The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

I believe so, ran a very quick test of 4D sports driving ok, which means your guide is perfect and my Pi is an idiot.

The only thing I can think of is I would have started from 4.2 but I did a full update before starting anything else and no updates before the remove/reinstall.

On 11/07/2017 at 11:31, Blu3Flame said:

Amiga Guide:

This will get you on the road to a full set of Amiga titles, that load without any disk swapping required.

NOTE: When I say RetroPie Setup, you can either do this by loading it through the Emulation Station menu or by loading it via SSH using the commands below.

cd ~/RetroPie-Setup/
sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

Step 1: Updating your RetroPie and installing the emulator.

Update your RetroPie by selecting 'Update all installed packages' from RetroPie Setup. This can take some time.

Next we need to install the Amiberry emulator. This guide assumes you've got no other Amiga emulators or games installed.

In RetroPie Setup select.

Manage packages > Manage optional packages > Amiberry > Install from binary

Step 2: Setting up the WHDLoad environment.

SSH into your Pi.

Next we need to download and run the "Amiga RetroPie WHDLoad" setup script.

This will download the required BIOS files, set up the directory structure and data, and give you a few games to get you started.

Enter these commands below:

cd ~/RetroPie/retropiemenu/ 
wget http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/HostedProjects/RetroPieAmiga/downloads/Auto-Amiga Install.sh
chmod +x "Auto-Amiga Install.sh"
sudo ./Auto-Amiga\ Install.sh

Now we need to set the correct permissions to allow us to access the newly created directories.

In RetroPie-Setup select:

Configuration / tools > resetromdirs - Reset ownership/permissions

You can reboot your Pi at this stage if you like, and you should notice a few Amiga games already populating Emulation Station.

Step 3: Adding games.

You'll notice at this stage there should be two new directories in your network roms folder, 'amiga' and 'amiga-data'. We'll start by adding game data to the 'amiga-data' folder.

You'll need to find this in a specific format, luckily the Amiga RetroPie project has it to hand.

Visit their website and download the WHDLoad ECS 'Game Data': ultimateamiga.co.uk/HostedProjects/RetroPieAmiga

Once you've got that extract the ECS data to the 'Games_WHDLoad' folder inside your new 'amiga-data' folder.

The final step is to download the WHDLoad ECS 'Config Files' and add those to the 'amiga' folder in your rom directory.

Now you can either use the config files available on their website or my tweaked versions. 

My versions linked directly here: https://mega.nz/#!92RkVRDY!ImbLZNRasrUnI_tsFrsGv_cH4QWKtQMEBfq4zGv7uIo

Mine will allow for full speed smooth emulation on a Pi3, with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the exit emulator button set as 'button 6' which is the L button on my 8bitdo SFC30 and L trigger on my 360 pad.

[NOTE: You may need to at this stage reset the rom permissions again. I did it out of habit, so I'm not sure what happens if you don't.]

[NOTE: For perfect smooth scrolling set Amiberry to run at 1080p/50hz rom from the emulator's runcommand bootmenu.]

[NOTE: When a game loads for the first time you'll see it do some auto configuring, the game will boot shortly after. The next time you load the game it will skip this step.]

[NOTE: You may notice that some games are cropped slightly at the bottom, if this is the case and you have a keyboard, simply press F12 during the game to bring up the emulator UI and quickly adjust the display height before resuming.]

You're done. Reboot your Pi and check the Amiga entry.

Definitely will give this a go when I get home. Been struggling with this. 

My Pi 3 kit arrived yesterday & thanks to the guidance in this thread, assembling & configuring it was a breeze & I now have Retropie up & running on it.

I've tried out the NES & SNES emulation & everything is perfect.  I could just leave it at that, but I've tried tinkering further & have run into a couple of issues:

1. After first recognising a USB Keyboard the Pi now doesn't recognise that same keyboard at all.  Does it need to be connected when the Pi first boots up?

2. Despite following the instructions to tell the Emulators not to change the buttons between Menus, I'm still having trouble with which button is cancel & which one is confirm changing depending on what part of the system I'm in.  It's possible that its my own fault for not having set it up right though, so I'll give that another crack later.

3. Related to the keyboard issue, is networking through a router really the best way of transferring files to the Pi?  Perhaps I should use the USB or Ethernet methods instead.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it. :)

Proper pleased with myself today. Wanted an overlay for NeoGeo Pocket Color and there isn't any in the RP Video manager by default. 

So I wrote both the needed config files and added the png and got it working!

IMG_0082.thumb.jpg.e433d4ff3e4e849e9fcdaeffe0ee414a.jpg

Admittedly all the files are in the same folder, rather than pointing to the proper structure, byt kept getting Permission Denied when trying to upload to /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p/

Nice work.

I'm not sure how you'd get elevated permissions with the SFTP method you're using, but if you can get the files onto your Pi into a writable directory you can then move them into place from the terminal on the Pi (select quit emulation station from the menu), or via SSH.

