Destiny: Beyond DeeJ

When have Bungie ever actually finished a storyline? It's all just loose ends. The return of the Stranger in this looks like this is just going back to the 'don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain' from D1. I give up in trying to understand it all to be honest and just enjoy shooting all the baddies with my gun.

11 minutes ago, PK said:

I thought the whole point of the campaign would be the finale of the pyramids stuff? Are they stretching that storyline out further?

At least 2 more years - they’ve named the next two expansions - closure isn’t coming soon!

image.thumb.png.41624ac29407936c5a9755ac36a3d19c.png

They'll never close it off, it's the driver for the whole series. Destiny doesn't really have a story, which you play through and finish - it's more like an RPG setting, where the overriding backstory is just there to set up adventures within that world. It's not really designed to conclude with the Darkness being defeated, in the same way that (say) Chaos in the Warhammer RPGs will never be defeated, or the forces of evil will never be defeated in the Forgotten Realms - the idea is to create little hooks to justify the players doing whatever it is they're doing.

Maybe, but I get the impression that the tentatively titled 'Lightfall' expansion is going to provide a conclusion of some sorts to the whole Traveller/Darkness cycle. I can foresee some dramatic finale there before some sort of universe reboot and the emergence of a new uber-threat that provides a convenient excuse for Bungie to press a massive reset button, sunset absolutely everything and come out with a de facto next-gen only Destiny 3, even though it won't be called that.

Or maybe in 5 year's time we'll still be using Whisper and Riskrunner to grind out bounties fighting Fallen and Vex... We can but dream.

Given that they’ve just come up with the amazing idea of slowly selling people the areas from D1, after spending several years doing the same with the guns, I fully expect them to start filling expansions with D1 crucible maps pretty soon.

The Vault is crazy. It’s so weird that I paid them for D2 and the first season pass but now I can’t play the red war or curse of Osiris or whatever the other one was. I’ve had my money’s worth certainly, but then just removing that stuff and refusing to let anyone play it is insane. 

It's not ideal, but they can't just keep making the game bigger forever. It must be an absolute nightmare to test and QA the game given the sheer number of locations and activities, not to mention expensive. Something's got to give at some point. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

The Vault is crazy. It’s so weird that I paid them for D2 and the first season pass but now I can’t play the red war or curse of Osiris or whatever the other one was. I’ve had my money’s worth certainly, but then just removing that stuff and refusing to let anyone play it is insane. 

It's free now and you've had a fair old while to get through it. It's definitely a shame because The Red War in particular was really great, but if it frees up space for new content (or recycled old content...) I'm alright with it. 

8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

How do they cope with this in other games. I.e. is the original content from WoW still available or is it all gone now?

This is what I was wondering. How big is ESO now? Or FFXIV? Do they remove content regularly? 

4 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It's free now and you've had a fair old while to get through it. It's definitely a shame because The Red War in particular was really great, but if it frees up space for new content (or recycled old content...) I'm alright with it. 

Yeah as I said, I got my money’s worth, it’s just weird that I played £60 for a game and less than five years later I’m not allowed to play it anymore. 

31 minutes ago, Broker said:

This is what I was wondering. How big is ESO now? Or FFXIV? Do they remove content regularly? 

Yeah as I said, I got my money’s worth, it’s just weird that I played £60 for a game and less than five years later I’m not allowed to play it anymore. 

True but as has been pointed out they also made a game we both paid £60 a few years ago free a year ago so nothing new in the feeling robbed stakes

(I don't feel robbed I've played more D1/D2 than any other game ever - but just saying I guess)

I do wonder how they will manage transitioning new FTP players without any campaign content post vaulting - maybe Forsaken and Shadowkeep will go free I suppose

Jesus Christ this game is clunky for a newcomer. Giving it another shot as it’s on game pass.  Think I tried the first game and never really understood what the deck was going on.  I suspect I’m going to end up the same this time too. 

