VN1X

Friday the 13th - Te-te-te-ah-ah

16 hours ago, sir shrew said:

This is rough, but they're on to something.

Playing as Jason is great, they have lots of well-thought out mechanics and levelling to unlock new variants and weapons is great.

Playing as the counselors needs work, better movement options: vaulting, prone, lock-on melee. More to do other than hide and open drawers.

The cabin interiors are like Postal 2 meets Resi 4. It's just janky. Opening drawers to find items is no fun, opening and closing windows is frustrating as more often than not you'll jump back out rather than close it. Some sort of object physics would go a long way.

And it needs more maps. 

But what there is can be a lot of fun.

I agree with all this, and yet it's the first online multiplayer game in years that I've spent all day playing. It's also the first game in years to remind me that the PS4 is constantly saving the last 15 minutes of video. Left 4 Dead is probably the last time I played a multiplayer game so intensely. 

My flatmate and I had a blast just passing the controller back and forth yesterday. It's perfect at naturally playing out horror movie scenarios - the last minute escape from certain death, the mysterious stranger running in from nowhere to save you, the moment of idiocy that puts you and others in peril, the appearance of the villain from absolutely nowhere just as you get in the car, the ditching of one of your teammates when they're completely in the shit. 

When you're a counsellor, Jason seems ridiculously omnipresent and powerful. But when you play as him, you realise that you really do have to put the work in to make the most of his abilities. The game is definitely still weighted in his favour, as it should be, but he definitely isn't a win button or anything like that. 

Made a little video of my favourite moments so far. A couple of the games were a bit laggy but it doesn't really affect the game too much. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Pretty much none of them. But 1, 3 and 8 are the most fun.

How fucking dare you. Jason X is a god damn masterpiece.

• Upvote 6

Freddy Vs Jason is great fun as well, having Freddy Kruger run around telling Jason 'Yer mother never loved ya!' is much funnier than it has any right to be.

• Upvote 3

Which is the one set on a boat? It's the only I've ever seen, mainly down to it being the only one that ever seemed to be on the TV. 

I think Jason was undead though...the amount of stuff getting stuck in him seemed to suggest it.

46 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Which is the one set on a boat? It's the only I've ever seen, mainly down to it being the only one that ever seemed to be on the TV. 

I think Jason was undead though...the amount of stuff getting stuck in him seemed to suggest it.

Part VIII, Jason Takes Manhattan. Except he was only in Manhattan for the last ten minutes before getting melted by the nuclear waste that runs through new York sewers, apparently, with the rest of the film being set in the boat. 

I've had some moments playing this weekend that are up there with my very best gaming experiences. 

It's technically bad, but succeeds brilliantly at being a slasher game. Finding it quite addictive at the moment.

56 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I've had some moments playing this weekend that are up there with my very best gaming experiences. 

It's technically bad, but succeeds brilliantly at being a slasher game. Finding it quite addictive at the moment.

Between you and the video compilation posted above I think I'll have to try this. Are the server issues as bad as the outpouring of rage on their forums would have me believe?

9 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Between you and the video compilation posted above I think I'll have to try this. Are the server issues as bad as the outpouring of rage on their forums would have me believe?

Matchmaking can take up to 10 mins in my experience. It's definitely worth a try but bear in mind there are no tutorials and at first this can make it seem like there's a lot less going on than there actually is. It's rough, but persevere and get with a good mic'd group and you'll have a great time (if you're a fan of friday 13th or slashers in general). 

The server database errors should have been fixed now.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DC07 said:

I'm hopeful they'll continue to work on it and maybe later in the year it will have reached its potential, but until then I'm counting my £30 losses and leaving the ten-minute waits (when the servers are actually up) to get in on this glorified beta behind.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/friday-the-13th-the-game

The matchmaking waits are going to be fixed in a patch on PS4 today, I believe. XB tomorrow.

Yeah the matchmaking is a bitch but they're fixing it. I just leave it to idle and browse the forum or something.

I'm still continuing to love this to be honest, it's totally pulled me away from Prey which I was enjoying a lot. Recent highlights included a trash talking Jason who threw me in the fireplace while growling 'I love my meat well-done', accidentally running over and killing one of my team mates in the car, and setting two traps by the boat as Jason and watching as a counselor stumbled into both of them in quick succession and died instantly.

