dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

Yeah that is what ultimately puts me off setting up an emulator machine this or the Pi, would I actually use the damn thing after the initial buzz wears off? 

It's worth noting that, if you want to emulate GameCube games, nintendont will allow you to do this, without the need to have a GC disk in the drive. Which is handy if, like me, your drive is knackered. There is a forwarder for it as well, so it appears as a channel.

• Upvote 2

Would be nice to include the Wii ISO thing as it's a convenient way to back your collection up to a drive and just play it off there. Obviously anyone who copies other ISOs over is a filthy pirate, and all that.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

How can I make the images appear at places in the guide, rather than all at the bottom?

I think you'll have to host them externally (Photobucket etc) and use the image tag, unless that's changed since the update.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

With emulators, do the roms have to be on the sd card? Or can they go on a USB hard drive?

Can go on either. USB drive is easier for space.

Are there issues with compatibility for external drives? I'm thinking of using a 2.5" 120gb drive I have lying around (it's actually a 360 hard drive) in a cheap caddy and pretty much filling it with roms.

26 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Are there issues with compatibility for external drives? I'm thinking of using a 2.5" 120gb drive I have lying around (it's actually a 360 hard drive) in a cheap caddy and pretty much filling it with roms.

Think you might need the Y USB cable for it to work unless its powered.

On 01/03/2017 at 08:27, Mallet said:

I think this appeals more to me than the PI route.

I wonder what it would be like if you hooked the Wii to a crt using RGB scart.

RGB on a CRT looks perfect because the Wii can output the exact number of vertical lines as the old machines do. 

https://forums.libretro.com/t/recommendations-for-optimal-video-settings/1097

• Upvote 1

I use a 2.5" Toshiba Aluminum Hard drive and it gets all the power it needs from 1 USB on the Wii.  Think it's more down to the hard drive than the Wii system if you need a Y cable or not. 

I prefer the separate emulators with forwarders to Retroarch. 

Tried a few things years ago in the ways of emulating on the wii and never had any issues with the few snes games etc I tried, used some wads for n64 too I think with no issues. I like modding to use the HDD instead of using discs all the time as my last Wii drive died quick and don't want this one to do the same lol.

Good guide and will use when I get a chance on Sunday.

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

What's the lowest card for the mod to work?  Got a 16 gig lying about but nothing as low as 2!  Seems most sites don't even sell the 2 gig anymore!

Doesn't need to be 2GB, list here

• Upvote 1

Is there a way to totally remod a Wii that has been partially modded? Mine has Homebrew Channel but never got as far as USB loading (this was back in the day when you had to install individual patches).

BTW, running my Wii on a CRT and I can echo what has been said, it's the last great CRT-friendly console.

This is something I might get into at some point, so thanks for the guide. I have a Mame cab, but it takes up an awful lot of room, and the battery has died inside the PC.

Is there a decent arcade stick for the Wii? The best thing about having an actual cab is having Stick and 6 buttons x 2.

My Wii is rotting away in some cupboard somewhere. Might have a go at modding it at some point. It's a US Wii mind, will that make a difference to the modding side of things?