Gorf King

Destiny 2: Forsaken. No raid spoilers please.

Never played Destiny 2 but got it with this month's PSN sub - can I buy Foresaken and start with that, or do I need to complete the base game and other expansions first? Thanks for any pointers.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Never played Destiny 2 but got it with this month's PSN sub - can I buy Foresaken and start with that, or do I need to complete the base game and other expansions first? Thanks for any pointers.

You have to start from the beginning to get your light level etc.. up to the level needed for Forsaken.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

You need to buy the first 2 DLC Packs (which are on sale) before you can buy Forsaken.

Forsaken comes with a level boost so you can jump straight to it - but it'll lock that character out of the first campaigns

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-character-boost

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

Pfft. Ah'm fookin' the bouss at Gambit. It's just a shame no one I usually play with (with the exception of @hobo who is more interested in DQXIIIVIIIII or whatever and @markh who is cruising the west coast of America looking for illegals to murder and dump in the Pacific) likes Gambit so I've not played as much as I'd like. Hit me up if you ever feeling like actually winning a game Shimmster!

On a 5 win streak so when that’s over will risk a few games with you, could be weeks away but I’m here for you in spirit until we can play again!

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying Forsaken so far. My reservations about random drops has gone away; it seems common enough to get decent drops as well as shit ones (shotgun with Triple Tap, sniper with hip fire - but also primary guns with Outlaw and Rampage, a sniper with Box Breathing.)

The new story and campaign was good and, although it's messy and too busy, the plethora of bounties, challenges and suchlike means it seems there'll always be something to do.

Obviously the Power grind is a long road to start off. But that's fine, and obviously better than one that's over by the weekend.

My only concern so far is Bungie's continuing insistence on making it hard to populate their open world activities. It was hard to get Escalation Protocol going (I think I only ever happened into a viable instance once during the entire Warmind time) and Blind Well looks harder again (because you can't fast travel there to get a team together.)

I am a bit annoyed that whoever it is in their design team that insists it's fun to sit around hoping a team turn up in your instance is still at the decision-making table. Like, I get that when it does happen, it's really great (I loved it the one time it worked in EP or, going back further, the Court of Oryx or Archon's Forge) but it rarely happens in reality, I think. And the ongoing issue where Gambit and Crucible are 4 or 6, but PvE is 3 just means it's too hard to have to leave someone out, or split up.

But that's my only issue so far.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

On a 5 win streak so when that’s over will risk a few games with you, could be weeks away but I’m here for you in spirit until we can play again!

You're so benevolent our Lord and Savior Shimmyhill :notworthy: 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone actually had a mod from anywhere other than dismantling armour? I see Bungie saying they're meant to be random drops but they'll "investigate if they receive reports of low drop rates blah blah blah" or whatever it is they usually say when they've obviously messed something up.

I'm glad they've got rid of the separate arc/void/solar mods because that was a pain in the arsenic you were changing super or armour a lot.

39 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

My only concern so far is Bungie's continuing insistence on making it hard to populate their open world activities. It was hard to get Escalation Protocol going (I think I only ever happened into a viable instance once during the entire Warmind time) and Blind Well looks harder again (because you can't fast travel there to get a team together.)

I still think EP is fantastic - the bosses are an awesome challenge and it's great seeing everyone get in - but it can really depend on the crowd and it can kind of stall personal objectives that require completed waves (ahem.) At least they didn't change the recommended power after Forsaken. :P 

Had a real downer of a session on this last night. Empty Blind Well instances, a quitter’s warning when I left a gambit match after a) all three of my teammates left at the start of the first round, presumably because you sometimes can’t cancel a matchmaking search from orbit, leaving me solo for the entire round, then b) the two people it brought in for the second round just standing in spawn emoting at each other.

Then I did a few strikes hoping to get the armour pieces I need for the weekly challenge, and got yet another grenade launcher and chest piece (the fourth in my inventory, and I’ve sharded several already). 

It’s only natural that progress should slow a bit when you play 25 hours in the space of a few days but still, was quite deflating. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Really enjoying Forsaken so far. My reservations about random drops has gone away; it seems common enough to get decent drops as well as shit ones (shotgun with Triple Tap, sniper with hip fire - but also primary guns with Outlaw and Rampage, a sniper with Box Breathing.)

The new story and campaign was good and, although it's messy and too busy, the plethora of bounties, challenges and suchlike means it seems there'll always be something to do.

Obviously the Power grind is a long road to start off. But that's fine, and obviously better than one that's over by the weekend.