Best multiplayer game I've played in years, in spite of the issues. 

• Upvote 3

My love affair with this may prove to be shortlived and it's because of the community and devs.

When the Kickstarter ran they offered a skin designed by Tom Savini at some tiers, but it was easy to assume it was a kickstarter bonus . A group of us backed a group tier which unfortunately didn't include it.

After the Kickstarter, they announced this skin and some others were available via BackerKit for $6. My pal got all those emails, didn't think anything of it, we'd already backed.

Turns out the 'skin' is really a whole new character with their own perks, and there aren't many characters in the game, so it's kind of a big deal. Realising this, lots of backers have requested the opportunity to buy it again. Gun Media have stuck their finger up to those people as the skin is exclusively for the people who "believed in us". They're saying this to the people who kickstarted their game two years ago and bought their game this week despite it being a shitshow. Over dlc which cost $6. 

In terms of customer relations it's an antagonistic stance - can't agree with it at all.

Bloody hell this is good fun once it gets going! I died very quickly one round then came back as Tommy. Managed to shoot Jason, escaped his grab! An just made it to the cops by the skin of my teeth. My old man was round at the time an even said it was fun to watch. This is basically spy's vs mercs. The proxy voice stuff is brilliant, some random yank going "hiiiiiiii" as he jumped out and crushed my skull. 

Got this the other day and it's great fun. It's nowhere near as janky as I'd feared. First 4 goes I was one of the teenagers. I got away every time. The 4th go I was Jason - it's brilliant at making you feel super-powered. I killed all the kids :)

Add me folks if you can - the only drawback so far is the whole lobby in every match is full of screaming Americans :)

PSN is Hardbattle 

I've really enjoyed this but have encountered a few people using really cheap tactics and exploits and that ruins it a bit. Just play the game and have fun.  I can't see the joy I'm using a glitch or just running around tables to endlessly.  At least back in the day you could unplug someone's pad if they were being a dick.

On 27/05/2017 at 21:51, kerraig UK said:

Pretty much none of them. But 1, 3 and 8 are the most fun.

You weren't wrong.

Marathoned 1-4 and despite some unintentional comedy they're pretty dull.

Jason is a shit slasher monster tbh, just a lumbering workman. 

At least the 3rd film had some semblance of craftsmanship about it, with the punks and the barn-rope mechanic.  

Really? Had a couple of games earlier, that's a shame. It's a wonderful party game.

The gameplay needs some scrubbing up so that character movement is at least up to Resi 4 standard - but the devs have been really responsive on reddit recently, they rolled back on changes that were unpopular and the new additions are great.

Would happily set up or join some private games here if there are enough people?

41 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I see this is for sale on the Xbox One store fro £12.80. I'm a huge fan of the film series and the character of Jason. Is it worth it? Did they ever patch in the single player content?

single player is coming soon

It's worth it, but considering how successful the game was and the size of the team - the investment back into the game has been incredibly disappointing.

Games are hosted by one of the players so if the host rage quits it's back to matchmaking.

The mechanics are rough, combat is terrible, and it plays like an early 2000 PC game.

There aren't many maps, the bonus skill feature is pretty shit, gameplay is limited.

They took out friendly fire because some people were being toxic and then made a series of bad reactive design choices post-release.

Despite this it's a pretty great party game especially if you're on mic thanks to the proximity chat, and they have done a great job with the IP. It can be incredibly atmospheric.

Although I'd argue their stringent worshipping of the movies has hampered some of the game's potential.

Like Battle Royale, the asymetric slasher genre needs a big dev to step in and clean up. If this had lots of maps, a decent skill tree for counselors, advanced movement options, object physics and combat, it would be insanely good, like one of my favourite games of all-time.

• Upvote 2

i decided just to go for this owing to me love of the film series and I'm not disappointed. It's buggy, there are glitches and sometimes the matchmaking is slow, but it's FUN! It's actually as much fun to watch when you get killed as it is to play. Love the atmosphere and having a lot of little authentic touches (film score, Jason's mums voice) makes it feel a real labour of love.