Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop

Gorf King

There's so few champions that even if you are the only one with mods it doesn't matter. Plus heavy ammo is so plentiful from chest and drops they get melted.

1 hour ago, K said:

There are some odd choices in Override. Like, when you access the Vex network, you have to negotiate a platforming section - but the very first upgrade you get to your glove allows you to bypass that bit completely by opening up some new, static, platforms. It renders it completely trivial, and it's something you can unlock after your first go.

It's perhaps oddly-placed being available after your first go, but the real value of the upgrade is making those platforms available in Expunge rather than Override, as the speed with which you do that activity is important (I expect the pinnacle challenges might be tied to it; this week's seasonal certainly is) and they make some of the jumps far less risky. I suppose the fact that they trivialise Override is just Bungie thinking that's fairly trivial anyway but they want you to have learnt the value of these perks and activated them before Expunge came out. Same could be said of the perk that makes lasers/laser walls do less damage: trivialises Override but could be a vital run-saver in Expunge if you're up against the clock and you hear Laser Trevor approaching from behind.

Tell you what trivialises Expunge and makes the above moot anyway: people sword-flying right across the map and not even bothering with the platforms at all. But at least Expunge makes you work a little bit. Override is just one of those things you basically can't fail, unless you're unable to complete, say, a strike. A bit like most of Destiny really.

2 hours ago, K said:

There are some odd choices in Override. Like, when you access the Vex network, you have to negotiate a platforming section - but the very first upgrade you get to your glove allows you to bypass that bit completely by opening up some new, static, platforms. It renders it completely trivial, and it's something you can unlock after your first go. The same goes for the keycodes you can store. In Battlegrounds, there was some benefit to storing up charges as it let you save up for higher quality rewards, but I'm not really sure what the point of storing the keycodes is - you get so much of the currency you need to buy them that I've never run short.

For all that it's fun, but it feels like there are a lot of different mechanics for such a short activity. It feels very busy, especially given that the Gambit-lite bit at the start takes place in such a cramped environment. I guess its a reaction to the simplicity of Battlegrounds, but I quite liked the no-nonsense, all-combat approach there.

Odd take. The jumping bits are much maligned in the casual crowd, so that being an early unlock will help allay that. That, and as already said it's more helpful for Expunge (speedruns) than Override. But then this mechanic being simplified to the point of being ignored, combined with not always having to pay attention to the Champion type, but there then being too many mechanics in the activity is... bad for you?

Storing the key codes is essential. Imagine how boring and frustrating it would be to run the same ritual activity over and over just to get one go at the new thing. It's the first tier 3 unlock I went for. The more ether and codes I can store, the better.

Your post reads like you're starting to tire of the game outside of the pinnacle PvE activities. Seasonal activities, judging by design by now, are intended to keep things interesting while funnelling the more casual crowd into trying out the higher-end stuff to re-enforce the gameplay loop. If you want mechanics, loadout mods and Champions to matter, you want the Grandmaster Nightfalls and Raids.

I've been using Cryothesia quite a lot in this to unlock the catalyst, and I'm continually surprised by how good it is in Crucible. It feels like it should be firmly in chocolate teapot territory and the exotic perk is pretty useless, but the gun itself is weirdly effective. It absolutely rips through people in close/medium range, as each shot hits pretty hard, you can fire very quickly, and its extremely accurate. It feels like it sits in the same sort of role you'd pick out for an SMG or a hand cannon, but the precision and fire rate set it apart from either. It's pretty impressive, given that it doesn't feel particularly empowering normally.

Also - managed to get a Dead Man's Tale with Fourth Time's the Charm as a perk. This must be one of the most satisfying guns Bungie have ever made. If you nail every precision shot, it feels like the magazine never empties.

2 hours ago, K said:

Also - managed to get a Dead Man's Tale with Fourth Time's the Charm as a perk. This must be one of the most satisfying guns Bungie have ever made. If you nail every precision shot, it feels like the magazine never empties.

