Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Yeah, good shout, that was also my fall back but I’m obsessive about optimising space so I’d prefer to have a single device that does several platforms.

I’ve done a bit of googling and it says that performance can be improved with overclocking, heat sinks and modifications to graphics settings. That will do nicely for me!

26 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Yeah, good shout, that was also my fall back but I’m obsessive about optimising space so I’d prefer to have a single device that does several platforms.

I’ve done a bit of googling and it says that performance can be improved with overclocking, heat sinks and modifications to graphics settings. That will do nicely for me!

Its great, apart from the n64. Even when overclocked 

I have a Rasp Pi 3, done 2 different mini SD card setups, one for a retro machine and the other for Amibian. They all work fine and everything's set up but... when I turn the Pi on they never boot the first time. I have to remove the USB plug and slot it back in which I know is a big no no but always seems to work after. Anyone any idea what it could be? Pretty sure it's not the cards and the TV is working fine. I know the Pi isn't booting beyond the red/green LED flashing because the USB keyboard doesn't light up. When I boot to either SD card the Caps lock works so I can tell.

I’ve done a fair bit of reading up on this now and it seems that, as good as the Pi is, the future of the hardware isn’t clear as they are focussing on an OS instead. Therefore, more support may gravitate towards competitor devices in time. 

I’ve came across an alternative in the Asus Tinker Board, which for roughly the same cost, delivers roughly twice the power by default. However, support isn’t anywhere near as robust as Pi but I think is growing. Still to investigate exactly what it can and can’t do but even with the Linux OS you can boot emulators, without a fancy front end, though I’m researching things in place of this too. 

If I wasn’t bothered about the N64, anything after that is a bonus, I’d have picked a Pi up already. There are some excellent sources of information and links posted in this thread but, as with my media setup (see the Sonos thread), I prefer to go for bespoke setups that cater exactly to my needs. In this case; a portable TV device that plays everything up to the N64 sufficently, for around £50 is perfect. Authenticity, as was suggested earlier, is not on my radar. I prefer a minimum number of devices that deliver maximum capability to a large 1080p screen. 

Based on that, I’ve currently shortlisted the following devices for testing/purchase :

- Steam Link (Free - requires Desktop PC to be running)

- Android Box (Free)

- Asus Tinker Board (~£50)

- Overclocked Raspberry Pi 3 (~£50)

- Hacked N64 mini (TBA ~£70+)

- Wait for next generation of hardware (2019?)

- Stick to Desktop PC (Free - not portable/poor multiplayer)

• Upvote 1

Possibly a dumb question, but I've been itching to play the old PC game, Grand Prix World

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_World

I previously downloaded a PC Version but can't get it to work on Windows 10 as it's so old.

Can I run PC games on Retropie? If so, how...and where can I find a ROM for this game? Have had a cursory google but come up short.

34 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Possibly a dumb question, but I've been itching to play the old PC game, Grand Prix World

I previously downloaded a PC Version but can't get it to work on Windows 10 as it's so old.

Can I run PC games on Retropie? If so, how...and where can I find a ROM for this game? Have had a cursory google but come up short.

Try DosBox:

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Try DosBox:

Yeah, I tried that but it still won't run, something to do with Windows 10 having too many colours. I am not at all tech knowledgeable so this is where I was stumped and gave up.

Just now, Papaya Dance said:

Yeah, I tried that but it still won't run, something to do with Windows 10 having too many colours. I am not at all tech knowledgeable so this is where I was stumped and gave up.

Follow this until 35 seconds, the bit you want to alter is color depth. Drop it a bit lower if you can :

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Follow this until 35 seconds, the bit you want to alter is color depth. Drop it a bit lower if you can :

32 bit is the only option. It doesn't matter, wondered if there was a quick and easy way to get it on retropie but it would appear not.

• Empathy 1

9 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Accordin to that Wikipedia article that game is still being developed (fan or otherwise) to this day - that says to me there must be a windows 10 patch out there somewhere. Just like there is for the PC Bladerunner game.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:14, parrapatheslapper said:

anyone looking for a controller..

From Hot Deals - put the promo code in followed by the 150 points code to bring it down to £12.25

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/8bitdo-sf30-wireless-gamepad-bluetooth-controller-with-classic-joystick-for-ioswindowsandroidswitch-etc-1454-delivered-dresslily-2878458

"with Classic Joystick" :rolleyes: