PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

Finding it waaay harder than DS, which is, bar a few bits (O&S, the DLC) just an exercise in patience, with generous input windows. This requires proper twitch reactions on some bosses and can be fiddly in places, like those bouncy mushrooms you downslash to attack. It also has very poor signposting compared to DS, so can be a bit more frustrating.

• Empathy 2

Getting quite into it now. The first boss was pretty straightforward once I worked out his moves, and it's got that great Metroid feel to it. 

I just wanna say, even though it was a while back I did it, Hornet is an absolutely wonderful boss battle and teaches you so much about the patience and timing required. I absolutely fucking adore this game and wished I'd dived in on release. It almost, almost tops Super Metroid for me and I see that as the greatest game of all time, even if it isn't personally the best I've played.

• Upvote 1

On 28/06/2018 at 00:41, joeplus said:

This one feels a bit like the real deal.

Not reading owt in the thread until I'm proper stuck!

Two and a half weeks later: yep, real deal confirmed. Got to the ending (an ending?). Had many incredible moments. Learned what X does. Still not sure I want to wade into the internet: I'm discovering new stuff, but it's getting a bit slower.

If anyone very experienced would like to provide a hint about

Spoiler

how you get into the beehive-themed area that I've only seen a tiny hint of,

then that would be just swell.

Addendum: a spoilered list of things/moments I adore.

Spoiler
  • Addictive from the word go, because the jumping and slashing just feels right.
  • It's astonishing how you can find one tiny thing that expands the scope of the game so far. The lack of signposting makes me sure every player does things in a different order (my knight was already very buff before finding the relatively easy "swim in acid" item!)
  • The second Crystal Guardian was the first boss fight to really vex me, in terms of having to try different charm sets, and it completely opened my mind. I beat the Traitor Lord hardly using the nail at all, and I felt real smart.
  • City of Tears' music is heartbreaking.
  • Too much moral ambiguity in a storyline can feel lazy, but the advent of the Dream Nail is managed brilliantly. I was shell-shocked.
  • Just fought through an explicitly creepy spider-themed area, found the central hub, and a friendly soul insists you take a seat? Yes of course! Wait a minute, I'm the most basic idiot in history. Taking advantage of gaming instincts to do environmental storytelling, no fuss. Hilarious.
  • I love the Last Stag, and I'm really worried something bad will happen to them. I've found their home, it's got a rickety floor and there's an empty eggshell. Please let this be a happy one.
  • The grainy effect on the "rest" music piped into the tram.
  • So I've had an ending, and so much in the game's dialogue is pointing me towards the next one, but apart from having the King's Brand, I haven't really got there yet. I wonder if I now can't, maybe I made my choice? Dunno. Who fucking knows. Who knows!? That's also great.
  • Not every new charm I find is great, but the good ones I find are game-changers.
  • Grey Prince Zote was an absolute bastard, but I got him. Unfortunately, this was one of the few things I googled for help with, and it turns out you can fight him ten times and he gets harder every iteration. I hate him so much. I listened to all your shitty tips as well, you absolute melt.
  • Not sure how I feel about Steel Soul mode. There's an "achievement", not that relevant as I'm on Switch, for a no-death 100%, and it does feel a bit cheap to deny satisfaction to all but the absolute sadists. That said, I'll be seeking out streamers doing it when I'm more complete.
  • Two trials down and Trial of the Fool is hard but fair. I'll get that one.
  • I haven't really found any "synergies" between charms, apart from Defender's Crest + Glowing Womb, which is very funny. Smelly, explosive babies.
  • I accidentally exorcised the opera singer ("why did that happen?") and the gravekeeper ("oh shit, that's why") with my Dream Nail and I feel terrible about it.
  • The "carrying a fragile flower" quest was funny - at first, I thought you just had to not die, rather than not get hit. In my blissful ignorance, I got about two thirds of the way, then muffed up. After that, I failed half a dozen more times at easier points, because I had the nerves!
  • More enthusiastic bullet points to follow: it's wonderful.
  • It's just wonderful.

• Upvote 3

I adore this but I've got myself in a bit of a rut. Not really sure where to go now.

Still, half the fun of a good Metroidvania are those eureka moments that allow you to suddenly open up a whole chunk of the map. Will keep at it.

3 hours ago, Nequests said:

I adore this but I've got myself in a bit of a rut. Not really sure where to go now.

Still, half the fun of a good Metroidvania are those eureka moments that allow you to suddenly open up a whole chunk of the map. Will keep at it.

