Zorg Rhombus

Best New Music of 2017

Glad you kicked this thread off, I can't find anything so far to look forward to in 2017 so far. But these first 2 months do seem to pass by without much incident. 

The only 3 releases on my radar currently is the new Sleaford Mods album, St Vincent and the Julia Holter album (although I think its just a live album, nothing new)

My most played of 2017 so far is actually a really late breaking album of 2016 by Jeff Parker (Tortoise) called "The New Breed"

• Upvote 1

@Cosmic_Guru Not strictly 2017, but if you liked the Jeff Parker, then I think you'd enjoy Makaya McCraven's "In the moment" album, which is on the same record label. Jeff also plays on a number of the tracks

I think the whole album is on Youtube and Spotify officially

• Upvote 1

One for the metal heads. :) I'm having a blast with the new Battle Beast album, Bringer Of Pain. Off to see them live on the 19th as I saw them in support of Nightwish, and they took the roof off. Anyhoo, the first single, King For A Day is a cracking tune with a good "fuck Trump" vibe running through the lyrics:

• Upvote 1

Personal favourite is the new Valerie June album The Order Of Time.

It's like a lovely balm for the soul.

Cover looks a bit like it might be a neo soul album, but it's like this beautiful, lovely warm country soul album - (apparently a bit like Matthew E White's warm production) she's got a real twang to her voice which might be a bit marmite, but I think it's such a great album. Apparently her previous album was a bit more "cosmic soul" whereas this is a bit more straight.

Shakedown is a great uptempo track and Astral Plane is a bit more subdued...she's playing in Brighton on the 22nd of April, but dunno whether to skip that and see her at Rough Trade on the 26th.

Anyway, out of the loads of stuff I've heard this year, this is the one I've kept going back to.

• Upvote 1

I've got really shit at discovering music recently, but loved this pretty much instantly.

Also love the conceit that they're a fictional band from a Maxine Peake play or something. Bands should never actually exist in base reality.

• Upvote 2

Should be very good, MFM are killing it. Their recent Brazilian compilation is my fave release this year so far.

I'm really impressed with the new Miami Horror EP - The Shapes. It's a slight change of style, less poppy and very reminiscent of the best of Talking Heads, Human League and Kid Creole. Perfect springtime vibes.

Listen in full below:

New track from Agar Agar. Just got onto these recently, and there's an EP called Cardan from 2016 which is also tremendous, particularly I'm That Guy.

• Upvote 3