Clipper

Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Storm King's Thunder

I should also at this point thank you all for making SKT such fun to run :D And thank you all for being patient with my mishmash of homebrew, real lore and evolving lore etc. The campaign is quite a "loose" one and you "went with it" brilliantly.

If you have any questions about the twists and turns or anything about how it ran etc then ask away. I obviously can't answer anything that might still have an influence in the campaign though :)

Other than t hat we are off to the new thread (which I am going to spruce up and title properly).

• Upvote 2

I have no idea what was homebrew and what wasn’t, I’d be curious to know. That in itself speaks to how well you ran it. 

I dont think it was it was rushed but it would be good to do the RPing the background/interview so we can find out about each other. 

32 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

I have no idea what was homebrew and what wasn’t, I’d be curious to know. That in itself speaks to how well you ran it. 

I dont think it was it was rushed but it would be good to do the RPing the background/interview so we can find out about each other. 

I have plans for the latter but not yet finalised, you will find out at next session. I have to avoid you all talking to yourselves :D

As for the former, thankyou. Alot of the homebrew was fleshing out vague bits in book but some were my addition.

I can happily confess now (mainly because I have been bursting to tell you since session one), that the egg was homebrew. It was a "happy accident". As I started out with session 1 I didn't like the random encounters they were always devoid of story flavour being a simple table of here are 3 goblins or you find some bandits etc etc. So I searched out some 3rd party mini encounters and adapted them to the campaign flavour. When I read about the blue egg encounter with two halflings it seemed like a fun RP thing and I could link it in with our Ancient Blue Dragon. So I did and thought it would be a passing thing and maybe you get a clue about a possible blue dragon... sowing seeds etc. However then Cora touched the egg and killed both halflings! and errrrr well I had to run with it then :D

So... sorry cora :D

I had no idea what was homebrew or what wasn't - there were certainly no obvious "tells" and everything seemed to have the same level of "put togetherness" - thanks!

(If anything the Giant Burial mounds, which I assume were part of the campaign and not you, were "weakest" structurally. "We're here now what?" "Detect Magic and Dig! Just like everytime!)

I thought the Golden Goose Barge was a homebrewed side quest (and the dangling thread irked my completionist side for ages) - so shows what I know.

As for intro - nope. Seemed perfectly in keeping with setting up a good cliffhanger/ending point :)

barge visit 1 was "homebrew", barge visit 2 was campaign :D

and when I say homebrew I mean "non campaign book" not that I wrote it all :D - note that I use DMSguild alot so some of it is copied direct from there, some is adapted and some is inspiration. Barge visit 1 was DMsGuild addon that I adapted :D - I won't say how the loose ends got tied up tho

EDIT - and yes on barge visit 1 you could have shortcut a massive part and found out ALOT of info if you'd done things differently... Khaspere Drylund was aboard :D

Ahh - I only thought it was homebrew as it was a dangler. In terms of set up/content it was polished to high heaven!

Some more questions (if you can answer):

Was the swampy death village (under cloud castle) homebrew?

Or the giants attacking/killing Zymorvan Hall?

Could we (realistically :P) have got in Ironforge through the front door (the 1st, 2nd, nth time?)

Was that nasty yak man that went sky diving going to kill the kid, or just abandon him?

What was up with the wizard back in Triboar where Kel'doran couldn't get past the Gargoyles? (Told you things haunt me!)

Was the Hill Giant conch always broken - or was it because we kicked the stuffing out of her, set her on fire, then threw her down a pit? (If yes, how many of the 5 possible conchs were broken?)

What was the most unexpected thing we did?

(In a cool way or a "wrong footed" you way...or both)

Was the swampy death village (under cloud castle) homebrew?

It was another adapted DMSguild thing. Calling Horns was in the campaign book but the stuff surrounding it (the mission) was VERY thin. The swampy village made it more worthwhile and it all linked up well.

Or the giants attacking/killing Zymorvan Hall?

