strawdonkey

Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion AVAILABLE NOW

Mario Kart 8 is a port. This is not. The content, in its entirety, is completely fresh.

I actually wish it was a port. I'm going to miss some of the old stages, and also the music.

9 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Mario Kart 8 is a port. This is not. The content, in its entirety, is completely fresh.

I actually wish it was a port. I'm going to miss some of the old stages, and also the music.

I personally 100% guarantee you the old stages will return as dlc at least.

Game looks mechanically very similar from an engine and graphics perspective. More like Splatoon Redux

I *think* I spotted in the videos that ink splats on walls now have drip lines. It's the little things. 

In the trailer, Moray Towers is one of the maps so it's likely they'll use all the maps + new ones. It's going to be a drip-feed again of levels/equipment and game modes.

3 hours ago, sir shrew said:

I personally 100% guarantee you the old stages will return as dlc at least.

Game looks mechanically very similar from an engine and graphics perspective. More like Splatoon Redux

I *think* I spotted in the videos that ink splats on walls now have drip lines. It's the little things. 

So by that logic, every call of duty, battlefield, Mario kart and, hell, any sequel to anything ever made is only a redux version? 

Ridiculous. 

I'm not really into Splatoon myself but I love watching my daughter play it. She is well in the positive in terms of her score and currently level 27. Not bad for 8 years old! 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, g wings said:

How have I not already got this game in my life? It looks amazing.

It is - thing is its already available and has been for the last 18 months on the Wii U.

As much as I love Splatoon this really does just look like more of the same - but early days on the details yet - would love to see the single player fleshed out as the original was great albeit far too short.

A sequel does need to add something - something more than a few more maps and guns.  This looks to me like as much a remaster as Mario Kart

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So by that logic, every call of duty, battlefield, Mario kart and, hell, any sequel to anything ever made is only a redux version? 

Ridiculous. 

It's not a criticism. Splatoon is fucking great.

• Upvote 2

Every special is new, there are new maps and (I think) new modes.

It 'looks' the same with the dreaded asset reuse, but if they gave the aesthetic and engine an overhaul, the wait would be longer.

59 minutes ago, DC07 said:

Every special is new, there are new maps and (I think) new modes.

It 'looks' the same with the dreaded asset reuse, but if they gave the aesthetic and engine an overhaul, the wait would be longer.

The specials are new but seem to do similar things? ie. the bazooka/missile thing is just the tornado special but represented with different visuals. Surely the old specials should be included too. 

They could introduce new mechanics like kill-streak style rewards and more character transformations. The risk of course is COD style escalation, and they know what exists works.

I think it adds enough new stuff I want to try. The original brought such a huge amount of new ideas the table, they get a pass from me for reworking the same game to try and reach a wider audience.

• Upvote 1

They could be doing with making it a touch faster. I have no idea why the squid jump had more of a delay applied to it.

I played the other night for the first time in ages and it felt like the swimming had been slowed down as well. Is that just me or what? Actually everything felt slower than I remember it being. 

Splatoon was absolutely brilliant. I think it's probably my favourite shooter to date, simply because of the excellent swim/cover/reload mechanic. Lining up an enemy and popping up out of the ink to splat them felt fantastic. Intrigued to see what they add, but definitely hoping to see a few interesting additions, rather than just a near port (which is what it currently looks like to me). New maps are good but I want something fresh. I'm also probably the only person who really disliked the hats/shoes/weapon shop thing. Just seemed painfully slow to me. Oh and get rid of those fucking cats sisters at the start of every fucking load.

39 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Splatoon was absolutely brilliant. I think it's probably my favourite shooter to date, simply because of the excellent swim/cover/reload mechanic. Lining up an enemy and popping up out of the ink to splat them felt fantastic. Intrigued to see what they add, but definitely hoping to see a few interesting additions, rather than just a near port (which is what it currently looks like to me). New maps are good but I want something fresh. I'm also probably the only person who really disliked the hats/shoes/weapon shop thing. Just seemed painfully slow to me. Oh and get rid of those fucking cats sisters at the start of every fucking load.