The way to do this is with:

sudo mv <file> <destination>

3 hours ago, Jarik said:

My Pi 3 kit arrived yesterday & thanks to the guidance in this thread, assembling & configuring it was a breeze & I now have Retropie up & running on it.

I've tried out the NES & SNES emulation & everything is perfect.  I could just leave it at that, but I've tried tinkering further & have run into a couple of issues:

1. After first recognising a USB Keyboard the Pi now doesn't recognise that same keyboard at all.  Does it need to be connected when the Pi first boots up?

2. Despite following the instructions to tell the Emulators not to change the buttons between Menus, I'm still having trouble with which button is cancel & which one is confirm changing depending on what part of the system I'm in.  It's possible that its my own fault for not having set it up right though, so I'll give that another crack later.

3. Related to the keyboard issue, is networking through a router really the best way of transferring files to the Pi?  Perhaps I should use the USB or Ethernet methods instead.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it. :)

1. It shouldn't matter, but I've found a few cases where things need to be plugged in first.

2. If you set the controllers up to conform to the configuration on the RetroPie wiki and don't fiddle with any other settings, then everything should be uniform throughout. Although you'll have to remember that the on screen menus conform to the (for example: B) button you set up, and not necessarily what is physically labelled on your controller.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

3. The three methods of transferring files are listed here:

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms 

42 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Nice work.

I'm not sure how you'd get elevated permissions with the SFTP method you're using, but if you can get the files onto your Pi into a writable directory you can then move them into place from the terminal on the Pi (select quit emulation station from the menu), or via SSH.

The way to do this is with:

sudo mv <file> <destination>

It would mean rewriting some of each file. But could be some good lessons for me. 

17 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

1. It shouldn't matter, but I've found a few cases where things need to be plugged in first.

2. If you set the controllers up to conform to the configuration on the RetroPie wiki and don't fiddle with any other settings, then everything should be uniform throughout. Although you'll have to remember that the on screen menus conform to the (for example: B) button you set up, and not necessarily what is physically labelled on your controller.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

3. The three methods of transferring files are listed here:

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms 

Having the Keyboard plugged in before I boot the Pi seems to have fixed the Keyboard issue, & just thinking of the 360 Pad I was using for setup as a Nintendo Pad helped me get my head around the B/A situation.  With those things sorted I was able to complete the setup, transfer the files into the Pi & I now have a lovely little Virtual Console box under my TV. ^_^

Like I said, I've restricted myself to NES, SNES & GBA for now, but in future i'll be sure to look into it what else this wonderful little Computer can do.

The joy of plugging in my VLX stick and it being immediately recognised and working perfectly after the rigmarole on Win/Mame brings a silly grin everytime.

Now I just need to get the 8BitDo FC30 working...any tips please the perma disconnecting is frustrating as hell.

??

#allthegearnoidea

5 minutes ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Now I just need to get the 8BitDo FC30 working...any tips please the perma disconnecting is frustrating as hell.

There's a guide on the Retropie site.

Guys, i for the life of me cannot get my retro pie to boot into 60hz mode....these are the settings i have changed in the boot config :

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

Anyone got any ideas as to why it would keep booting into 50hz mode?

37 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Are there any resources out there for was to improve performance of some games in MAME?

I know sound can be an issue but things like Puzzle Bobble 3 and 4 feel laggy too. 

Those particular games don't run great in FBA or in any versions of MAME I've tried. 

My top tip is to get the PSX versions. They run perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Those particular games don't run great in FBA or in any versions of MAME I've tried. 

My top tip is to get the PSX versions. They run perfectly.

Were they the same as the arcade versions? Memory is hazy. 

I will check it out regardless because one cannot have too many versions of Puzzle Bobble 

55 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Tried it on a different monitor?

No just my LCD tv, i can force each emulator into 60hz by pressing A when they start, that works fine but i just cannot get the menu and the pi to boot straight into 60hz.

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Awesome, just seen they are down as:

Bust-A-Move 2

Bust-A-Move '99

Bust-A-Move 4

I was looking for Puzzle Bobble.

Try the NeoGeo versions. Arcade, and they run perfectly on my Pi3.

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I thought NeoGeo ran through MAME. Is it a separate thing then?

They appearing under a separate heading on my RetroPie, and I'm not sure which emu they use. Final Burn maybe? But I remember going through all the versions of Puzzle Bobble and finding the ones under Arcade had performance problems, while the ones under NeoGeo ran fine.

ETA: Looks like there was two versions released - a Taito B System version and a NeoGeo version. Might explain the difference.

17 minutes ago, churchhawk said:

No just my LCD tv, i can force each emulator into 60hz by pressing A when they start, that works fine but i just cannot get the menu and the pi to boot straight into 60hz.

If you throw up your config.txt on pastebin I'll check it out when I have a chance.