Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Santa Clarita Diet - Netflix

In Santa Clarita Diet, Joel (Olyphant) and Sheila are husband and wife realtors leading vaguely discontented lives in the L.A. suburb of Santa Clarita with their teenaged daughter Abby (Liv Hewson), until Sheila goes through a dramatic change sending their lives down a road of death and destruction…but in a good way. The “dramatic change” Sheila undergoes in the series opener is, in fact, death. And while they tend to their open houses and teenage daughter, the couple must sate Sheila’s unbridled id and undead hunger, first with raw meat and, eventually, the human kind.

Santa Clarita Diet, also starring Liv Hewson, Skylar Gisondo and featuring guest stars such as Nathan Fillion, will be available globally on Netflix on February 3.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/803909-santa-clarita-diet-trailer-debuts-from-netflix#JSofjZOcXyUGjd6x.99

• Upvote 1

On 17 January 2017 at 21:30, Goose said:

Working my way through this now and enjoying it (halfway through).

Might be a bit of an acquired taste, but it's a very black, quite melodramatic (feels a bit network sit-com at times), gory foul mouthed comedy.

Santa Clarita's a weird one. It definitely takes some deviant turns from sitcom traditions, but it's never what I would describe as 'clever'. The script is always incredibly broad, and there's plenty of daft cringe in there. Though that's probably an intentional contrast with the subject matter.

It's not great, but it's weirdly compulsive. And it's got a million guest stars. And Olyphant. And it's not easy to classify, which is a good thing.

Was indifferent about the first episode, it didn't seem to flow too well.  The series definitely gets better as it goes on with some wince inducing gib and cheesy jokes.

Finished it in one sitting.  No regrets.

I'm into the last episode and I think it's properly hilarious. So many great gags. Drew Barrymore is fantastic and Timothy Olyphant is channeling Nicholas Cage from Raising Arizona. I missed most of the first episode as my wife was watching it whilst I was elsewhere, so can't comment on how it starts out. Episodes 2 onwards are great. 

• Upvote 1

Not much of a season cliffhanger.

Spoiler

Here you go Abby you know the recipe & the book is yours to look after?

Also what about

Spoiler

Loki? I thought they would kill him off

48 minutes ago, Scribblor said:
  Hide contents

They did! Tim and Drew stabbed him in the brain, one through each ear.

Spoiler

Bugger I totally forgot about that bit.

Watched the first 5 episodes of this on Saturday having never heard of it before.

Thought it was great - but without ever being wholly original - I think @schmojo puts it better than me, although I really liked it.  It's oddly compelling but I don't really quite understand how it works so well!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Boothjan said:

It's oddly compelling but I don't really quite understand how it works so well!

It really is tricky to put your finger on it yeah.. I watched the pilot and felt like I hated it, then proceeded to watch the whole series over the next few days. The tone is so bizarre and almost impossible to describe to people who haven't watched it. I also find it difficult to recommend because I think it'll be extremely polarising and, even when I know their tastes pretty well, I honestly couldn't say if any of my friends would enjoy it. Very odd, but yeah, I'm a fan. Barrymore and Olyphant do indeed have great chemistry, and the strange tone ultimately made a couple of the gags hilarious to me when they wouldn't have been in any other context. See, I don't even know that last sentence makes sense. Rarely have I had such difficulty articulating my opinion on something I enjoy!

Finished the series last night - it didn't tail off fortunately and my favourite scene of the whole thing was in the last episode

Spoiler

when they're trying to make the old lady vomit by spinning her around in a chair with a bucket attached to her face :lol:

That really made me giggle.

Really enjoyed it, it's great when you just happen to start watching something with no previous knowledge or expectations of it and it surprises you (in a good way).