Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Night in the Woods - Emo 'em up

banner.jpg

By Infinite Fall

Official Site | Steam | GoGPS4

Release date: February 21, 2017

ABOUT

College dropout Mae Borowski returns home to the crumbling former mining town of Possum Springs seeking to resume her aimless former life and reconnect with the friends she left behind. But things aren't the same. Home seems different now and her friends have grown and changed. Leaves are falling and the wind is growing colder. Strange things are happening as the light fades. And there's something in the woods.

Join Mae on a trip through her hometown and into the dark on the other side.

NIGHT IN THE WOODS is an adventure game focused on exploration, story, and character, featuring dozens of characters to meet and lots to do across a lush, vibrant world. After a successful Kickstarter it's being made by Infinite Fall, a teamup of Alec Holowka (Aquaria), Scott Benson (Late Night Work Club), and Bethany Hockenberry.

Coming in 2017 to PC/Mac/Linux and PS4. In the meantime, check out the two supplemental Longest Night games below.

Lost Constellation (itch.io) - Longest Night (itch.io)

IMAGES

animated0.gif animated1.gif

animated2.gif animated3.gif

animated4.gif animated5.gif

Spoiler

screenshot0.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

DxhPn83.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

ncRPnqv.jpg

Ae0jg0Z.jpg

VIDEOS

Spoiler

If you're like me and like your games to be short and sweet or 'all killer, no filler' then Night in the Woods seems like another... winner! I've been enjoying these narrative focused games a lot as of late and titles like Life is Strange, Oxenfree, Inside, Kentucky Route Zero, Firewatch, etc all do a terrific job of telling a story without being self indulgent* or having to rely on padding to increase their play time. That being said I do feel like some of these games are a bit too pricey though. This is currently €20 on Steam which I feel is a bit too high considering it will most likely be a 4 to 6 hour game. Then again it might very well end up being worth every penny so who knows. I hope we'll get some reviews soon as it does look very promising.

*This does not apply to Dear Esther as even though I was a fan of that game I think we can all agree that its writing was kind of taking the piss, to say the least.

• Upvote 3

Night in the Woods delayedis out now!?!?!?

In a shocking turn of events, the colourful homecoming adventure Night in the Woods [official site] did not get delayed this week, causing it to become available on your PC mere hours ago. This is bad news for me. We’ve had our ‘Night in the Woods has been delayed again’ article ready to go for weeks, based on all the other times it’s beenpostponed, and now we’ve been totally blind-sided. That’s why this news piece is so late. I’ve had to re-write the whole thing from scratch.

If you’ve been absent for the past nine hundred years, it’s a platform-y adventure about a cat called Mae Borowski returning to her hometown and trying to reconnect with her old pals. But everyone is different. It’s set up as an exploration of that old Wolfeism – you can’t go home again – but with cartoon animals. Oh, and I guess there’s some spooky thing happening in the forest on the outskirts of town too.

Anyway, it’s finally on Steam for twenty United States dollar signs (£14.99 in Queen money) and also on Itch.io for the same price. But stop rushing! John is going to have a review ready for you soon, asking all the right questions: is it adorable and heartfelt story-telling? Or is it try-hard hipster gubbins? You’ll have to come back here to find out.

That’s what we call a hook, loser!

Still waiting for a review or comment somewhere to tell me how long the bloody game actually is. 

More hours into this. I love it to bits; it's fair to say that this game has been skirting the top of my most anticipated list since I saw the first trailer back in 2014.

I don't think it's going to be for everybody, but if you like Point 'n' Click adventures with platformer controls, you're probably on the right track.

Just a word of warning though, this is *not* a fast moving plot in any way shape or form. In fact, thus far it's been pretty meandering and focused on establishing the characters and the town, with only the odd hint of the strangeness going on. There are absolute rock solid links with Longest Night, and I reckon I know roughly what's going on in Possom Springs based on what happens in that game - but on the other hand I could just be seeing stuff that I want to see in it.

I've always been a fan of "small town" fiction, and have always had those strange romantic notions of being stuck and bored in a shit tiny town that's falling to bits and the only thing that keeps you sane is a strong group of friends. Obviously I'm totally aware that it wouldn't really be all that fun - but this is where games like this come in.

Total bargain at £15.

• Upvote 4

So I'm not going to let this game drift off into the depths of the forum just yet.

