robdood

I don't care if you hate Jim Sterling. You should watch the Jimquisition.

Yup, love him or hate him he does do a very good job of exposing the uglier side of the industry.

Obviously he's completely wrong about BoTW but hey no one's perfect. ;)

• Upvote 2

Some of his videos are OK. 

That one is overly melodramatic. The end bit is downright embarrassing. 

Main problems are that the arrogance probably isn't just an act and his videos are about twice as long as they need to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He can fuck off with his appropriation of Pogs and Boglins.

That being said I'd have much less of an issue with him if he didn't dress up like that and put on that godawful persona, oh and obviously for his attention-seeking articles and reviews - like breaking the YL embargo to damage the IP.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 11

I'm a big fan of Jim's work.

I don't agree with him on the Zelda score but that has no bearing on what I think of him as a person or entertainer.  I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I've been regularly watching videogame movie adaptations as "homework" to listen to Jim and Conrad Zimmermann discuss them on "The Spin-off Doctors" podcast (aka The Movie Boys).

I've watched some true stinkers (Wing Commander... Urgggh) but I excitedly acquire whatever movie they want to dismantle next!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I can't get past how he looks in that thumbnail, or any of his Jimquisition shots.

That's a shame, some of his stuff can be quite good!!  He can be a bit OTT as @HarryBizzle says above, but I still find the topics he covers interesting. 

Besides, you don't really need to 'watch' the videos - most of the time he's not on camera, and the rest of the time is usually a mishmash on unrelated game footage to avoid the copyright detection / claims.  I just listen like it's a podcast more than anything. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Some of his videos are OK. 

That one is overly melodramatic. The end bit is downright embarrassing. 

Main problems are that the arrogance probably isn't just an act and his videos are about twice as long as they need to be. 

Fair points, but I actually kinda love the fact that he can use his reach/popularity to actually make a difference to some stuff - e.g. this dodgy games review site, the many prickish asset-resellers that plagued Greenlight on Steam.   As a direct result of his videos, things have changed in the wider industry.  And do you know what?  That's a pretty cool achievement, even if I don't always think his presentation style / comedy is all that good. 

27 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

No. The guy's a cunt, adored by cunts.

He can fuck off with his appropriation of Pogs and Boglins.

That being said I'd have much less of an issue with him if he didn't dress up like that and put on that godawful persona, oh and obviously for his attention-seeking articles and reviews - like breaking the YL embargo to damage the IP.

No actually, he's just a cunt.

Are you calling me a cunt?

4 minutes ago, moora said:

He represents the worst cliche of what people think as being a "video gamer".

A fat cunt that dresses like a loser, while acting like a condescending know it all whose opinion is above everyone else's.

I'm not sure his weight has anything to do with anything, really. 

And I really don't think he's a 'cliche' at all. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Just now, dood said:

Are you calling me a cunt?

Not directly.

And he isn't 'making a difference' by singling out Steam-trash for his rants, or some dodgy review site he read about on GAF. Nobody was buying that shit before Jim Sterling shone a torch on it with faux-outrage, all because it made a good Youtube rant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Not directly.

And he isn't 'making a difference' by singling out Steam-trash for his rants, or some dodgy review site he read about on GAF. Nobody was buying that shit before Jim Sterling shone a torch on it with faux-outrage, all because it made a good Youtube rant.

You okay hun?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Not directly.

Actually as he made the news public that he was making a video about the shit review site, and badly-treated wannabe journos started sending him lots of info, several changes were made to the website, and stuff has started to disappear, as of they're trying to cover their tracks. 

He also got invited to Valve to talk about new moderation stuff for the new greenlight (the old one was abolished, icymi, thanks largely to critics like Jim making a lot of noise about how shit it was..) 

But you keep raging, dude. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like Jim, his podcasts are decent and Jimquisition is always a good watch. I don't always agree with him, but he covers a lot of bullshit that many places won't. 

His Squirty Play (or whatever they are called now) got dull in the end, but his Greenlight (both Good and Bad focussed) stuff was excellent. 

He has a persona that got him viewers and it works for him to earn a living, so I don't blame him for keeping it going. 

I dont think I could ONLY consume his stuff, but it balances out nicely with the Danny O'Dwyer's, Drew Scanlon's and Easy Allies of this world. 

• Upvote 3

I am flabbergasted people hold the guy in high regard. This is the best games journo celebrity the Youtube age can produce? So we get threads on his opinions every week on the biggest videogame forums? You see the episode recently where he donned a mask and pretended to fuck his pogs. Awful. He's the kind of guy you'd try to avoid at a party/work/on the bus.

If he and his patreons could mature past that persona, I mght be able to take him seriously.

• Upvote 6

I don't know much about his taste in games, but he's a cracking commentator. A lot of dry wit delivered with a wonderful dead pan style.... err, who apparently has a pog fettish. Well you lives and learns.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I don't know much about his taste in games, but he's a cracking commentator. A lot of dry wit delivered with a wonderful dead pan style.... err, who apparently has a pog fettish. Well you lives and learns.

He is Pansexual and I believe the 'Pog Fetish' came after some abuse he took online about his sexuality as a way to mock the abuse. It got a good reaction, so he ran with it. 

I prefer his videos when he doesn't have the outrage dial up to 11, which isn't that often nowadays. He did a fairly amusing one on Ubisoft's constant misuse of the word iconic with regards to their character's clothing. E.g pre-order now to receive Aiden from Watch_Dogs iconic trench coat as an unlockable. You know, that piece of clothing that no-one ever did or ever will call iconic. That was a pretty good watch. I'd like more low-key stuff like that tbh. 

I watch and enjoy some of his stuff. But his angry and sometimes bizarre persona which is aimed very much at the American teen can sometimes annoy.

28 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I am flabbergasted people hold the guy in high regard. This is the best games journo celebrity the Youtube age can produce? So we get threads on his opinions every week on the biggest videogame forums? You see the episode recently where he donned a mask and pretended to fuck his pogs. Awful. He's the kind of guy you'd try to avoid at a party/work/on the bus.

If he and his patreons could mature past that persona, I mght be able to take him seriously.

I don't think many here would argue he's the 'best' - but what is the best, how do you even quantify that? I like a decent spread of YouTube stuff, Jim is a distraction as good as most others, I find! 

Do you watch any shows or listen to any regular podcasts? 

43 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

fatchuck.jpg.e0212aadc4a0469e4a746db5bb8c7833.jpg

That's me at around 19 or 20 years of age. Look at the state of that moon-faced twat. Still a virgin, sat most days in my bedroom at my parents house playing games, eating microwave meals and chocolate bars, and drinking can after can of coke. And guess where I worked - a video game store!! I fucking was the cliché. 

So nowadays, when I see people like Jim Sterling, I fucking cringe. I just can't watch them, let alone take them seriously. 

Hey at least you got to meet me working in said Store. Every cloud and all that.

I'm not a fan, I prefer a more business-like/factual approach to game reviews/discussion than this over the top emotive aren't-I-a-character bullshit. Even if he's spot on I just find it tiresome to watch/listen to. Then again, I don't like most podcasters or "YouTube personalities". Maybe I'm just too old for this shit.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Sadly, he is. He really is:

addiction.jpg

The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

And here's a bonus:

fatchuck.jpg.e0212aadc4a0469e4a746db5bb8c7833.jpg

That's me at around 19 or 20 years of age. Look at the state of that moon-faced twat. Still a virgin, sat most days in my bedroom at my parents house playing games, eating microwave meals and chocolate bars, and drinking can after can of coke. And guess where I worked - a video game store!! I fucking was the cliché. 

So nowadays, when I see people like Jim Sterling, I fucking cringe. I just can't watch them, let alone take them seriously. 

Dude you didn't look like a cliché...! That is totally in your head.  The South Park / Simpsons guys, sure. But the only thing Jim has in common with them is being fat, as far as I can tell.. 

• Upvote 3

Jim Sterling is usually right (at least on journalisty issues, certainly not on matters such as what games are good), but in general he is part of an atmosphere of amped up emotions and anger in the games industry that I feel is detrimental.

• Upvote 6