I am a bit annoyed that whoever it is in their design team that insists it's fun to sit around hoping a team turn up in your instance is still at the decision-making table. Like, I get that when it does happen, it's really great (I loved it the one time it worked in EP or, going back further, the Court of Oryx or Archon's Forge) but it rarely happens in reality, I think. And the ongoing issue where Gambit and Crucible are 4 or 6, but PvE is 3 just means it's too hard to have to leave someone out, or split up.

But that's my only issue so far.

I don't get what they've done with the Well team setup at all. I'm sure I read or heard them describe it as a six-person activity, and because they also said they'd learnt from EP that people wanted to be able to have bigger fire teams, I assumed that six-person thing meant it was for fire teams of six. But obviously I discovered it isn't and then people speculated that meant only six people (inc randoms) could partake. But that's obviously not true either, as I was in an instance last night with eight people in total, so I guess it's nine max, just like EP. But it's harder to finagle an FT of six for this than for EP, because you can't just load the same world instance over and over. It's almost as if they looked at the only things people moaned about for EP, said 'yeah, we hear you,' then did the complete opposite of what the solution would be. Really frustrating.

The thing Mike's referring to specifically is, I think, concerning last night, which highlights again a more longstanding flaw with D2 that I don't think has ever been pursued properly, either in interviews pre-D2 launch or subsequently. It's the simple matter, which baffled me when it was announced prerelease, of mismatching numbers. What happened last night was, we had four people in party. But we couldn't do the Well as a four, so we split into four singles and tried to finagle an instance, and failed repeatedly (it kept loading the same randos in the instances). But two of us ended up with heavily populated instances, so got one more in each of our teams, so two teams of two. And as you might guess, one team gets lucky and the randos are good and stay in, and the other one doesn't and their randos quit. One pair of us has to listen to the other pair enjoying a few T2 runs, and eventually getting a seed each, while they get to do... nothing. That's just shit, a really divisive way to play what's supposed to be a team game.

And it all goes back to them deciding to make the numbers indivisible. 3s for patrols and 6s for higher-level activities or Crucible worked great. Having 3s, 4s and 6s, and then activities obviously designed for more than 6 people, which will admit nine, but not letting 6 in, is just fucking stupid. Like, perversely, wilfully stupid. And it splits people up and stops them doing more stuff after the stuff you've just done (like Well after Gambit, or after Crucible), and makes you feel like shit because you're effectively having to boot someone or ask someone to leave, or splitting off and hoping for random support when the whole thing would work perfectly well with three and sixes, and letting sixes into activities that obviously let six (or even nine) people into them. Sorry, Bungie, but it's just appalling design. 

I really do like the Well, but I don't like what it does to the social side of the game. And then 3/4/6 divide is a total community killer; I'm surprised it doesn't get picked up on more. For all it would need rebalancing, and for all the design changes they'd have to make, they should make all activities divisible, so stuff like Gambit shouldn't have been a four either. It's just cementing the problem in. Get rid of fours, make high-level stuff that needs more players, like EP and the Well, actually admit a team of six players. You'd see a huge improvement in makeup and a far more satisfied community straight away, because we'd be able to stick together and do things through a long run of varied content instead of the non-inclusive hopping in and out we get now. 

• Upvote 3

Very sound point. Compare to Battlefield which I've been playing the beta for this weekend. If you get a squad of 4 friends that's you sorted for the rest of the play session. And you can reserve slots for friends who are waiting to arrive. Simple and easy (even if the squad system is bug riddled at the moment.

22 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Nascent Dawn (Polaris Lance mission) complete! I left this on 3/5 for ages because Escalation Protocol was beyond me and most other players, but getting past a set of waves is do-able if you're in a large crowd. The hardest thing outside of that was probably the Javelin multi-kill objective in 5/5 because everyone else wanted to use the Javelin as well :P 

There's still the masterwork objective, so I'll have a look at that. Originally I wondered how you were supposed to identify when Perfect Fifth was ready, but the scoped view has the icon thingy in the ammo counter, so yay. I think the idea is to wait out the burning and get the kill from that...

Done! I found a Mars lost sector where you can run to the end, find a vantage point (there are wall-mounted monitors I crouched on), score critical hits on the boss and then burn a bunch of Thrall with Perfect Fifth. So now I've also got explosions after critical kills :D 

Weird Blind Well glitch found. Destiny 2 thinks the explosions caused by Telesto shots are enemies being killed, and will progress the event as such. More of a time-saver than anything, especially on Tiers I and II, but will probably get patched soon.

10 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Every weekly reset, so 6pm Tuesday. 

