Gorf King

Destiny 2: Forsaken

9 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

They should be so lucky. I've not had a single Y2 exotic drop yet. If this doesn't change by next week I'm telling my mum on Bungie. I hope they realise the gravity of the situation and sort it out post-haste.

I hope you remembered to pop to Xur and get your fated engram! He gave me Borealis this week (I'm on XBone, hence I didn't have it yet) which I belive fills out my last remaining non-Forsaken exotic. 

Ace of spades is ridiculous, it’s makes year one Thorn seem a little under powered :o 

Now, Warlock supers - how the fuck have they become the most useless super in PvP and the slowest players around the map - I know we have to support the Titan minorities but we’ve gone a bit far now bungo!

4 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Between 500 and 520 any activity with a powerful engram reward should be up to +5 over your overall maximum power level. So that's both the dailies and the weeklies. Check both bounties with vendors (Zavala, Shaxx, Hawthorne, etc) and challenges on the director. Once you've done all those there's basically the new daily each day, and also just playing to kill yellow and orange bars as much as possible until your prime attunement runs out - while that's still active you have the random chance of a powerful engram drop from each challenging enemy, though it might take a while to get one (or, for some people, several). Also, try to follow the quest lines, such as doing a strike with a full set of Vanguard armour. The exotic quests, too, drop at a high level (e.g. Cayde's Will).

Once you've done all the weeklies and quests, you're basically left with the new daily each day, the prime attainment refresh at reset, and the chance of exotic drops.

NB You're not too low for the Dreaming City; thing will be harder but not impossible. Handing in three weekly bounties there will complete the weekly challenge, and that will in itself give you two powerful engrams.

Thanks Sir, that is ENORMOUSLY helpful. 

You can splurge 97 shards on a fated to hopefully get an exotic piece of armour with better perks than the ones you pull out of the collections tab, but it really isnt worth it, as you may just get a weapon, and that will always have set perks.

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

No, Xur is strictly year one gear. They've* said he won't be selling any year two stuff which renders him as useful as @Shimmyhill in Crucible with a sniper.

*Bungie

Im a god with a sniper :o 

This Xur chap must amazing :o 

Absolutely no point playing Gambit today other than to get the engram (and even that wasn't worth it). 

image.png.9a24c96d257955fd40e768750802d585.png

You see the problem?  You get people like those two morons on my team who were just in it for the engram. That's gonna be the case all evening. Well done, Bungle. :slowclap:

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Absolutely no point playing Gambit today other than to get the engram (and even that wasn't worth it). 

image.png.9a24c96d257955fd40e768750802d585.png

You see the problem?  You get people like those two morons on my team who were just in it for the engram. That's gonna be the case all evening. Well done, Bungle. :slowclap:

Maybe they were just crap?

Or weren’t clear on the rules.

3 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Or weren’t clear on the rules.

That's my point. They clearly had no clue how to play Gambit, therefore it's reasonable to conclude they were just doing that one match for the engram, and then fucking off to never play gambit again until the next time it comes around as the daily challenge. 

Bungie should keep the dailies to adventures/stories, and strikes. 

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's my point. They clearly had no clue how to play Gambit, therefore it's reasonable to conclude they were just doing that one match for the engram, and then fucking off to never play gambit again until the next time it comes around as the daily challenge. 

Bungie should keep the dailies to adventures/stories, and strikes. 

And the same applies for Crucible too, surely?Especially in objective-based modes. It's not really worth getting too upset over, since you can't lose rank in Gambit anyway.

Gambit definitely needs a 'kill the fucking envoys, you seeping bellend' bounty, though.

Oh. and in other news. The new arc Hunter thingy is lots of fun, too. Fuck :/

Hunters

Solos going into gambit get exactly what they deserve....

@Scruff did I mention how good Ace + Chromatic fire is?

Ohh my...

On a serious note, Destiny 2 after the campaign is fun for the first time and even PvP is ok these days :o I really wanted to bounce off it again but when the core gunplay is so good it’s hard to stop chasing dat dragon! 

Wishing well all is good, pretty easy to clear the first 2 levels but how do you get keys for 3?

The entire point of those bounties is to nudge people into activities they might otherwise ignore. I do think the bounties could be better tailored towards teaching people to play different modes, but that’s always been a problem in Destiny so I’m not holding my breath. 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Wishing well all is good, pretty easy to clear the first 2 levels but how do you get keys for 3?

#

Buy them off Petra. Unstable charge.

The Crucible milestone always feels like an absolute chore for me since I almost always hate that mode. I usually play it normally but if I'm on a team of solos that gets matched up against a full clan then I stop giving a fuck. I think the only time I genuinely enjoyed the PvP was the first few Iron Banners after Taken King launched.