Really love this aspect. I’ve reached the final boss before opening up certain chunks and it’s really nice to just traverse and collect Geo. :)

Spoiler

Which by golly you need for regaining those fragile Charms at the Grimm Troupe. 

Just did the Dung Defender, what a great boss, he almost seemed like a friend! I liked him a lot :D

This game is just so lovely. 

I'm sure I've mentioned this in the past but you seem to mirror me in what games we both like (Robdood). I always know if you like a game, then i'm more than likely going to enjoy it too! Separated at birth perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Finally back into some serious progression, as it seems I somehow missed a massive chunk of the mines. Got a tasty upgrade that should help me reach a whole bunch of different places.

It's good that even though I was sort of stuck, I was still finding loads of little areas with upgrades and interesting characters. This game really delivers.

Did the Mantis Lords on Monday and the Soul Master yesterday (I can't remember what it was actually called). Thought the Mantis Lords were fantastic especially, definitely favourite boss so far. Had that old Souls feel where it seems really unfair at first but I slowly get to grips with it, and actually "wooped!" out loud when I did it. Just really in love with this game right now :wub:.

• Upvote 3

I think in terms of combat and manoeuvrability it outdoes both Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. 

I also find the setting / world / themes more interesting. 

Despite saying I was done, I couldn’t resist dipping back in to try & mop up some loose ends such as farming Essence.   I managed to beat Grimm & even did one of the Dream Boss fights using mostly charms & hardly striking the enemy myself.

I still think that the true final boss of the game will be a bit beyond me, but now I can see myself eventually getting to it, at least trying, & perhaps even succeeding through perseverence if nothing else.  I’m not usually willing to keep throwing myself into a meat grinder over & over, but something about Hollow Knight Compels me to keep trying.  I suspect it’s that the game is hard, but fair.  The bosses are never cheap, & all of them can be overcome as long as you learn their patterns & how to respond to them.

• Upvote 2

It's fucking brilliant this game, just the atmosphere alone is so relaxing and beguiling. GOTY for me so far, and it's not even a close contest. 

• Upvote 5

OH MY GOD WTF

Spoiler

My geo. All my geo. It was a sham! That damn banker! Nothing but cardboard and mirrors. When I get my hands on that bug...

(Top 10 greatest videogame betrayals surely. This game is something else...)

• Empathy 1

Ok the bosses are getting a bit to hard for my platforming skills. I don't think I'm terrible but I've had to give up on the Watchers in the city, the Lost Kin and the Flukeworm (sorry if the names are slightly wrong) now. The problem is I don't have any kind of tactic or way to win. I'm not improving every time I try like on the other bosses. I just get battered and can't figure out a way to not get battered.

Just now, John0 said:

Ok the bosses are getting a bit to hard for my platforming skills. I don't think I'm terrible but I've had to give up on the Watchers in the city, the Lost Kin and the Flukeworm (sorry if the names are slightly wrong) now. The problem is I don't have any kind of tactic or way to win. I'm not improving every time I try. I just get battered and can't figure out a way to not get battered.

Regarding Flukeworm:

Spoiler

You can use Howling Wraiths by standing on the platform next to him. Wait for the spawns to come in range, and let loose with Howling Wraiths. The spawns should be killed and immediately give you enough SOUL to repeat the cycle. Piece of piss when I discovered that one really. :P

Cheers for the reply Cyhwuhx, but not going to click on spoilers just yet. May well come back to these posts soon though.

Hornet Pt. 2 and Lost Kin are down. I've got RSI and it took me about 60 goes combined. But they are down :)

Could not have done Lost Kin without...

Spoiler

The Dung/Defender Charm. Meant I barely had to worry about the fire ghosts and could get into a rhythm with the actual boss. Once I started being more aggressive then I started making progress. Couldn't believe how many times it got back up again!

I'm sitting here at work listening to the soundtrack :wub:. The sound in this game is so good. Not just the music but the voices and made up language (I assume!). I keep saying "Patawa Geo?" to myself! (I've no idea if I've even got that right). Also the humming of the map maker. And the Dung Defender's booming shouts. Just perfect.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, John0 said:

I'm sitting here at work listening to the soundtrack :wub:. The sound in this game is so good. Not just the music but the voices and made up language (I assume!). I keep saying "Patawa Geo?" to myself! (I've no idea if I've even got that right). Also the humming of the map maker. And the Dung Defender's booming shouts. Just perfect.

*sigh* Bapa nada....

• Upvote 4