A Bungie dev said on a podcast this week that DMT is getting a nerf later this season, with a TWAB to explain what and why. I guess we could all see that coming, sadly.

48 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

A Bungie dev said on a podcast this week that DMT is getting a nerf later this season, with a TWAB to explain what and why. I guess we could all see that coming, sadly.

That's annoying. It's fun, but it's hardly OP - it's not like it's got an AOE effect or a tracking shot or does damage over time, or anything. I can understand them nerfing it if scout rifles as a whole got a buff, as then it would be absolutely ridiculous, but as it is it feels powerful rather than preposterous.

I would be interested to see their rationale. I guess the issue might be that it's a genuine all-purpose weapon - with perks like 4TTC, outlaw or triple tap (or even without), you can rinse through red-bar enemies, and also wreck yellow-bar enemies, at range and close-up. If you've got a decent roll and the catalyst, then there aren't many situations where you would need anything else. Actually, I've convinced myself - DMT is killing Destiny. It must go. They should nerf it into the planetary mantle, and ban anyone who uses it. Nerf everything except for single-shot grenade launchers and trace rifles, and replace all perks with slideshot. 

Splicer is the first title I can see myself getting. All the others require some fuckery that I can't be arsed with so it's nice to have something to aim for as I find the weekly challenges that just give you Brightdust a bit pointless after a bit.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Splicer is the first title I can see myself getting. All the others require some fuckery that I can't be arsed with so it's nice to have something to aim for as I find the weekly challenges that just give you Brightdust a bit pointless after a bit.

It’s funny that you mention titles - not only do I see Splicer being possible (the gauntlet upgrades seem like the biggest hurdle) but I’m super-close to last season’s Chosen title as well. Right now I think that my only remaining triumph for that is the secret one associated with Presage?

I often start a season by looking at how “do-able” the title triumphs are, but I never persist with them. It would be nice to finally secure a title…

57 minutes ago, K said:

That's annoying. It's fun, but it's hardly OP - it's not like it's got an AOE effect or a tracking shot or does damage over time, or anything. I can understand them nerfing it if scout rifles as a whole got a buff, as then it would be absolutely ridiculous, but as it is it feels powerful rather than preposterous.

I would be interested to see their rationale. I guess the issue might be that it's a genuine all-purpose weapon - with perks like 4TTC, outlaw or triple tap (or even without), you can rinse through red-bar enemies, and also wreck yellow-bar enemies, at range and close-up. If you've got a decent roll and the catalyst, then there aren't many situations where you would need anything else. Actually, I've convinced myself - DMT is killing Destiny. It must go. They should nerf it into the planetary mantle, and ban anyone who uses it. Nerf everything except for single-shot grenade launchers and trace rifles, and replace all perks with slideshot. 

A relevant clip from the podcast: https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousExuberantShrewArgieB8-T6nN4IUq86zOjBYu. (Twitch clips won't embed here.)

If you have the time and the interest (the full show is almost three hours long), the two Bungie devs talk a lot about sandbox development and thinking, regrets, etc. Including Evil Stasis and other favourites. 

I think my favourite feature in Presage is the way they crank the tension up to the absolute maximum in the final section by leaving an extremely long gap between grabbing DMT and the 'mission completed' graphic coming up. There's very little to match the rush of thinking that the scripting hasn't kicked in, and that you're about to get booted back to orbit with no checkpoint and no new gun. Very clever design.

6 minutes ago, K said:

I think my favourite feature in Presage is the way they crank the tension up to the absolute maximum in the final section by leaving an extremely long gap between grabbing DMT and the 'mission completed' graphic coming up. There's very little to match the rush of thinking that the scripting hasn't kicked in, and that you're about to get booted back to orbit with no checkpoint and no new gun. Very clever design.

It's to give you time to get the final weekly scannable in that end room.

You're right, though, that was very unnerving the first time through.

2 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Thanks for the Presage suggestions, did that this afternoon and had a grand old time. I’ll admit to cheesing the boss with Witherhoard a bit though. What a silly gun that is. 

