strawdonkey

Splatoon 2

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

This might have been posted before, but it explains why motion controls are pretty near essential.

It seemed to boiled down to it just being easier if you’re not used to high sensitivity settings on twin sticks, no? I tried motion and ironically found them just too sensitive, certainly on the big screen. 

1 hour ago, Barnard said:

@spanx I didn’t get anyone to appear online but I’m glad the notification worked. 

A list of Splatoon 2 players who are happy to receive such notifications would be great. It’s a shame that I might have spammed people who don’t own Splatoon 2. 

Who would be happy to get notifications via their smartphone when I’m Splatooning online? Nothing later than 2130 UK time? 

Because in theory, once one person joins a public turf war their friends can join them once a space becomes available. 

Yeah, chuck me an invite whenever you see me on. Likewise anybody else who wants to add. 

SW-4440-1514-6142

ID is Mooselizer

53 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

It seemed to boiled down to it just being easier if you’re not used to high sensitivity settings on twin sticks, no? I tried motion and ironically found them just too sensitive, certainly on the big screen. 

Not so much easier as more effective because you can stay on your target using much better and smaller fluid movements, something that even the most sensitive stick settings can't match. There's no auto aim in Splatoon so it's very important to be able to manage these tiny micro movements, and just less likely to be as accurate with your thumb and a stick.

Hah; finally got around to finishing the single-player on this, only to NOT have the zapfish reappear in the square!

I wondered why there was a bunch of messages talking about the zapfish earlier. Looks like a bug in the most recent update!

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What's the zapfish?

It's a source of power for the city - it's what you're trying to get back in the single-player campaign. You don't need to worry about it as such - it's not a power-up or an ability etc that you are missing!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What's the zapfish?

A McGuffin. Like @rgraves says, the single-player campaign ends up with its rescue - it then curls around the tower at the top of the plaza. When you finish the single-player, you get shown a picture of this - mine was completely missing the zapfish.

What's slightly interesting is that it shows that almost everything you see is rendered in-world, and not recorded. There's a bug that means that the zapfish is currently not being shown in-situ; therefore, it wasn't there to be rendered when I finished my solo game.

I've noticed the same when you start the game - if you look behind Pearl and Marina, you often see some inklings taking pics; if you walk up to the window when you start in the plaza, you'll meet the same inklings, wearing the same gear, standing in the same place.

I think it's so that you always see the current state of your plaza - the messages on the billboards and the like (although the inklings do move around when you leave the plaza for any reason).

Not really sure I understand how playing with Friends works on this. 

Ive seen a few of you online now but can never seem to join. Is it because you’re playing a different game mode?

Once I got a message saying I was joining bagapeas but when the countdown finished, he was nowhere to be found /foreveralone

There’s no invite system or anything? All seems a bit jank. 

I love my Switch but some of the modern gaming basics (cloud saves, parties, voice comms, connectivity etc), Nintendo just struggle so hard. 

8 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Ive seen a few of you online now but can never seem to join. Is it because you’re playing a different game mode?

Usually yes, or already in a full lobby.

Are you at level 10 yet? Once you get there, ranked mode opens up - and to be honest I think that's where a lot of people spend their time. Apart from when it's Splat Zones. Splat Zones is my kryptonite.

55 hours in and just found out about ability chunks. Anything with secondary abilities that you don't use you can wipe clean at Murch. Any abilities wiped stack up .Get 10 of the same and you can put that ability on anything yourself.

Was wondering how players got all three slots the same.

Kids game my arse. 

Costs 20K to wipe a normal item clean.

But only 2K to wipe a Splatfest Teeshirt clean - so, I wipe my splatfest Tee every time it gets a couple of abilities on it. Build up those chunks. I haven't tried it with one of Crusty Sean's drinks yet - those should lead to more chunks of a particular type. (Murch is dancing in the crowd near the entrance during a Splatfest).

Also, it's 10 chunks if the item doesn't already have that ability on it - otherwise it's 20, then 30, depending on how many slots already have the same ability.

6 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

:wacko:

....so much to learn about this game

Oh, you only have Splatfest Tees for the duration of the splatfest, so I just treat it as an opportunity for cheap chunks during the 'Fest.

Once you have your preferred weapons sorted, then you have the fun of optimizing your gear buffs!

I like stuff that's useful all the time - things like quick super jump or quick respawn are dependent on being splatted; cold-blooded on the other team deploying point sensors.

So my favourites are:

• Ink recovery up. To the point I try to run at least one full and a couple of secondaries, maybe two full. I hate running out of ink - and more, this allows you to recover ink fast after slinging a thirsty sub-weapon. Bomb, duck, bomb, duck...
  • Ink resistance up. In a face-off, it's who reaches their 'hits to kill' first. This adds some to your defence, so tips the odds in your favour. Also means you take less splash damage and you can move through enemy ink a little better. This may be a holdover from the first game. (Bomb defence also increases your surivability - it's just you'll face fewer bomb hits in a game).
  • Swim Speed up. You'll see people running two or three of these; increases your speed in ink, meaning you can get around the arena much more quickly. Pair with a short range weapon to get close, quickly. Use to get away. Makes you much harder to track and hit, as long as your team keeps that ink coverage up. Makes your jumps longer - so you can get places you couldn't before.

