Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

39 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Do you need to wait for PC Gamepass to expire first?

If you stack gold before your Gamepass sub expires, it will just add to your existing sub by converting at a low ratio - something like 12 months of gold becomes 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate. If you wait until it expires, you can stack 3 years of gold and that will 1:1 convert to 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If you stack gold before your Gamepass sub expires, it will just add to your existing sub by converting at a low ratio - something like 12 months of gold becomes 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate. If you wait until it expires, you can stack 3 years of gold and that will 1:1 convert to 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate.

I thought that was only the case if you had GP Ultimate already? 

6 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I thought that was only the case if you had GP Ultimate already? 

HMMMM. Let's ask some other expert forumites about that. I would imagine it then converts and extends your PC GP sub but I'm not 100% sure

11 minutes ago, Trigg said:

Perfect! Thank you. 

After a quick browse there doesn’t seem to be too much I’m missing on pc game pass…

No I think it’s pretty good on a PC certainly no need for an Xbox, just whether you want one really. 

Gave Crackdown 3 a blast over the weekend just because I fancied a bit of action. Being from a pretty much exclusively PlayStation gamer for the past few years this had only really been on my radar as a pretty ropey looking open worlder, but blow me this is great! It’s not the most impressive looking game but it runs so smoothly on my PC, and it’s just bonkers fun. Mainly setting people on fire for lols with this beam weapon and bouncing around rooftops firing grenade death on everything - it’s been a genuine pleasant surprise. And not too hard which makes me happy. Good work Sumo

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

Gave Crackdown 3 a blast over the weekend just because I fancied a bit of action. Being from a pretty much exclusively PlayStation gamer for the past few years this had only really been on my radar as a pretty ropey looking open worlder, but blow me this is great! It’s not the most impressive looking game but it runs so smoothly on my PC, and it’s just bonkers fun. Mainly setting people on fire for lols with this beam weapon and bouncing around rooftops firing grenade death on everything - it’s been a genuine pleasant surprise. And not too hard which makes me happy. Good work Sumo

Just make sure not to leave that one missing Orb to taunt you for years.

23 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's a pretty small list of additions by their usual standards - getting hyped for E3 now.

Conversely, leaving mid-month are the following:

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Console)
Night Call (Cloud, Console, and PC)
West of Dead (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Wizard of Legend (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Observation (Cloud, Console, and PC)

To echo moosegrinder, Observation is a solid, short sci-fi story that's well worth playing through before it leaves the service. Not nearly as short, but also excellent is Ace Combat 7, if you've not yet tried it. Worth blasting through if you've any fondness for the PS2-era games - all the melodrama and dogfighting you remember is present and correct.

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

HMMMM. Let's ask some other expert forumites about that. I would imagine it then converts and extends your PC GP sub but I'm not 100% sure

I tried it, PC Game Pass is irrelevant. I bought 5x 6month XBL at £17.99 each from CDKeys. +1 month free with every card (enable then disable recurring billing), +3 months for XBL upgrade deal. 38 months of GP Ultimate for £90.95. 

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Seems to have been removed from PS Now...

Hopefully they’ll add all the remaining Bethesda games following the E3 conference, off the top of my head there’s still :

Doom (2016)

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider

Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus 

Evil Within 2

Any I’ve missed? 

Downloaded SW: Battlefront II last night and enjoying the campaign for the most part.

It’s buggy as hell though! Which is weird considering it came out years ago and is such a high profile title. Presumed it would be fixed by now.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Well they had to commit all their resources to un-fucking the multiplayer then by the time that was done they probably had to move on.

Christ, thank god these muppets lost exclusivity on the license.

Ok, this is just reminding me why I’ve always hated Battlefront now. No discernible AI, animation like shop-dummies, guns that feel like they're popping out spuds and enemies/allies literally standing still, an inch from each other, shooting each other in the face until one falls down.

The campaign is very mediocre and I’m as forgiving as they come. Like all DICE games it’s 100% about the multiplayer or the very fun co-op mode if you just want to slice up Stormtroopers with a lightsaber. Both modes are excellent now after a good few years of updates and patches and there’s a monstrous amount of content and characters from all three trilogies.