How much powerful rewards is there now per week compared to pre-Forsaken? Feels like loads.

Strike weekly

Story missions weekly

Crucible weekly

Gambit weekly

Flashpoint weekly

Raid weekly

Spider lost sector bounty weekly

Clan weekly

Ikora weekly

Dreaming City "complete 8 daily bounties" weekly

Dreaming City complete 3 weekly bounties weekly

Plus there's the daily heroic/crucible/strike/gambit rotating one too and prime engrams as well.

1 hour ago, Mafro said:

The Crucible milestone always feels like an absolute chore for me since I almost always hate that mode. I usually play it normally but if I'm on a team of solos that gets matched up against a full clan then I stop giving a fuck. I think the only time I genuinely enjoyed the PvP was the first few Iron Banners after Taken King launched.

How much powerful rewards is there now per week compared to pre-Forsaken? Feels like loads.

Strike weekly

Story missions weekly

Crucible weekly

Gambit weekly

Flashpoint weekly

Raid weekly

Spider lost sector bounty weekly

Clan weekly

Ikora weekly

Dreaming City "complete 8 daily bounties" weekly

Dreaming City complete 3 weekly bounties weekly

Plus there's the daily heroic/crucible/strike/gambit rotating one too and prime engrams as well.

Don't forget though, almost all of them are tier 1 powerful engrams. Which means when you get to 520, they drop at only +1 over your overall power level. 

Nightfalls are tier 2, and their powerful engrams stay at +5-ish until you get to 540.

Tier 3 powerfuls drop at +5 up to you reaching PL 560. So really it's only the tier 3 powerfuls that continue to give +5 rewards when you get to 520 (NF being the exception), and in terms of weeklies/dailies and challenges, that's just the Dreaming City ones. I don't object to the idea of random prime engrams, but I think it's a bit daft that over the course of the week, if you play enough or are lucky enough, you'd get between 7-14 of those a week, compared to only 3 for doing all the actual bounties and challenges, however hard they are. I think prime engrams should just be tier 1, and Bungie should give some more tier 3 engrams to stuff like, maybe, tier III Wells. Or something a bit challenging. But the way they're distributed now just feels off.

Oh I never even knew about the different powerful engram tiers. Haven't done a nightfall yet, I'm 527 so dunno how tough it'll be.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the prime engrams thing was one of the results from that ridiculous "lets invite streamer no-lifers to our studios to help dictate the direction of our game" summit.

That's a bit of a loaded statement though - they don't reward you for having fun. They actually reward you for playing endless hours, whether you're enjoying it or not. Because (randomness notwithstanding) you can just grind out lots of yellow/orange bars in any activity and get the highest number of the highest tier of rewards from that, as opposed to getting them from the most challenging activities. It's fine having prime engrams, but I don't see why they're a tier 3 reward. I think Bungie should reward people going for, say, the Nightfall - or moreso, the 100k score in Nightfall - more than just endlessly grinding anything that has yellow/orange bars for hours on end.

I'd hoped in this expansion they would strengthen the link between activity difficulty and reward, to provide a nice upward slope. But in the end - up to my level, anyway - it seems the highest turnover for power-related rewards still comes from performing lowest-denominator activities for as many hours as possible. Since getting to raid-viable levels demands power more than ever, I think this is a mistake. Bungie should be providing a scale of rewards that reflects the scale of the challenge, so you take one step at a time in terms of difficulty. So you learn the tiers of the game progressively. I don't think the current system does this - it just rewards repetitive grinding and over-reliance on RNG in those base activities. 

To get more people playing 'endgame' stuff you really do have to provide a path that's not just about power, but about being encouraged to tackle more difficult challenges. Do that by offering obviously better rewards. Do that by letting people group up into sixes for the Well (and providing better rewards there as well). Do that by providing matchmaking for said Well - it's hardly mechanically complex, after all.

The length of the power upgrade slope is far better here than it was in vanilla D2, but I'm not sure at all that the way they've handled progression within that long path is very well designed. Of course, there's more to see yet, so I'm hoping things change somewhat once we all get stuck into, say, Tier IV Wells and above. But it's odd seeing far better rewards drop at random from people knocking out public events - or anything that has yellow and orange bars - than from 540 Nightfalls or 560 Wells. Same problem D2 has always had really, but now heightened by the fact that some people seem to get 14 or more of those +5 engrams per week from random primes, and you can only get three a week from the supposedly top-level non-raid activities. Until the very highest tiers of the Well show up, I can see that activity just dying off once people have their second seed. Because there's precious little reason to play it, and lots of reasons to just rip through easy stuff endlessly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1