Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

21 minutes ago, Inept Pig said:

Hurrah! I am a bitter old cynic and will look forward to getting the kit for this for Christmas.

Now just to find a decent joystick...

8 bit do

Thanks - I saw those, thought they were great, but was going to look around and see if there were similar joysticks (as opposed to pads) that exist.

Most of my retro gaming was done on a variety of joysticks; the pinnacle of which was the Zipstick Pro (however, that would lack sufficient buttons to emulate a lot of games outside of Amiga/Amstrad territory) - I recall that SEGA did an stick for the Mega Drive that combined all the buttons and a stick (instead of pad), true, it was a bit clunky, but to have the option would be nice - imagine that there's going to be something similar for anyone playing older fighting games? Or does everyone just use pads?

7 minutes ago, Inept Pig said:

Thanks - I saw those, thought they were great, but was going to look around and see if there were similar joysticks (as opposed to pads) that exist.

Most of my retro gaming was done on a variety of joysticks; the pinnacle of which was the Zipstick Pro (however, that would lack sufficient buttons to emulate a lot of games outside of Amiga/Amstrad territory) - I recall that SEGA did an stick for the Mega Drive that combined all the buttons and a stick (instead of pad), true, it was a bit clunky, but to have the option would be nice - imagine that there's going to be something similar for anyone playing older fighting games? Or does everyone just use pads?

Use a pad, they are best all round 

Basically any USB controller will work (although as noted above, you may need to install Xbox drivers).

If you really want to go back to the 8 bit days you could use a USB Competition Pro:

s-l1600_1.thumb.jpg.5fe9ba851bc3dfb389052ba393e488ea.jpg

although apparently they're a bit dear now. Here's one on eBay for a whopping £65!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Speedlink-USB-Competition-Pro-Retro-Joystick-Blue-Silver/332456313242

I use a 360 arcade stick (a Mad Catz Street Fighter one, the standard edition not the fancy expensive one) with my Retropie box with no problems.

On 11/25/2017 at 13:06, Inept Pig said:

I have been tempted buy this as a cheap and cheerful way to play retro games, but... it's going to look rubbish on a big screen isn't it? What was once a technical marvel on the PS on my small CRT will not translate well to a much larger screen... 

However, that said, how well does it cope with couch co-op games? Is it fine with multiple controllers? Could I play older versions of Mario Kart without much issue? 

I am also slightly concerned that I'll go through the effort of setting it all up and then just add it to the things gathering dust under my TV (such as SteamLink)

Sorry if this has been covered in the numerous pages previously... 

Also, if you're so inclined and still have an old CRT kicking out, you can get a mod for your Pi 3 to output 240p RGB over SCART to your CRT for maximum authenticity. 

http://retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html

• Upvote 1

I have been tempted buy this as a cheap and cheerful way to play retro games, but... it's going to look rubbish on a big screen isn't it? What was once a technical marvel on the PS on my small CRT will not translate well to a much larger screen... 

However, that said, how well does it cope with couch co-op games? Is it fine with multiple controllers? Could I play older versions of Mario Kart without much issue? 

I am also slightly concerned that I'll go through the effort of setting it all up and then just add it to the things gathering dust under my TV (such as SteamLink)

Also, if you're so inclined and still have an old CRT kicking out, you can get a mod for your Pi 3 to output 240p RGB over SCART to your CRT for maximum authenticity. 

Thanks again - I actually had one of those Competition Pros! Although for the life of me I do not know where it ended up.

Makes sense to stick with the 360 pads as I already have them, and then maybe look into getting something like the arcade stick if I actually use the retropie more than once a year... Are the Mayflash sticks any good?

Been having a play with a few pre built images.

One is called Pi Piggies or something. Anyway, it has some interesting filters (if that’s the way to describe it) for Burgertime. Yes, those scratches / wear marks are part of it! 

6E461CFC-41DC-4B17-9CD5-A14B303B98E3.jpeg

70437369-6657-4C1B-ABCF-C245E8723D32.jpeg

Should have one of these arriving at some point today. Getting all the stuff downloaded first so I'm ready to go when it gets here. Have got the Retropie software from their website and the gizmos to mount it onto the raspberry, just worried I've not done the right thing with the ROMs. I followed the advice in OP and currently downloading the big old file from archive.com, but it's 36gb and due to take 1-2 days to download...apologies for being rather tech illiterate but is this right and I've just got a shit internet connection, or am I trying to download the wrong file?

