Revival

The Sexy Brutale

This interested me in an Edge preview a couple of months back but I'd completely forgotten about it. Glad to see it's doing well. The art style in particular is pretty interesting. Another one to add to the list, sigh.

Thought this was a thread about @Spainkiller

If someone could confirm it's like Glegoly Holler Show I'm very interested.

But please, stop using "reviewing" in that way. The game has been reviewed, by reviewers, who are reviewing it. The game is not "reviewing" anything.

• Upvote 7

To me it sounds like some sort of update of The Great Escape, where you go around this hotel watching people do their thing, then there's a murder, and you get to do the day over and use the knowledge you gained to prevent that murder. At least I hope it's like that because that sounds utterly brilliant.

Just now, deKay said:

It'll be on PS+ in a few months.

I dunno, it has the word 'sexy' in it. Might be too hot for PSN.

Been playing this for the last few hours. It's a fantastic game, and very very stylish, the music in particular is brilliant (to be honest the whole sound design is brilliant). The only issue I have with it is that the performance on the Xbone is a bit crap at times, it's like it's having trouble reading from the drive. There are little pauses occasionally as you move between rooms (which got worse the longer I played, to the point where I'd occasionally get stutter walking across a room as if it was trying to load something in) and very occasionally a slight stutter in the music. It feels like it needs a slight patch. Aside from that it is really well designed both from a puzzle and (loose) story perspective.

I have a couple of reservations about the gating and there is one item that you pick up and don't lose at the end of a day which is inconsistent with the way other items are lost and wasn't mentioned at the time. I only realised because I went back to pick it up and it was no longer there.

• Upvote 5

On 13/04/2017 at 21:20, MW_Jimmy said:

I hope it's not like Gregory Horror Show, because, whisper it, it was a little bit shit.

It was. In the best way.

• Upvote 1

So I completed this the other day, well when I say completed I saw the credits. It's a great game but not without its issues, on the xbone at least the performance can be really poor at times with little hitches and pauses, especially when moving between rooms. The puzzles while fun aren't really that complicated and they don't really dove tail into each other at all. You tend to just prevent one murder and then it's on to the next. There are also a few mechanics in the game such as being able to speed the clock up to 4pm and 8pm that seemed completely redundant and something I never felt I had to use. The end of the game is also quite strange as you end up getting absolutely loads of exposition thrown at you to explain what's been going on. It's really nicely done although none of it is a complete revelation and it goes on for a surprisingly long time.

As I say I saw the credit but you are given a choice at the end of the game. I think possibly if I had taken the other choice I imagine that I would have needed to time all the solutions so that all the murders where prevented in one day. There is a new power that you open up right at the end (one I had been waiting for all game having noticed some things in game) that I never had to use at all.

That all sounds a bit negative however I enjoyed all my time with the game and the music, presentation, macabre atmosphere and some of the puzzle ideas are excellent. It seems to have saved before the final choice so I will probably go back and make the other choice to see what happens.

• Upvote 1

Gregory Horror Show premise sounded great on paper, but I found it very boring. Puzzles felt obtuse and not enough clever narrative misdirection.

I'm hoping that someone will say Sexy Brutale is nothing like it, and its more like a Phoenix Wright or something, because the clips I've seen make it extremely difficult to tell what the game is actually like.

6 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Gregory Horror Show premise sounded great on paper, but I found it very boring. Puzzles felt obtuse and not enough clever narrative misdirection.

I'm hoping that someone will say Sexy Brutale is nothing like it, and its more like a Phoenix Wright or something, because the clips I've seen make it extremely difficult to tell what the game is actually like.

It's more like Ghost Trick.