Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop

Gorf King

31 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

what should I prioritise of the things I’ve missed?

If the Dead Man's Tale exotic mission is still available (I don't know how it works as we're in a new season?), it's worth seeing. IIRC you have to play the Arms Dealer strike, find an "Intercepted Distress Signal" item and speak to Zavala. Then the mission can be started.

The mission is still available on my director (you only have to "unlock" it once) so I assume latecomers can still initiate it?

37 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

1. what should I prioritise of the things I’ve missed? I had a Cipher in my inventory and spent it on Witherhoard which is fun. It seems Xenophage is a fairly important thing, no?

2. I want Anarchy but looks like I need some kind of raid mats to get it. Is there any way of getting these as a solo player? I suspect I’m not going to like the answer to this. 

3. Are any of the old dungeons doable solo? What about for someone who is rubbish?

4. I think that’s it. Oh no, wait: what are some good legendaries? Just for general PvE mucking about really. 

I was actually just trying to solo the Pit of Heresy dungeon last night, as I'm trying to do the Xenophage quest. It seems doable - or at least, the bit of the dungeon you have to do to get Xenophage seems doable, albeit pretty hard. It's an odd experience, as the mission / dungeon / whatever is huge and gorgeous-looking and imaginative, but also makes almost no concessions to the player - you restart the whole section when you die, it makes no attempt to funnel you in a particular direction. It's so hostile as to be weirdly refreshing, as it's so unlike most FPS games. I also had a crack at doing the Shattered Throne solo, and got my face kicked off.

I'd second the suggestion to do Presage - it's also doable solo (although it took me a good couple of hours to complete it, with no checkpoints) and Dead Man's Tale is one of the most satisfying exotics they've done in ages. The mission is very hard, though. I think I did it at well over 1300 light, and it was still a struggle.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

If the Dead Man's Tale exotic mission is still available (I don't know how it works as we're in a new season?), it's worth seeing. IIRC you have to play the Arms Dealer strike, find an "Intercepted Distress Signal" item and speak to Zavala. Then the mission can be started.

The mission is still available on my director (you only have to "unlock" it once) so I assume latecomers can still initiate it?

I think you need to have bought Season of the Chosen to access Presage as it was part of the seasonal content.

If you bought the season pass at the time you can continue to access last seasons stuff (just like you can still do Harbinger if you had Season of the Hunt) but if you didn’t buy it at the time I think you’re locked out now (which is a massive shame as such an excellent slice of content).

2 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

After all these years I never realised there was a cheese spot in Venus/Mars. Outrageous behaviour.

It's not a cheese spot. We go there so that our point of view when looking at the oracles is the same as the point of view of the person calling out the order. 

It's too confusing otherwise.

The ding dongs weren’t too bad the other way round but standing closer to the portal means getting to Fate Making time faster for the three warped in.

Thanks for the carry last night through VoG. I clearly need to learn the names of my equipment ☺️

The new Expunge event feels a bit like The Whisper (with a time limit for the weekly challenge).

On 25/05/2021 at 17:58, dreamylittledream said:

I think you need to have bought Season of the Chosen to access Presage as it was part of the seasonal content.

Ah, that's a pain.

I've done a few Expunge runs now and... yeah, I guess it's pretty fun. The simulation aesthetic still makes me think of random PC shooters from the 90s, and the "labyrinth" aspect isn't that bad - if ever you're lost there's nearly always something to interact with or shoot. It does a good job of subtly (or not-so-subtly) leading the player along.

Not sure if I'll ever clear the challenges for fast times, but there's a triumph for defeating Champions, so I'll chip away at that. :) 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Ah, that's a pain.

I've done a few Expunge runs now and... yeah, I guess it's pretty fun. The simulation aesthetic still makes me think of random PC shooters from the 90s, and the "labyrinth" aspect isn't that bad - if ever you're lost there's nearly always something to interact with or shoot. It does a good job of subtly (or not-so-subtly) leading the player along.

Not sure if I'll ever clear the challenges for fast times, but there's a triumph for defeating Champions, so I'll chip away at that. :) 

We did it with:

to spare. The upgrades help a fair bit. Good fun

I have a cipher burning a hole in whatever pocket of spacetime they're kept in. Is Outbreak Perfected still any good? Last exotics I bought were Witherhoard and Jotunn, and both of them are insanely powerful.

15 minutes ago, K said:

I have a cipher burning a hole in whatever pocket of spacetime they're kept in. Is Outbreak Perfected still any good? Last exotics I bought were Witherhoard and Jotunn, and both of them are insanely powerful.

It is very good. The only thing is I don't think you can actually get the catalyst at the moment, if you're bothered about such things, as the mission for it was on one of the removed worlds.

21 minutes ago, lordscotland said:

It is very good. The only thing is I don't think you can actually get the catalyst at the moment, if you're bothered about such things, as the mission for it was on one of the removed worlds.

Didn't they add that sort of thing to the general loot pool when they remove the actual mission? I'm sure I've started getting catalysts for stuff that was previously a one-time only thing. 

It’s ok for general play as it’s a very very fun gun but it’s no better at killing mans as maybe a good legendary. Especially if they fixed the firefly mods.

I’d get something that would do you a lot of damage very fast like Sleeper, Izangis Burden or a rocket launcher if you are short on ciphers.

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

It’s ok for general play as it’s a very very fun gun but it’s no better at killing mans as maybe a good legendary. Especially if they fixed the firefly mods.

I’d get something that would do you a lot of damage very fast like Sleeper, Izangis Burden or a rocket launcher if you are short on ciphers.

I've got Sleeper, and I'm not that bothered about exotic rocket launchers - none of the ones I've tried seem that much better than a really good legendary RL or heavy MG. I was tempted by Izanagi's Burden, though.