9 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

When have Bungie ever actually finished a storyline? It's all just loose ends. The return of the Stranger in this looks like this is just going back to the 'don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain' from D1. I give up in trying to understand it all to be honest and just enjoy shooting all the baddies with my gun.

I still think their end goal is just going to end up being recycling the original Destiny 1 story that was scrapped and rebooted e.g Uldren being one of the earth vendors, Rasputin being put into an Exo body, the the Traveller ending up being evil etc.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

How do they cope with this in other games. I.e. is the original content from WoW still available or is it all gone now?

I would hazard a guess that World of Warcraft is a lot more profitable than Destiny. I mean, I think Destiny is popular, but probably not as popular as it was. The fact that they’re planning stuff out for years implies they aren’t planning on shutting it down, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to reduce running costs, especially now that they’re self-publishing. 

13 hours ago, Broker said:

FF14 is a bit of an outlier because Square basically went "actually, this is shit, isn't it?", closed the game and said the baddies won (I think?) and then relaunched a long time later as FF14: A Realm Reborn after a story time-jump. So, you can't play the original FF14 at all as it shipped anymore.

13 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Jesus Christ this game is clunky for a newcomer. Giving it another shot as it’s on game pass.  Think I tried the first game and never really understood what the deck was going on.  I suspect I’m going to end up the same this time too. 

Play through the campaigns to get a feel for the combat and the enemy types to start. I have done this and have enjoyed playing them as well (just started Forsaken). You have until Nov 10 to play through:

• Red War

• Curse of Osiris

• Warmind

Out of the three I enjoyed Red War and Warmind, found Osiris to be a little to repetitive with fighting waves and waves of the Vex all the time.

3 hours ago, tnman said:

FF14 is a bit of an outlier because Square basically went "actually, this is shit, isn't it?", closed the game and said the baddies won (I think?) and then relaunched a long time later as FF14: A Realm Reborn after a story time-jump. So, you can't play the original FF14 at all as it shipped anymore.

I was going to mention that, but as I don't play XIV myself I might not know what I'm on about :D I understand that they essentially nuked what was the old world and built said nuking into the story with an elaborate sequence of everything going to shit - 

Spoiler

Somehow I don't think the in-game justification of Destiny's content vault will be as cool. :P 

I guess the FFXIV situation is slightly different as it's subscription based, rather than the definitely not a subscription regular paid expansion model of Destiny 2. SE also didn't charge for subscriptions at all in the game's original guise, instead constantly extending the free period while they tried to improve the game.

Besides, I don't think anyone is shedding any tears about not being able to play the rubbish version any more.

Surprisingly, I finished the triumphs for the cache opening this evening and got the last of the "wrapped" cosmetic items. My original plan was to complete the forest repeatedly, amass a bunch of currency and then spend it all on a bazillion crappy loot boxes during the last day to maximise my disappointment :P but I didn't actually think I'd get the triumphs, so it's all gone towards three expensive cosmetics instead...

Yeah I've got one more to do for the ship. This season's title is tantalisingly within grasp but for some reason it think I've done one less location for the eyes than I have so now I have to go back round them all except titan and see which I've "missed". Knowing me it'll be just enough on each location to need to go through the guide again.

I also need the crysta version of the weekly mission and oh dear fucking god there's a reason I've only done that twice. 

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I've got one more to do for the ship. This season's title is tantalisingly within grasp [...]

I also need the crysta version of the weekly mission and oh dear fucking god there's a reason I've only done that twice. 

You're outta luck sorry moose, it's Nokris only from now on for the weekly mission.

1 hour ago, tnman said:

You're outta luck sorry moose, it's Nokris only from now on for the weekly 

You can just stay in the mission and listen to all the previous dialogue to get the triumphs I think. That's why there's such a long countdown

58 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

You can just stay in the mission and listen to all the previous dialogue to get the triumphs I think. That's why there's such a long countdown

That's the lore, not the triumph for the variants of the weekly mission.

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny: Beyond DeeJ