MW_Jimmy

Celeste

Ah, this is pretty much the perfect videogame for me.

Madeline can scamper swiftly through the stages and Towerfall's dash-jump is back except it's far easier to use. Each screen is tightly designed and the secrets are hidden with nintendo-logic; rewarding you for snooping around.

Rather than the 2D Mario Games it's reminding me most of 3D Land (possibly my favourite platformer) thanks to the shadow chases and rhythmic beat-block platforming. There was a cute Mario 3 reference in too.

I'm only up to the fifth chapter so far; I absolutely adore it. Ah! 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is this a “not hard to get through it” not hard or a “not hard to get all the strawberries” not hard?

Because I’m in the first world and some of the strawberries have been awfully tricky. 

I’m really enjoying it, though. 

Not hard to get through, with persistence. I haven’t got all the strawberries yet.

Really enjoying this though the lack of a good dpad on the joy cons doesn't help with a few of the deaths. On chapter 4 right now. Died a lot on chapter 3 (one area in particular being chased must've been over 100 deaths). Music is great

Chapter 3 - 1h22, 15 strawberries and a whopping 327 deaths. 

I reckon at least 50 of those were because I have a tendency to do a straight or diagonal dash when I want to do the opposite. The Joycon sticks and crappy D-pad make it more difficult than it should be. 

• Upvote 1

The last 3rd of the 2nd level after the

mirror break

is what really turned this into a work of genius for me. 

I died over 200 times and was still grinning from ear to ear throughout that whole sequence. 

I think to those asking about difficulty I would say the following.

Finishing the levels is hard but not impossible. 

Getting all the strawberries is going to be ridiculously difficult. 

It doesn’t feel unfair and the mechanics are set up so well that you genuinely do feel super human when you realise the repeated deaths are training you to get through a section. 

Its great stuff. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

The last 3rd of the 2nd level after the

Hide contents

mirror break

is what really turned this into a work of genius for me. 

I died over 200 times and was still grinning from ear to ear throughout that whole sequence. 

I think to those asking about difficulty I would say the following.

Finishing the levels is hard but not impossible. 

Getting all the strawberries is going to be ridiculously difficult. 

It doesn’t feel unfair and the mechanics are not set up so well that you genuinely do feel super human when you realise the repeated deaths are training you to get through a section. 

Its great stuff. 

That bit is fantastic and accounts for most of my deaths but you’re spot on as it was ‘inpossible’ when I started but then you pick up the flow and controls fall into place and I could probably go to it now and do it first attempt!

Chapter 4 - anyone able to help with this?

Spoiler

Y7m21Oo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1WNlhIA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Can’t for the life of me figure out what to do. 

I’m up to 53 strawberries. Some of them have had me nearly throwing my Switch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Chapter 4 - anyone able to help with this?

Hide contents

Y7m21Oo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1WNlhIA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Can’t for the life of me figure out what to do. 

I’m up to 53 strawberries. Some of them have had me nearly throwing my Switch. 

Clue: 

Spoiler

Super Mario Bros 3

Solution:

Spoiler

Stand on the white block and keep holding down on the dpad until you fall through it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much. If I've ever played the game in the clue, I was too young to remember anything about it so didn't have a clue.

I really like this game. £18 is fairly pricey but so far it's earning its price tag.

I had first go on the big telly and pro pad today, it’s better on the pro (as is every game) but my word the music is amazing - most of my play in handheld mode has been with the music off/low but will be using headphones having heard it :wub:

Just picked this up. Only played about an hour but I can already see it's a gem. Controls feel just lovely, I'm actually finding the Switch button-joypad fine so far. The little bits of dialogue are charming, and the music too. Nice stuff, this.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I feel nothing when I get a strawberry. No triumph or satisfaction. Just the desire to wipe them from the face of the earth - ever onward, to the next Strawberry.

Every now and again I set my sites on one and will not stop until I do, the one below is on chapter 4 and basically made me feel like a gaming god when I got it but when you watch a replay it’s not that impressive and totally sketchy...

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

This game is stunning. Probably the best 2d platformer I've played since Tropical Freeze; they've really nailed the movement of Madeline with a consistency of weight/inertia that I find some other games don't quite get right (such as Super Meat Boy who is too light, or Rayman who is all over the place). Music has been a real surprise, with level 4's track being the standout piece so far. I've not been obsessive over the strawberries as of yet, nor have I ventured into the B-sides, but it seems like it will give plenty of content to keep me busy over the coming weeks.

The wife has been away this weekend and I've been consigned to the settee following a football injury, but alternating between this and Mario Odyssey has made it an awesome couple of days!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Clue: 

Reveal hidden contents

Super Mario Bros 3

Solution:

Reveal hidden contents

Stand on the white block and keep holding down on the dpad until you fall through it.

Jesus :wub::wub:

When I got to that bit, I thought to myself, doesnt that look like the bit in......, but didnt think to even try doing that :lol:

Nnngh why does this have to look so good? I'm currently juggling Xenoblade Chronicles 2, No Man's Sky and Stardew Valley, it would be suicide to add this to the mix too....right?

41 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Nnngh why does this have to look so good? I'm currently juggling Xenoblade Chronicles 2, No Man's Sky and Stardew Valley, it would be suicide to add this to the mix too....right?

Buy it, I’ve played it over Fortnite today and that never happens :o 

Right, I'm on board. This is NAILS hard isn't it? I've never died so much on a game. Really enjoying it. I'm actually proper stuck where I am currently but I'll figure it out 

20180128_204137.jpg

Edit - Nope can't figure it out, help please 

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Every now and again I set my sites on one and will not stop until I do, the one below is on chapter 4 and basically made me feel like a gaming god when I got it but when you watch a replay it’s not that impressive and totally sketchy...

Reveal hidden contents

Well done. I gave up on that one. Couldn’t hack it with the Joycon. 

Couldn't resist going back and playing some more this afternoon. Then afternoon turned into evening... finished the main story! Just couldn't put it down as I neared the end. 

What a corker this is.

Spoiler

Some genuinely beautiful moments in the story, including bits that struck a personal chord. The sequence on the lift with the panic attack and the feather technique was just beautifully done, a very deft touch there. And it doesn't feel incongruous with the steep difficulty somehow, I think the visual and sound design play a big part there.

And woo-hoo, having the double-dash is fun. Adored the Summit area, it felt so precipitous with all the vertical faces, that you're suddenly equipped to tackle.

By the end I was disregarding all strawberries (I just wanted to get there!) so plenty of treasure hunting left to do. Death count was 1,003 (I enjoyed the little "be proud of your death count, you're learning!" message and all).

• Upvote 1

Chapter 5 seemed to go on forever for me. I got almost all of its Strawberries but I was in there an hour and a half! I enjoyed the puzzles but I think those flying, Kid Icarus monoeye enemies are the first part of the game I've not been keen on. I feel like there's something about them I haven't properly figured out (like how to better influence their direction. Also you can blast yourself screen-wide from their respawn explosion but I've not made great use of that). They come back to life frustratingly quickly too.

Everything else is so very good, though. Didn't intend to look at them before finishing the main game but I Tried out the first Bside this evening. So much fun.

https://twitter.com/joffocakes/status/957761932362215424

• Upvote 1

I’ve owned a PS4 for two years and I’ve already bought twice as many Switch games as I own PS4 games. It’s so damn up my street as a console. I sometimes wish my job involved getting more trains.