I could have sworn I've had the EDZ one reset already. Thought I completed it the other day, then noticed it was back up again and starting from scratch earlier today. So did it again. 

I'm getting absolutely melted by Sleeper Simulant in Gambit too. At first thought it was my power level but now I'm about 505 and it's still happening. 

7 minutes ago, Parksey said:

I could have sworn I've had the EDZ one reset already. Thought I completed it the other day, then noticed it was back up again and starting from scratch earlier today. So did it again. 

I'm getting absolutely melted by Sleeper Simulant in Gambit too. At first thought it was my power level but now I'm about 505 and it's still happening. 

Sleeper is a one hit kill. Can't really be arsed with Gambit just now while that's the meta.

Yeah I think you can do them again but they don’t give powerful rewards. 

I really want Ace Of Spades but don’t like Gambit all that much. It really needs separate matchmaking for solo queue and teams, I think teamwork’s way more important there than in crucible. 

Unlocked the solar titan super and got it fully unlocked in what must have been around half an hour thanks to Hallowfire Heart and the grenadier modifier on the daily stories.

I love gambit, properly decent addition and while PvP lags miles behind peak Destiny PvP I think gambit has the potential to be better still - looking forward to what they add to it esp if the three teams happens and there is double invading to be had!

• Upvote 2

Guide out there right now on how to glitch into what looks like a new part of the Dreaming City, and unlocking a chest for raid loot. Some good old fashioned out of bounds jumping around with a sword shenanigans. 

My attempt got me the raid hand cannon with Zen Moment and Rampage. Which is nice. A cool armor mod too - breaking a Taken shield refreshes grenade ability. I'm going to leave my Titan idling in the area for a while if anyone else wants to be filthy and spawn on me to save you the jumps. Just shoot me a PSN message. 

• Weekly Challenges Reset: After further investigation, we have determined that the Gambit, Crucible, and Story Weekly Challenges did reset at 5 PM PDT Saturday instead of at the Weekly Reset. Due to this issue they will not reset again at the Weekly Reset on Tuesday at 10 AM PDT. This will impact the acquisition of Powerful Rewards depending on when players completed the impacted Weekly Challenges. We are investigating a fix for this issue and will provide updates in this thread as they are available. The Strike and Nightfall Weekly Challenges do not appear to impacted at this time. - Updated 9/9/2018

Fucking hell.

Apparently if you do them again after already getting a powerful engram you the reward is just at 500. Sounds like they might not reset until a week on Tuesday going by their wording.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

So I can do them again and get Powerful gear as of now? That's tomorrow sorted then.

No. People who've done them twice are reporting that they don't give powerful gear after the reset. The problem is, Bungie's language is as obscure as ever. By 'this will impact the acquisition of Powerful Rewards depending on when players completed the impacted Weekly Challenges' they might be saying, if you did them before the buggy extra reset you're fine, they'll be there again on Tuesday, but if you did them again after that they won't. The problem with that is that the people who did them twice seem to report the second dip gave them 500 gear. The other problem is that at least some people who did them for the first time after the fake Saturday reset are also reporting they didn't get the right level gear. But I find that odd, as I did them on my alt after that and all the stuff was fine.

In both cases, there are some people who feel cheated out of either last week's or next week's gear. The ones who seem safest - if you can read anything reliable into the language above - are people who only did the weeklies before the fake reset. So basically I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole if you've done them once already.

Who knows really? The game's a big buggy atm, as I'm sure you know. I bust my balls today to get my alt to the stage where he could cash in the three weeklies for the big Petra rewards, copped the last one (the 100% Well thing), turned that in, and because something had dropped in the Well fights that filled up my consumables menu, the Offering to complete the last weekly couldn't go there, didn't go to the postmaster, and obviously I can't do that bounty again as it's been completed. And I when I got the flashpoint reward before this fake reset business - Thursday, I think - it dropped at 500, not powerful. I'm sure everyone has their own little oddities going on, but there seem to be quite a few progression/reward bugs at the moment, and it sucks a bit when it happens to you. So yeah, best to minimise the risk and not go anywhere near the reset weeklies. Who knows, though? It might be that they only reset properly on Tuesday for people who hadn't completed them pre-Saturday.

My big public service announcement, though, is for people who go into the Well using the Telesto glitch. Just fuck off and ruin some other game, or at least ruin it for yourself in a solo activity. You're not being efficient, you're just sucking the actual life out of the gameplay - especially when you get to the bosses and have no fucking clue what you're doing because you can't glitch them, so we all fail. Thanks.