Needed it this week, saw you online and thought, shall I jump in and ruin his flawless solo run?

2 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Thanks for the Presage suggestions, did that this afternoon and had a grand old time. I’ll admit to cheesing the boss with Witherhoard a bit though. What a silly gun that is. 

I'm so close to (finally) unlocking the catalyst, it's easily my favourite exotic.

They'll probably nerf it soon as it's a bit too fun. 

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Needed it this week, saw you online and thought, shall I jump in and ruin his flawless solo run?

You should have! There were times when I wished for company. I’ve never been any good with mazes. 

5 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm so close to (finally) unlocking the catalyst, it's easily my favourite exotic.

They'll probably nerf it soon as it's a bit too fun. 

I love it so much. I haven’t had that ‘shoot then go hide’ playstyle in Destiny since the Ice Breaker days. 

2 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

You should have! There were times when I wished for company. I’ve never been any good with mazes. 

Presage is one mission you have to do in a darkened room and today wasn’t the day for that!

We’ll get a pro like @Lyrical Donutto carry through hard mode for the catalyst one day.

On 03/06/2021 at 14:32, Qazimod said:

It’s funny that you mention titles - not only do I see Splicer being possible (the gauntlet upgrades seem like the biggest hurdle) but I’m super-close to last season’s Chosen title as well. Right now I think that my only remaining triumph for that is the secret one associated with Presage?

I often start a season by looking at how “do-able” the title triumphs are, but I never persist with them. It would be nice to finally secure a title…

Title get!

hOc1axD.jpg

I know the associated triumphs weren't the most taxing ones out there, but this is my first ever completed seal, so I'll take what I can. :P 

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Title get!

hOc1axD.jpg

I know the associated triumphs weren't the most taxing ones out there, but this is my first ever completed seal, so I'll take what I can. :P 

7Gmcx5C.gif

I've been using the Lightkin set for the Triumphs/title bullshit and it's grown on me. 

Iron Banner seems less fucky than before. Probably because most people have given up on stasis as it's been nerfed to the earth's core. Still trying to grind out melee kills.

Free afternoon so decided to try out new season, Overide is terrible. (I assume it changes locations weekly?). It's another thing where you can't fail so they've not tried to balance the challenge. It's just pew pew die pew pew die pew pew win. The platform section is odd...the first upgrade on your glove has you bypass it?

Expunge isn't for me, but if you're into speed running I bet it's fun. Looks cheap and low effort graphics wise compared to Bray's simulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIJFTPPp-8 :wub:

It's a shame as they seem to have worked out how to (cheaply) tell a decent ongoing story. Got a giggle out of Ikora telling us we're going to see her a lot more now :D

Spoiler

Did I understand that right? "Osiris" is Savathun? Or is it Lakashim? She was signing Savathun's song right?

Are the challenges harder this time? They seem to be based on limited testing. Still largely doable over whole season, but it felt much easier to "catch up" quickly last time I dipped in. Although some are daft (50 kills in Team Scorch? No thank you). Also the Rep up currency with Chosen you seem to get enough from challenges, but to get Data here it feels like you need to run Overide/Epunge/Corrupted?

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

Are the challenges harder this time?

Feels about the same to me. Most just naturally happen by playing the seasonal objectives (although this time quite a bit more). Then there's the odd quite difficult one thrown in again which means I won't complete the lot e.g. the timed expunge which even with a guide I doubt I'll be able to do, or complete a high difficulty nightfall without dying.

27 minutes ago, pledge said:

Feels about the same to me. Most just naturally happen by playing the seasonal objectives (although this time quite a bit more). Then there's the odd quite difficult one thrown in again which means I won't complete the lot e.g. the timed expunge which even with a guide I doubt I'll be able to do, or complete a high difficulty nightfall without dying.

They're both pretty easy. Ping us when you're on and we can help you do them

38 minutes ago, pledge said:

I just assumed the timed expunge would be easier once you have the gauntlet upgrades.