PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

Good tips John0! I'd add that Gathering Swarm is also a pretty essential charm - there are a ton of useful things to buy in the early game, and not having to mop up Geo really helps speed things up.

I'd suggest not equipping the compass and learning the environment as you go by checking the map occasionally. The empty notch you can fill with Gathering Swarm or anything else really.

Must say out of the Charms...

Spoiler

... the Grubberfly's Elegy is my current favourite. The sword waves make getting rid of smaller enemies so much more efficient.

Yeah having the compass equipped does mean you are constantly looking at the map to know where you are as you don't learn the paths as well. It depends how you wanna play though I guess. Some people really enjoy that learning aspect, others just want to not get lost :). And yeah I use Gathering Swarm at all times too for dat sweet geo.

I had a quick go at Steel Mode last night. Died twice on the fat guys with knives. Mainly I was just too cavalier and forgot that I had so little life and no double jump or anything. I think the game's harder in the early game in many ways just because of lack of maneuverability. Think I might leave that mode for now! Kind of tempted to try a mini speed run to the Mantis Lords or something.

Edit: Cyhwuhx I haven't even found that charm yet!

Just found & beat Flukemarm first try! /humblebrag

She didn't have much chance against my Shaman stoned Howling Wraiths! :D

This game, am loving slowly chipping away at it. :wub:

Finally started this after months of neglecting it and it accumulating digital dust on my HDD. Made it to Greenpath pretty much unscathed and unlocked the fast travel there as well. Died once in Greenpath when I dropped down an area and landed in between two of those tall knight duders. Made quick work of them the second time around though! Was a bit worried as I had like 700 Geo. 

The balance between art and gameplay is sublime btw. It manages to display detailed environments without losing clarity for the player. It's something that a lot of 2D games still get wrong unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3

So I started again.  Killed a few plants and then fell down a well :(

Found my self in the Forgotten Crossroads and realised that I'm adept at killing foliage but have no sense of direction.

This game will be the death of me (again and again)

I read people are using multiple save files. Does that mean you can not see all there is to see on a single playthrough? 

18 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I read people are using multiple save files. Does that mean you can not see all there is to see on a single playthrough? 

You can see basically everything in one playthrough. There are two small either/or choices that give you a different bit of plot and a different achievement, and one more that decides whether you face a tough post-game boss. Don't worry about it!

Although that post-game boss is a delightfully evil bastard, so if you like that sort of thing, do make sure you fight them.

I think the first five or so hours are a bit on the edge for me. I was enjoying it but wasn't sure if it was just good or great. After you get a couple of the traversal abilities, it just keeps getting better. 

It's an amazing game.  

• Upvote 3

It really is something wonderful. I found the first few hours to be merely good but eventually reached a stage where the world and your abilities really open up and the realisation hits that you're playing something pretty special.

• Upvote 1

I haven't finished yet, but I feel this is probably going to be a classic. Enjoyed every moment of the 20 or so hours so far.

I was struggling with the acid and figured there must be an item to stop it considering style entrances required it.

Finally found it :facepalm:

I might have to take the sleepers on soon.

I really hate the sections with the purple plant things where you have to hit downwards in order to make yourself jump higher.  Even with the d-pad on the pro controller, it seems to be pot luck whether pressing down actually causes the correct action.  Doing a standard attack can kill you in two ways, it can send you backwards off the plant or cause you to miss your jump if you're counting on getting the action correct.  Very frustrating and I keep getting killed in the new area I've reached because of it (cost me a fragile charm too).

17 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I really hate the sections with the purple plant things where you have to hit downwards in order to make yourself jump higher.  Even with the d-pad on the pro controller, it seems to be pot luck whether pressing down actually causes the correct action.  Doing a standard attack can kill you in two ways, it can send you backwards off the plant or cause you to miss your jump if you're counting on getting the action correct.  Very frustrating and I keep getting killed in the new area I've reached because of it (cost me a fragile charm too).

Make the hits a tad earlier. Or get nail-lengthening Charms. There's a definite a-ha moment to them.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Make the hits a tad earlier. Or get nail-lengthening Charms. There's a definite a-ha moment to them.

Ooh, yeah thanks!  I think the nail-lengthening charm would definitely help.

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I've bought one of those 8bitdo SNES pads because of this. I just can't reliably press up or down using the analogue pad. Sounds a bit ridiculous but I don't know how other people do it. It's not arrived yet, but I hope this basically means the end of using analogue sticks for 2D games :).