I actually thought the single-player mode was fine, it's a few hours' uncomplicated blasting through some classic Star Wars environments and it all looks and sounds tremendous.

The multiplayer is definitely where it's at, though, the amount of content in there is just insane.

7 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Thanks, I’ll head for the multiplayer.

Edit: Fuck me, it’s crashed again. 

Start with the co-op mode Pineholestar mentioned.  It is the best way to start unlocking and powering up the hero characters, and is great for a quick session with each game lasting 15 minutes or so maximum.

20 hours ago, spanx said:

I too found it to be a great game!! The platforming part on the propaganda towers works very nicely, there's a great sense of verticality (something I love in games) to it and just bounding around from building to building is really fluid. The rooftop, car and wing suit races offer a fairly decent challenge too. I hammered it at launch and just this weekend dipped into it again to go do a bit of orb hunting and a few hours of mindless mayhem just flew by. Like you say it's not hard work but it's certainly great fun :)

I'm guessing that as it didn't review brilliantly there's not going to be any DLC going to be coming out for it, shame really as there's plenty of room on the map for them to squeeze more stuff into. 

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Downloaded SW: Battlefront II last night and enjoying the campaign for the most part.

It's the worst campaign in a BF/FPS game ever. I'd quit now if I were you as it slowly gets worse and worse, somehow.

Microsoft has sent me a reminder reminding me my promotional balance is set to expire in a month, which is great, except they have sent me literally 10 emails so far. Bizarre.

Fuck me, Observation was a head trip and a half. 😱

Did it in one 5 hour session and am glad I ticked it off my (ever-growing) 'Play Later' list before it leaves in a week or so. The sound design was phenomenal and I enjoyed the puzzles and interface design too. A great idea (an interactive 2001 meets Event Horizon, essentially) that was well executed. It probably wears its cinematic influences a little too heavy on its sleeve and it's not for everyone for sure, but I think they pulled off what they were going for very well.

Night Call's leaving soon too and that's another that I enjoyed when I played it a few months ago. More of a series of noirish visual novel vignettes than anything but some of them are really delicately observed and there's some very good writing to be found within. Its sedate yet often taut depictions of the tragic figures that slip through the cracks of society, the untold tales that every stranger you've never met has buried within them and the immigrant experience in nocturnal Paris I found to be hugely evocative at times. Its visual style and music are wonderful too.

Both well worth checking out before they leave if you're after something low on action but high on narrative intrigue and drenched in atmosphere. Both also only around 4-5 hours long.

On 02/06/2021 at 18:38, AlexM said:

I tried it, PC Game Pass is irrelevant. I bought 5x 6month XBL at £17.99 each from CDKeys. +1 month free with every card (enable then disable recurring billing), +3 months for XBL upgrade deal. 38 months of GP Ultimate for £90.95. 

So I’m going to try to do this over the weekend, is there anything I need to do specially or is it pretty straight forward? 

Quick look on CD keys but couldn’t find the XBL 6+1 month for £17.99? Or is that just a promotion? 

My PC Pass doesn’t expire still next week but I can reactivate it to be fair. 

On 02/06/2021 at 19:17, Stanley said:

Hopefully they’ll add all the remaining Bethesda games following the E3 conference, off the top of my head there’s still :

Doom (2016)

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider

Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus 

Evil Within 2

Any I’ve missed? 

Fallout 3 is mysteriously gone. Was looking for it when I went to play the Steam version and it wouldn't run at all.

2 hours ago, Trigg said:

So I’m going to try to do this over the weekend, is there anything I need to do specially or is it pretty straight forward? 

Quick look on CD keys but couldn’t find the XBL 6+1 month for £17.99? Or is that just a promotion? 

My PC Pass doesn’t expire still next week but I can reactivate it to be fair. 

It’s pretty straight forward. If you have XBL Gold already make sure auto renew is turned off.

When you redeem a code Microsoft will offer you a free month if you enable auto renew - accept the offer, then go to your settings and turn auto renew off. Repeat. 

I think you also have to be careful that the 'free month' doesn't take you over the point which means you can't enter your next code - iirc, you can't stack more than 36 months - so if you get to 31 you won't be able to redeem another 6 month code.