Then tweak the mix depending on the main weapon, and the associated sub or special I'm running with. So:

• Sub Power Up. I use this with Sticky bombs; I believe it gives you a little more throwing range, and a little more damage when it goes off (but most kill in one hit - grenades benefit more).
  • Ink Saver Sub, Ink Saver Main. Again, like Ink Recovery up, allows you to get more shots off before you need to duck into ink - some primary weapons use a lot of ink (splatlings, Aerospray); sub may allow you to get three grenades off instead of two, for example.
  • Special Power Up. Allows you to get specials out more quickly and more often - if you have a good special, pair it with this.

I don't really use any of the unique primaries; some people like Ninja Squid for ambushes; Last-Ditch effort is supposed to be good in Turf War, because many of the matches are won or lost in the closing minute. Drop Roller - I just use Dualies and get a free one of these.

• Upvote 1

It's a game that looks so simple, but from observing how people play (e.g. regularly destroy me) it's clear there's a lot of depth to just the basic game that I'm not appreciative of, before I even start worrying about gear, buffs, etc. I've played a fair few hours of Turf War now, and I still haven't seen probably half the levels, and am finding I get myself in to very tricky situations very quickly. It would be really good to *try* and get a few people on here together with voice chat so newbies like me can at least get some tips.

I also tried to play this in handheld mode yesterday, and it completely broke my ability to play with motion controls. Still not entirely sure why, literally could barely navigate around the level let alone splat anything/anyone.

Yeah, your performance will improve as you learn the stages - learn choke points, ambush locations, alternative routes. But even something as unpredictable as the weapon loadouts of the two teams can make a big difference in a single game.

My tips are: learn the optimum range of your weapon, and play to it. Learn how to move around the stages, especially vertically.

Short-range weapons need you to get in close and not be spotted. So maybe Ninja squid, or learn to approach over the lip of an obstacle or above. Long-range weapons, use at their extreme range - don't close in for combat, unless you're up against someone with a longer range. Attack around the edge of obstacles - especially if you have a narrow-focussed weapon; half of the ruturn fire will hit the obstacle.

Use bombs to keep attackers at bay - not so useful in wide-open areas.

Keep specials for when you need them most. Unless you get splatted a lot.

You regain health while in ink - duck back in after a firefight!

I like using the ninja super jump. Caught a few out as it does not show you flying in to the opposition.

Level 28 now how some are 50 plus must never play anything else

Question - on the Status menu tab there is an Ability button. What do they do?  Some have x0 on them, some don’t. Can I assign them to gear? The gear perks seem to be set though. 

Also, does anybody else do air drums at the end of every round? Even if you lose?

11 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Question - on the Status menu tab there is an Ability button. What do they do?  Some have x0 on them, some don’t. Can I assign them to gear? The gear perks seem to be set though. 

Also, does anybody else do air drums at the end of every round? Even if you lose?

Those are the ones you can assign but you need 10 to do so. You get them from scrubbing slots on gear you don't use. I think you may be able to get some by doing salmon runs.

5 minutes ago, Yuujiin said:

Those are the ones you can assign but you need 10 to do so. You get them from scrubbing slots on gear you don't use. I think you may be able to get some by doing salmon runs.

Salmon runs give you tickets that you can exchange with Crusty Sean - drinks tickets (you need to press X to see the back of the card after talking to him) double the chance of getting certain abilities when your gear levels up and adds a sub-slot. Those can then be wiped to build up fragments to exchange at the rate quoted below.

Murch (to the right of the lobby entrance) wipes gear and adds slots (and a lot else once you get Sea Snails). And here's what I said about wiping gear upthread:

20 hours ago, smac said:

Costs 20K to wipe a normal item clean.

But only 2K to wipe a Splatfest Teeshirt clean - so, I wipe my splatfest Tee every time it gets a couple of abilities on it [edit: during a single splatfest - you have to give it back at the end, so always end with a wipe before returning it if you have time before the 'fest ends] to build up those chunks. I haven't tried it with one of Crusty Sean's drinks yet - those should lead to more chunks of a particular type. (Murch is dancing in the crowd near the entrance during a Splatfest).

Also, it's 10 chunks [to add an ability to a sub-slot] if the item doesn't already have that ability on it - otherwise it's 20, then 30, depending on how many slots already have the same ability.

52 minutes ago, smac said:

Salmon runs give you tickets that you can exchange with Crusty Sean

It'll also directly give you chunks as well at certain reward levels - the super reward (every 600 points) is quite often chunks.

Excellent - I've not played Salmon Run that much. Usually only get a couple of rewards per session.

Oh, enough to recall that you sometimes get duplicate gear, and you then can exchange the existing one for chunks.

So who prefers what kind of gear set-up?

Personally, I tend to use the E-Litre sniper with the land mine and the ink storm special for ranked.

I tend to stack up "special charge up" so have at least one on each item of clothing. I also try and put in at least two "special power up" on the ink storm. I always have ink resistance and swim speed up too. Ink storm is great to use as defence as well as attack.

If I am feeling aggressive, I'll go with the Rapid Blaster with the land mine/ink storm or the other variants

Respawn Punisher is a must as I get a lot of kills with this. I then look for ink refill and the perk that uses less ink on the main weapon and also ink resistance and swim speed.

I virtually never super-jump so I don't use any of those. Respawn Punisher is really good if you kill a lot as it adds time to your prey's respawn - it's invaluable if you are playing some of the ranked matches.

So what does Respawn Punisher do to you? I thought it gave you additional time out as well - so if you tend to splat more than be splatted, I guess it works.