Consequences of what you did and how it affected the world. Can't say more than that for... reasons.

Could we (realistically :P) have got in Ironforge through the front door (the 1st, 2nd, nth time?)

Assuming you mean Ironslag - Cannot answer as you might be going back :D

Was that nasty yak man that went sky diving going to kill the kid, or just abandon him?

he wasn't going to go out of his way to do the kid harm but if the going got tough he would have cut him loose. Which might've been a good or bad thing!

What was up with the wizard back in Triboar where Kel'doran couldn't get past the Gargoyles? (Told you things haunt me!)

Sorry can't say as might still turn up :D There is ALOT of the campaign you didn't touch and a bunch of other threads floating.

Was the Hill Giant conch always broken - or was it because we kicked the stuffing out of her, set her on fire, then threw her down a pit? (If yes, how many of the 5 possible conchs were broken?)

You broke it/it was broken during battle - you could have gotten a conch there in theory...  but there was  a fair chance it would've broken as she was on top of it!  No other conchs were broken only Hill Giants are dumb enough to not look after it.

I had no idea what was and wasn't homebrewed, which again is a testament to how well it was run. I'm guessing the airship was built into the campaign? Getting around might have been a bit of an issue otherwise. Either way, seeing that show up for the first time was a bit of a highlight. :)

airship was in the book yes but it isn't a "given" as it can be taken away etc etc. You have held onto it well!

Oh and I forgot to say.. the giant burial grounds were definitely as written and thin. I did contemplate fleshing them out further and had some ideas but I didn't have the time to prep that amount of stuff properly as there were a few of them and you visited them all. After the exploration of the land and the temple I was also concerned about making the burial mounds too long winded and lose focus etc.

:D

Can't believe that we had one of the standout moments of the campaign on session 1!

Although Cora had been built as a character over the previous 25 sessions so I guess it was the culmination of that character then having to do that thing just because of an egg that the DM thought might be fun :D

I can't think of a worse saving throw to fail apart from maybe Tamth's when using the bag of devouring  :unsure: (which was randomly rolled loot in dragon stash I hasten to add).

On 28/08/2018 at 09:18, Clipper said:

I should also at this point thank you all for making SKT such fun to run :D And thank you all for being patient with my mishmash of homebrew, real lore and evolving lore etc. The campaign is quite a "loose" one and you "went with it" brilliantly.

Well it's been fantastic fun to play - so thank you so much for doing a great job running it! :D

16 hours ago, Clipper said:

I can't think of a worse saving throw to fail apart from maybe Tamth's when using the bag of devouring  :unsure: (which was randomly rolled loot in dragon stash I hasten to add).

The others wont have known this - but I originally /roll 20 for that saving throw! And got a 20! All happy. Then realised what I'd typed in.

Also - I can confess this now. I don't think as Tamth I ever used Saving Throws right. Always just the ability scores...not with prof. for Wis and Cha. Opps. Might have made some ghost fights easier.

Opps.

Congratulations Clipper, on running such a big campaign to a successful conclusion. I’ve run about 14 D&D sessions so far, and based on how much work that was for me, and based on how lightly sketched some of the book material is, it’s remarkable what you’ve pulled off here. And thanks for doing the write ups, it’s been really useful seeing all the plot threads develop. 

• Upvote 1

thankyou sir it is kind of you to say so. I'll be honest that there was planning but alot of putting tracks infront of the train as it went along in places and trying to react to what the players were doing, the way they were going etc.

The trick is/was trying to keep the main players/plot and campaign in your head at all times so you know what the Harpers, Lords Alliance, Zhentarim etc etc etc are upto. Trying to get ToA ready is like learning all over again as I don't just have the whole book in my head yet like I did with SKT - but when I started SKT I only had a tiny portion of it ready etc.

I do have rough writeups for the end of the campaign and I do plan to upload them (if only to ensure Hexx doesn't have to keep reminding me he dealt the killing blow to Iymrith by removing her tail!)

• Upvote 2