Goose

Deadpool 2 - 2018

Well I loved it - pretty much laughed from start to finish and it managed to fit an entertaining story in amongst all the 4th wall breaking. 

Top marks for some of the cameos too and nice to see one of the X Men villains get a proper on screen version. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, this was fantastic. Funnier than the first, you could feel the confidence from the success of the first film in this one. Don't want to say more because of spoilers, but this is funnier than Ragnarok. Just go and see it. :)

• Upvote 2

Question about the credits scenes

Spoiler

Really, spoiler

Spoiler

Was that new Jackman footage or borrowed from a previous movie? They weren’t properly on screen together, so maybe the latter. 

Saw it last night , didn't laugh as much as i thought i would and theres not a lot of story in there. It's more of the same really but felt some of the jokes came across as a little  ( x ) forced. 

It's still a good watch mind you but didn't have the same impact as the first one IMO 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

Really, spoiler

Hide contents

Was that new Jackman footage or borrowed from a previous movie? They weren’t properly on screen together, so maybe the latter. 

Spoiler

While I haven't seen the original wolverine movie, that scene actually appeared slightly out of place visually as it looked dated, and also Jackman looked a fair bit younger. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

Really, spoiler

Hide contents

I thought the latter.

I seen this. It was funny I liked it.

Spoiler

As soon as I saw Zeitgeist was in the X-Force team I had a feeling they would be toast (as he died in his first issue), but dayam. Totally didn't clock the Vanisher was Bradolph Pitler, but my handler didn't recognise Matt Damon in Thor, so I still have that over her. I also now understand why Lewis Tan didn't particularly engage with Shatterstar fans who were excited to see their favourite queer X-Man represented onscreen, haha.

Also, I was pretty wrongfooted by Black Tom and Juggernaut being in the same film, actually in the same prison, but not being the partners in crime as they traditionally are. I guess the writers found out about Black Tom while researching the Juggernaut and thought he was too hilariously stereotypical character to not use.

If I have any criticisms of the film, it's that it felt longer than it was, and was a bit too reliant on call-backs to the first film. Also, their enthusiasm to do comic book accurate renditions of characters like Colossus is definitely greater than their effects budget.

It's Deadpool turned up to 11 more references, more gags, more of everything really but a lesser film. A good watch but little more. 

8 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

I seen this. It was funny I liked it.

Reveal hidden contents

As soon as I saw Zeitgeist was in the X-Force team I had a feeling they would be toast (as he died in his first issue), but dayam. Totally didn't clock the Vanisher was Bradolph Pitler, but my handler didn't recognise Matt Damon in Thor, so I still have that over her. I also now understand why Lewis Tan didn't particularly engage with Shatterstar fans who were excited to see their favourite queer X-Man represented onscreen, haha.

Also, I was pretty wrongfooted by Black Tom and Juggernaut being in the same film, actually in the same prison, but not being the partners in crime as they traditionally are. I guess the writers found out about Black Tom while researching the Juggernaut and thought he was too hilariously stereotypical character to not use.

If I have any criticisms of the film, it's that it felt longer than it was, and was a bit too reliant on call-backs to the first film. Also, their enthusiasm to do comic book accurate renditions of characters like Colossus is definitely greater than their effects budget.

I think all the effects budget went on...

Spoiler

baby legs.

LargeEmbarrassedArchaeopteryx-size_restr

• Upvote 1

If they are going to do a third, given this one decided to go the "bigger, better, more" route, I'd like them go balls to the wall. Just abuse everything and see if it stands up to it with zero fucks as to whether it succeeds or not. Like the Blade Runner 2049 of fourth wall breaking and dick jokes. 

Spoiler

One of the rednecks Cable came across after travelling back through time was Matt Damon. The other was Alan Tudyk.

Just now, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

One of the rednecks Cable came across after travelling back through time was Matt Damon. The other was Alan Tudyk.

Spoiler

I recognised Tudyk, I didn't realise the other guy was Damon!

2 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Loved this, saw it opening day. Want to watch it again. Those opening credits are fantastic.

I did watch it again today after seeing it Tuesday. Held up very well on second viewing - enjoyed it just as much.

It is very good indeed.

• Upvote 1

I would say after an initial viewingy it's not quite as good as the first one, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spoiler

All of X-Force dying aside from Domino was hilarious. I would say this was a movie of defying expectations. Didn't expect that or Vanessa dying, or well most of the shit in this movie. I was 50/50 on it being Juggernaut in the mutant prison when that foreshadowing came up, but couldn't place who it woiuld be if it was someone else.

That said I think this may hold up better than the first on a repeat viewing, seems like there'd be a bit more to certain characters that might be missed the first time. We shall see.

Great opening fifteen minutes; Domino was hot as balls; the rest was a bit meh on account of the story being played too straight and the jokes being mostly retreads of jokes from the first film.

Entertaining, but not as original and refreshing as its less bombastic predecessor, and, ironically, a bit derivative.

3 baby dicks out of 5

Loved it. And Domino was superb. Really weird having a short Cable mind. 

Think I laughed the most at 

Spoiler

Deadpool falling onto the table and being utterly fucked up. And of course baby legs. 

• Upvote 1

Is there anything as cool as the counting down the 12 bullets bit on the bridge from the first one?

This was good fun. Not as funny as I had hoped and definitely lacked the freshness of the first - just seems like the writing team were a little less inspired this time, but pretty consistently entertaining throughout. 

Domino (a character I am totally unfamiliar with from the comics) is very good, her calmess a good contrast to Ryan Reynolds' manic goofy energy. a standalone film with that character would have potential. 

Enjoyed the balls off this. Best go in as cold as possible, some great surprises throughout. Kudos to Ryan Reynolds, he’s spun gold out of what was once a massively wasted character in XMO: Wolverine.

The parachute scene... ‘kin hell :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought it was okay which is a bit disappointing as it could have been great. The biggest problem is the amount of recycled jokes from the first film and lazy one-liners - the script needed to be wittier. Surprisingly, the best part of the film was Domino and all the related visual gags. Really impressed how they managed to squeeze so much out of a relatively modest budget too.

I notice that it opened below the first film in the US. The film is still hugely successful but Fox will be a bit disappointed about that.

It was a bit weird when the three pedestrian questions about the future made it past any level of scrutiny and they were all total duds, but overall I enjoyed it.