Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

I know the Retropie is covered in other threads, but I still think it is still deserving of a thread of its own so here goes.  However, due to only having a Pi starter kit for just over a week, and in part because of a lack of time and a bit of laziness when I am free, I haven't managed to write up one of those forum standard, really helpful opening posts with a guide, tips, handy links, etc.  However, swooping in to save the day is @Mr. Gerbik who has does some excellent work and thrown together a shit-ton of useful information below in post nine below.  :hat:

Anyway, what display settings would people recommend for SNES, NES, MD, GBA, Neo-Geo, and MAME games on my Samsung UE50JU6800?

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 2

My recommendations are to get rid of all extra video processing, use 1x windows etc for the super sharp look.

and get rid of the blur from the Neo geo emulator too

• Upvote 1

When I installed my RetroPie I just quickly fumbled through. I will post about the issues I encountered when I have the time  (finding the overscan option to get rid of the black borders for example) and my own settings so that smarter forumites can point out all the mistakes.

I'll also include links and tutorials and stuff that you can copy paste to the op. 

Great idea for a thread btw :) RetroPie deserves it, it's awesome and yet so tiny. Love it :wub:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'll also include links and tutorials and stuff that you can copy paste to the op. 

Great idea for a thread btw :) RetroPie deserves it, it's awesome and yet so tiny. Love it :wub:

Excellent, that is exactly what the opening post needed, but with having one for less than a week I'm still quite uninformed about it all!  Cheers.

I'd be interested to hear which splash screens and ES themes people are using too.  I hate massive lists of games that I'll never play to scroll through, but I'm tempted to pick up a 128gb card just to try Rey's Attract Mode image.  It sounds amazing.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

DC emulator works just fine on a Pi3 by the way ;)

Really? Well, then it's back in the list! Thanks for that. It's still WIP, you can keep refreshing and follow along with all the changes if you want :)

On 2/4/2017 at 19:21, Stejay said:

I only received my PI 3 starter kit last week and I am still tinkering with it.  What display settings would people recommend for SNES, NES, MD, GBA, Neo-Geo, and MAME games on my Samsung UE50JU6800?

If you have a 1080p TV then to retain 1:1 pixel scaling for the best image quality there are two options.

4x scaling - This will be a minimally bordered image for systems on a 1080p TV, but it's as big as you can get without losing any picture.

5x scaling - This will fill the whole vertical frame of your TV but it will chop off some of the image. Luckily the portion of the image that gets cut off is considered part of the overscan area, so most games that consider the safe zone will have been built around the assumption that that portion of the image may be missing (ie. not sticking UI elements or important things there).

With those 1:1 scaling options you'll be able to use shaders much easier without strange artefacts. The best CRT shader for the Pi is a specially built one called CRT-Pi (which is built into Retroarch/Retropie), which maintains full speed at 1080p.

Examples of the shader (view at full size):

9gFb.png

8gFb.png

• Upvote 3

Worth mentioning too that if you use an Xbox 360 pad, either wired or wireless, then you should navigate to the Retropie Setup menu and install the drivers for it. Otherwise it won't function correctly with everything.

3 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Worth mentioning too that if you use an Xbox 360 pad, either wired or wireless, then you should navigate to the Retropie Setup menu and install the drivers for it. Otherwise it won't function correctly with everything.

I had no idea - and also never encountered any issues tbh. Not yet anyway. I'll add it to the post!

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I had no idea - and also never encountered any issues tbh. Not yet anyway. I'll add it to the post!

I think the only real issue (with a wired pad, anyway) is some emulators not seeing the right analogue stick as analogue, and possibly the triggers not being analogue either. The drivers fix that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, deKay said:

I think the only real issue (with a wired pad, anyway) is some emulators not seeing the right analogue stick as analogue, and possibly the triggers not being analogue either. The drivers fix that.

Cheers! Will have to fix that in my own RetroPie asap.

Hey @Stejay! The post is finished, you can copy it to your opening post! Feel free to correct any mistakes and add whatever you see fit. Or simply change everything :)

I found without them the lights in the middle of my pad spun forever, and I had difficulty configuring some buttons too.

Edit: This was with a wireless pad and the official USB adapter.

• Upvote 1