5 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Except where you need all the shoulder buttons like hollow knight :(

It's got two shoulder buttons on both sides. It's basically a Switch controller, but just in the shape of a SNES pad, as far as I can figure out.

sf30pro-spec.png

1 minute ago, John0 said:

It's got two shoulder buttons on both sides. It's basically a Switch controller, but just in the shape of a SNES pad, as far as I can figure out.

sf30pro-spec.png

Ah. I bought the one without the analogue sticks! Should have checked :(

I've just got my last entry in the Hunter's Journal yesterday, finishing up my 107% playthrough at 44 hours. The 23rd cannot come soon enough. Sorry for the incoming wall of text!

Holy fuck what an incredible game this is. I basically rage-bought it after playing through Chasm, which felt so lightweight as a metroidvania experience that I wanted something more substantial to sink my teeth into, and boy did I get it. I kind of wrote this game off when it came out last year despite the hype, having felt disappointed by almost every indie metroidvania of the last 5 years, especially those like Guacamelee, in which you never felt out of your depth, or Ori and the Blind forest, where the hand-drawn art style felt detrimental to gameplay (all of those foreground elements blocking your view of platforms for tricky platforming, the hit and hurtboxes feeling imprecise, exacerbated by the overdone use of light and particle effects making for exceptionally wooly feeling combat).

So, I feared this would be the same. And at first, like a few others have mentioned on here, upon starting I thought my fears were well founded; the controls seemed imprecise in areas, especially playing on the Switch joycons which don't have a d-pad, I was struggling to consistently do down strikes, etc, but the thing that made me overlook that red flag and keep playing was the simple feeling that the developers really understood metroidvanias. The world was massive; as soon as I jumped down that well into Hallownest, there seemed like overwhelming options for exploration, and there was plenty of stuff in plain sight that I couldn't access until later. Grub babies, swtiches, locked doors... It felt like a game with a lot of secrets to reveal. And I'm so glad the exploration and world was so enticing, as 25 hours later, when I'd finished the path of pain (which I had to redo at least 3 times after reaching the end, as I was fairly underpowered for the fight), I definitely didn't have any complaints about the controls any more.

Before playing, I was also a bit suspicious of how much the game seemed to borrow from Dark Souls, but I think it was pretty great in all regards, the lore is interesting enough for me not to mind how similar a lot of stories and locations are, and the equivalent bloodstain mechanic is absolutely spot on. I love the extra layer of tension the threat of dying provides when exploring new areas, especially when desperate for a bench like in Deepnest! It's just perfect for a metroidvania game! I love the fact there's actually a little fight when you reach your shade too, which adds a little something extra to the process when there are several enemies or hazards nearby. For a game with such excellent mobility options, where you can cover a lot of ground relatively quickly and safely, merely touching an inanimate spot on the ground wouldn't have had the same effect it does in the Souls games, so I think it was a stroke of genius to make it an easy but occasionally annoying fight. The Souls-like NPC dialogue is a little variable in quality, but enjoyable for the most part, I really came to love a lot of those characters!

The thing that really makes this game feel like it was made just for me though, is the boss design. From the early bosses like Hornet and False Knight who teach you Souls-esque lessons about patience and the virtues of dodging, to the full on bullet-hell zone gaming brilliance of NKG, I think they did an amazing job. Especially towards the end of the game, with the harder optional bosses feeling like they would be right at home in a Megaman Zero game.

I'm not going to list my favourite moments, as there are a lot, and it's basically the same as Joeplus' list anyway!

TL;DR This is probably in my top 5 games ever now.

• Upvote 8

This game. :wub: I'm about 12 hours into it now. 

Spoiler

The Soul Master took me a few goes. When I had the pattern down though, it was easy. Since been to the Crystal Peak, I think it was called and picked up another awesome move and found my way back to Dirtmouth. 

Its just so well designed. As soon as you start feeling hopelessly lost you stumble across a directional signpost and all caution goes to the wind as you concentrate on finding that bench/stag station/map keeper. And then you sigh with relief and the cycle continues on from there. 

I think I'm due a return to the opening areas with my new powers now. See what I can unlock. 

So this really is fantastic isn't it? I've bounced off a few games quite quickly recently and was worried I was going through a patch of hating gaming but I've just spent all afternoon on this which hasn't happened in quite a while. I did find the first area a bit slow, confusing and dull, which worried me, but everything since has been gold. Has that perfect Souls feeling of going deeper and deeper into the unknown and wanting to find anything - a map, a stag station, a bench - just anything to mark your progress by and feel just a little bit safer if only for a minute. Also has the perfect drip feed of new areas, mechanics and enemies.

Shaping up to be GOTY material I think.

I think I'm getting close to the endgame now, but I'm still constantly discovering new things. 

I had a slight wobble with it at one point when I thought I had to grind a load of money to progress. I decided to combine this with a big exploration pass to hoover up any secrets I'd missed, and along the way I stumbled on a quick, non-grindy way to make a load of money.

It's all so well designed and paced, and I think I'm going to miss it when I'm done