking forwards to season 2.

I hope they don’t give them too much money for CGI. I like that the monsters are rarer in the books and show, it keeps them interesting. One of the things I thought was boring about the game was just how many monsters there are to chop through, removing all the threat of them.

4 episodes in and I have found Geralts timeline quite disjoiting but it's probably because theres so many names to remember, plus places he goes and groups he meets etc. It's a little hard to keep up with but not impossible. All the other stories are much easier to follow.

Still, I'm enjoying it because I love a bit of this type of fantasy.

Watched this through three times now. Some episodes I could put on just like I'm putting on film I like. It's a great TV show. :)

• Upvote 3

On 26/12/2019 at 11:36, Joystick Chevron said:

Got a couple of eps left but really enjoying it so far. Geralt and Jaskier are a joy to watch together and I love how so far it’s all been like a bunch of old school fairy tales. Not read the books and only briefly played the first game years ago and all I remember about it was that there were redheads everywhere so it’s a bit weird there are none at all in this but maybe that was just a game thing, dunno.

What I can say is that Geralt’s “..fuck” at the end of the wedding episode is possibly the greatest delivered since that bald guy in Alien 3 some 30 years ago. Henry is clearly living his best life, the lucky sod.

They've make one of the main redheads from the game a brunette in this, for some weird reason (Triss).

On 27/12/2019 at 22:00, HarryBizzle said:

Triss seems like a bit of a misstep, though. It’s not her fault that she reminds me of Maya Rudolph every time I see her but she’s introduced wearing what looks like the dreamcoat from a primary school play and is totally wooden. Triss is meant to be the more playful and less aloof of the two sorceresses. 

I agree, Triss is totally miscast, unfortunately. She looks nothing like the character from the books or game, which would be fine if she could act, but she's wooden as fuck.

So Episode 6 and the mountain walk.

Spoiler

Why didn't Yen just portal them to the top rather than risking that path on the planks?

Seems to be a handy get out of trouble mechanism when it suits.

First episode was very uneven and suffered from extremely clumsy and intelligence insulting dialogue, but after that it somehow completely recovers and from the second episode onwards it's rip roaring fun that dances around the last season of Game of Thrones whilst sticking its tongue out.

Just watched the entire series in 3 days. Adored it, I can't think of the last time I saw such an involving and well crafted fantasy world.

Installing The Witcher III (Which I've never played) on my PC now. :wub:

• Upvote 1

I've just finished my 2nd viewing and yep, I love it.

I really can't wait to see what they do with series 2, now that the crucial backstory is out of the way they can crack on with the saga. I'm particularly excited about some of the new character introductions.

The only parts I found slightly disappointing were in Brokilon.

If anyone is interested in the books, I recommend the audio versions, I listened to them in the build up to the series (having previously read them) and they're brilliantly narrated.

Suppose I better go play Witcher 2 and 3 for the 4th time :D

• Upvote 1

So are the books really worth a punt then? I did look at the Kindle versions and was shocked to see the price (£8!) For the first book, I'm guessing Amazon have inflated prices because of the series, the bastards.

Also, loving the series, I don't want it to end it's that good!

8 hours ago, Thor said:

This won't be to everyone's taste, but it's very much to mine. 

:lol: It's fucking great! 

I watched something similar last night.

Love it.

• Upvote 3