24 minutes ago, K said:

Didn't they add that sort of thing to the general loot pool when they remove the actual mission? I'm sure I've started getting catalysts for stuff that was previously a one-time only thing. 

They did for most, but not this one I believe. Think they’re meant to update it but no date for when. It’s usually from the zero hour mission which you can’t get to at present

3 minutes ago, K said:

I've got Sleeper, and I'm not that bothered about exotic rocket launchers - none of the ones I've tried seem that much better than a really good legendary RL or heavy MG. I was tempted by Izanagi's Burden, though.

I don’t know if Deathbringer is available, but that’s a thing these days now, especially with the catalyst. Aim up! 

Izanagi’s was essential at one point, but then they nerfed it a bit, still bangs tho. 

39 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I don’t know if Deathbringer is available, but that’s a thing these days now, especially with the catalyst. Aim up! 

Izanagi’s was essential at one point, but then they nerfed it a bit, still bangs tho. 

If anyone is thinking of Izanagi, bear in mind that it's no better than a normal sniper until you unlock the catalyst (random drop) and then you need an eye-watering 700 kills to unlock it. Tedious as fuck. 

43 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I'm doing the Deathbringer catalyst at the moment and it is quite spectacular to unleash the purple rain, but I think I just prefer exotic primaries / energy weapons. There's not much that's more fun than using Trinity Ghoul to electrocute a whole room full of red bar enemies, or nailing a whole clip of precision shots with DMT.

Still playing this somehow. Had a quick look at Presage solo earlier but the kid was home from school and found it a bit spooky-ooky (I think because there was nothing to shoot) so I had to quit out. 

Done this week's powerfuls/pinnacles, or at least the ones I want to do or can tolerate (I am not playing Gambit, for example). Ended up around 1275 so I won't be raiding for a while. Battlegrounds and Override are decent enough but both of them go on too long. I understand why they've done it but Menagerie should be the yardstick, and if they're designing seasonal activities as effectively a single encounter and a boss fight then they probably have to accept that they're only going to take ten minutes start to finish. There's no real variety in giving me a slightly different objective when I'm still killing the same things in the same area. Padding, eh. Did my first Expunged this afternoon, though, and enjoyed that a lot. About the right length, a nice challenge and eminently soloable. 

On the whole, though, it seems like they're settling into a nice rhythm with this seasonal stuff, which I'm heartened to see. I'd like to see them focus a bit on how to better accommodate players who are returning after a break — it really sucks that I can't get the 4x catalyst boost for Ticuu's, for example, and the game still needs a 'you should go do this thing next' function of some kind. I have lots of complex thoughts about this (not just with D2 but other games of its ilk) that I should probably write down somewhere one day. I think it's really important. 

Anyway, good game. 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Done this week's powerfuls/pinnacles, or at least the ones I want to do or can tolerate (I am not playing Gambit, for example). Ended up around 1275 so I won't be raiding for a while.

You're still a bit under for VoG, but well over level for all the other raids. DSC was only 1220 recommended. In terms of rewards it's probably an ideal time to do DSC, as it only drops powerfuls now (the others bar VoG are merely legendary), and they'd still be reasonably useful to you.

15 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I understand why they've done it but Menagerie should be the yardstick, and if they're designing seasonal activities as effectively a single encounter and a boss fight then they probably have to accept that they're only going to take ten minutes start to finish.

Menagerie was a raid-lite experience that I'm not sure if or when we'll see again as a seasonal addition, given Bungie's comments of talking about that trio of seasons as taking too much of a toll on the dev team. Perhaps that kind of thing could come as a main DLC inclusion?

Also if you're running Battlegrounds and Overrides in ten minutes I'm impressed! Personally I still get caught out trying to Leeroy Jenkins some of the Battleground champions (especially on the one that ends up on that bit of the Cosmodrome where you run through in the Omnigul Navota strike), and the 12-minute speed-run triumph for Overrides only has a few ticks on it for me, I think.

There are some odd choices in Override. Like, when you access the Vex network, you have to negotiate a platforming section - but the very first upgrade you get to your glove allows you to bypass that bit completely by opening up some new, static, platforms. It renders it completely trivial, and it's something you can unlock after your first go. The same goes for the keycodes you can store. In Battlegrounds, there was some benefit to storing up charges as it let you save up for higher quality rewards, but I'm not really sure what the point of storing the keycodes is - you get so much of the currency you need to buy them that I've never run short.

For all that it's fun, but it feels like there are a lot of different mechanics for such a short activity. It feels very busy, especially given that the Gambit-lite bit at the start takes place in such a cramped environment. I guess its a reaction to the simplicity of Battlegrounds, but I quite liked the no-nonsense, all-combat approach there.

There's lots that isn't great about the Override activity, for me predominant is trying to do the bounties in there because it's so easy and because everyone's just murdering everything it's difficult to get progress. That's probably why most bounties are "progress in Override counts for more" than exclusive to it.

What times are people getting for the expunge? I'm not even close to the 10 minutes solo, and I'm not even getting to the boss area that fast so fire team doesn't seem like it would help much.

Override is very low-stakes; the only bit of preparation comes from ensuring everyone has the sense to equip the special barrier mods. I often find motes all over the ground whilst I’m still running to bank my maxed-out capacity. Also, yes, the key codes aren’t much of a grind - you can spend ten minutes in a strike and get enough materials to generate a new code. And it’s not really worth hanging on to more than one unless you just don’t want to leave the activity.

Still, I suppose it helps to make the gauntlet upgrade as painless as possible. :) (although I still have a bunch of locked tier 2s and 3s…)

To be honest, you don't even need champion mods for the most part. I didn't have any overload mods last couple of sessions, but was still able to smash the champions to pieces with a decent sword.