I've done another couple of hours, still absolutely captivated by the game. I guess I'd characterise the game as a series of lovely little stories each woven into the larger story. There's definite interconnections to things, but the game is generally brave enough not to spell it out to you; obviously, I'm sure if any of it becomes completely plot critical they'll have the character link things, but for the most part it's left up to you to think about what you've seen or read.

That's the main structure of the game, really - a series of interconnected little sequences which reveal more about the core characters, or the town, or both; once again, if that sounds interesting then whoop - but if the idea of going bowling with your cousin Roman turns you into a seething ball of rage then possibly not. I think I'm doing a disservice to the game by drawing that comparison, though.

There's a sense of growing peril in the game at the moment but no overt danger. It's sort of becoming clear that something is deeply wrong in Possum Springs, but nobody else can really see it. In some ways it makes me think of Stephen King's IT, where part of the horror is the town which is blind to what's crawling just beneath it's surface. The actual monster itself is less relevant and in some ways a relief because at least at that point you've got a definable threat to at least confront - rather than just apathy at the idea of missing persons.

I'm obviously the forum evangelist for this one.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

If you hate it I'll buy you a game of your choice on Steam up to the cost of £14.99.

Don't think you've got much to worry about, I've watched a few trailers and what not and it looks right up my street.  Amazing offer though :lol:

• Upvote 1

I'm a massive lightweight, like, seriously. So I didn't eat anything for dinner and drank some alcohol after work and felt really drunk.

On the 20 minute walk home I listened to the music track that featured on the original PS4 trailer thing over and over - that's how much I like this game.

It was pretty depressing too, because I kept looking up at the point in the music where the constellations come out right at the beginning, but because I live in a city, light pollution just means there's this massive gaping void over my head.

Sucks.

Do you ever get the feeling that you over engage with something for a period? Like, I was thinking about what beauty actually is. Not what I think is beautiful (because that's Philomena Cunk, obviously), but what beauty actually is? It's sort of like a Hound of Tindalos from the Lovecraft mythos.

You look at it.

And it looks at you.

And you look at it.

And it looks at you.

And then you're totally fucked because this thing will never leave you alone, and it's invaded part of you, and set up a colony. And you'll never be rid of it.

I'm not like this because of the game of course, it's because I've got a personality disorder and I'm also drunk off of not much alcohol because I suck.

Anyway, buY NITW, it's awesome.

• Upvote 3

Bought this when it came out earlier in the week. Played about a hour and it just didn't grab me at all. Seems like a narrative game, fine, but it's just walking left and right, left and right, talking, left and right, talking, walking, talking and then a really awful shoved in minigame. Again and again, well 3 times in the hour I played.It's just this for several hours right?

54 minutes ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

I'm a massive lightweight, like, seriously. So I didn't eat anything for dinner and drank some alcohol after work and felt really drunk.

On the 20 minute walk home I listened to the music track that featured on the original PS4 trailer thing over and over - that's how much I like this game.

It was pretty depressing too, because I kept looking up at the point in the music where the constellations come out right at the beginning, but because I live in a city, light pollution just means there's this massive gaping void over my head.

Sucks.

Do you ever get the feeling that you over engage with something for a period? Like, I was thinking about what beauty actually is. Not what I think is beautiful (because that's Philomena Cunk, obviously), but what beauty actually is? It's sort of like a Hound of Tindalos from the Lovecraft mythos.

You look at it.

And it looks at you.

And you look at it.

And it looks at you.

And then you're totally fucked because this thing will never leave you alone, and it's invaded part of you, and set up a colony. And you'll never be rid of it.

I'm not like this because of the game of course, it's because I've got a personality disorder and I'm also drunk off of not much alcohol because I suck.

Anyway, buY NITW, it's awesome.

Thread subtitle justified. :P

36 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Bought this when it came out earlier in the week. Played about a hour and it just didn't grab me at all. Seems like a narrative game, fine, but it's just walking left and right, left and right, talking, left and right, talking, walking, talking and then a really awful shoved in minigame. Again and again, well 3 times in the hour I played.It's just this for several hours right?

Well, most narrative games of this kind tend to involve quite a lot of walking and then quite a lot of talking. It's not the kind of game you play because it's mechanically inventive but because you like good writing and interesting characters. It does settle into a routine - quite consciously so - and I can understand why you might find that boring if you're not engaging with the writing, but that's a very reductive assessment of the game. 

2 hours in and I can already tell I will adore the fuck out of this. The writing is great and its made me laugh multiple times. Looking forward to Crimes with Gregg! (whatever that means)

Edited by VN1X