Aye, I've downloaded a few individual for now, will wait 48 hours for the big one to download as the idea of having hundreds of games on there to discover is most appealing. Saying that, Amazon Prime are lying bastards and it hasn't arrived today anyway so I'll be waiting anyway!

Help! Neither of my 8Bitdo FC30’s will connect via Bluetooth anymore. Wired they’re fine, but wireless set up won’t work, just get constant blue flashing lights on the pads. One time I got solid blue to indicate a pad was connected via Bt but still didn’t work without the wire plugged in.

At a bit of a loss to understand why or if I need to reboot / reload something. Even went through every button combo on the pad’s manual to no avail. If anyone has an idiot proof way to connect, I’m all ears :)

I’ve ‘removed’ them in the RetroPie settings menu and tried repairing - they get found but then won’t work without the USB connection.

My 8bitdo FC30 need to be turned on using START + R - and then paired through the retropie setup menu. Once done every time I turn them on I need to use START + R or they don't connect.

Also don't forget to add the udev rule (in bluetooth menu) and also make sure the firmware hack is off. (Your firmware on the pads is up to date yeah?)

I'm in the process of backing up my Pi Image, which is basically the Pi Piggies 128gb image with added Amiga and Atari 800XL. I've loved revisiting all these old games and it really is the best under the tv emulation solution.

• Upvote 2

I've set up the basics of this following the first post and with a few selected games and all seems to be going quite well - so thanks for putting this together! 

When it comes to emulating the Amiga is there a best way? Or is it easier to stick with the default emulators? Also when emulating things like the Amiga, Amstrad, Spectrum - is it best to use a USB keyboard rather than joystick/pad? or depends on the game? 

1 hour ago, Inept Pig said:

I've set up the basics of this following the first post and with a few selected games and all seems to be going quite well - so thanks for putting this together! 

When it comes to emulating the Amiga is there a best way? Or is it easier to stick with the default emulators? Also when emulating things like the Amiga, Amstrad, Spectrum - is it best to use a USB keyboard rather than joystick/pad? or depends on the game? 

Its really difficult to set up without a keyboard as I recall 

I'm looking at investing in one of these but before I do, would anyone being able to tell a few things please?

- How do N64, PS1, PSP and DS games perform?

- Is there scope to play Gamecube, PS2 or Wii games? (Is it possible outside of PC?)

- Is it straightforward to modify Rey/Nacho image? (custom themes, roms etc)

I've got a fair bit of experience with RetroArch but I'm just curious to know how the gameplay and personalised experience will translate to a lower powered device (from a PC).

Cheers in advance!

7 hours ago, smithstock said:

I'm looking at investing in one of these but before I do, would anyone being able to tell a few things please?

- How do N64, PS1, PSP and DS games perform?

- Is there scope to play Gamecube, PS2 or Wii games? (Is it possible outside of PC?)

- Is it straightforward to modify Rey/Nacho image? (custom themes, roms etc)

I've got a fair bit of experience with RetroArch but I'm just curious to know how the gameplay and personalised experience will translate to a lower powered device (from a PC).

Cheers in advance!

On a pi 3,

n64 is mostly unplayable.

ps1 is fine with some games, like sotn, but slows down with more taxing games

psp is slow

ds I've never tried

everything else works very well.

gamecube, ps2 and will will never work on a pi 3

yes it's possible outside of the PC, my Wii emulates Wii and gMecube perfectly!

yes you can modify pre built images 

• Upvote 1

The above is basically correct.

I'll add that DS games either run perfectly or not at all. The emulator was leaked in beta state and added to Retropie then the developer never updated it.

I play a lot of Tetris DS and Space Invaders Extreme 2 on mine.

• Upvote 1

Cheers for the responses folks. Are there any alternatives outside of the Pi 3 to play N64 games and such then?

Obviously a mini PC could be one, but are there any more powerful budget devices that would do the trick? (I.e. Android boxes?). 

2 hours ago, smithstock said:

Cheers for the responses folks. Are there any alternatives outside of the Pi 3 to play N64 games and such then?

Obviously a mini PC could be one, but are there any more powerful budget devices that would do the trick? (I.e. Android boxes?). 

An N64?

Not to be all captain contrarian, but there's a bit more nuance to the feel of the analog stick and the N64's unique controller that you just can't get via emulation methods.  

I've tried to play the like of Goldeneye on an emulator and instantly thought it felt "dated and unplayable" by today's standards which isn't correct at all. 

Playing the game on actual hardware via RGB through something like the OSSC and all the muscle memory comes back. It plays and looks totally right.