You mean Callie and Marie (Calamari) the pop singers who present the show who are not cats? They've introduced an additional Judd (I wonder what the new one will be called) at the win/lose screen.

Seen this comparison on reddit, seems like more of an upgrade visually than I had originally thought for this sequel.

(Switch at the top, Wii U at the bottom).

rjgj6d525vay.png

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 20/01/2017 at 16:07, BarryL85 said:

Seen this comparison on reddit, seems like more of an upgrade visually than I had originally thought for this sequel.

The, er, leaves on the trees look a bit better and shinier, I guess?

If you hadn't told me that these screens were from two different games, I wouldn't have bothered to look for improvements.

This will help fill the void after BotW. It also means I'll need to get a Pro controller in March, though.

I wish it was a regional test fire. Either that or the twist in this sequel is that we get the lag advantage over the Japanese. How sweet that would be.

4 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

The, er, leaves on the trees look a bit better and shinier, I guess?

Eh? From just a glance the switch version seems to have improved lighting, better texture work and seems to feature a higher polygon count. Most obviously the leaves on the trees.

The Wii U screen looks a bit more flat then I can recall the game ever looking though. Strange.

The following comes from a Famitsu interveiw with Splatoon 2 producer Hisashi Nogami, as translated by NE...

F: So you’re saying, as a proper sequel, it’s a fresh new take on various things.

HN: The gameplay fundamentals are still the same, of course, and the basic Turf War rules haven’t changed […] but the Special Weapons have all been given makeovers. I decided to have the weapons be gradually released as well, like before. We plan to have more weapons than the first game, with the available choices at the start being more numerous than the original. But I wanted players to once again enjoy the changes in the weapon trends as new ones are steadily introduced. The combinations of Main Weapons and Specials have been changed, and the Sub Weapons are also being revised, so I hope everyone who played the first will enjoy testing out all of the new combinations for themselves.

F: Those were the days. (Laughs) At the presentation it was mentioned that players could play “together, from around the world”. You’re planning on having worldwide matchmaking again?

HN: We are. We’d like to have everyone around the world be able to play together, but the Splatfests will be unique to each region, as they were previously. Just like the first game, we’d like to have people from around the world be able to fight each other.

F: Chargers also allow you to move while holding the charge now.

HN: We’re calling this ability to maintain your charge the “Charge Keep” [note: subject to change in English]. If you turn into squid form while holding a full charge, you can maintain the charged state briefly while moving around. When you exit squid form, you’ll still have the charge ready. If you take too long, though, the charged state will end.

F: So the weapon lineup in 2 will be an expansion upon what was available in the first game?

HN: That’s right. They have all had their parameters adjusted, and we plan to have more available in the end, compared to the first game.

F: I’ve heard that the special weapons have all been completely redone.

HN: That is true. All of the special weapons from the previous game have been changed.

F: Will the weapon combinations be locked, like in the first game?

HN: Main Weapons, Sub Weapons and Special Weapons all come as a set, but since we’ve reworked the Special Weapons, we’ll be revising the combinations.

F: I’ve also heard that there are new hair-styles and bottoms available.

HN: The hair-styles and bottoms will be available to change, just like the skin color and eyes in the first game. They don’t affect your battle performance, they’re just extra ways to accent your style. On the other hand, headgear, clothing and shoes all have gear abilities.

F: Moving on, I’d like to hear about how the game controls. Are all of the controllers types supported?

HN: Yes, we’re making it possible to play the game using all available controllers. The Joy-Con are bundled with the system, so it’s possible to play only using them. But the standard for Splatoon 2 will be docking the Joy-Con inside the grip to play. There’s also the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. It’s sold separately, but it’s very nice to play with, so I’m thinking about recommending it to Splatoon 2 players. And of course, you can play it in portable mode as well.

F: The smartphone app allows players to engage in things like voice chat, using the online service. Will Splatoon 2 be making use of this app too? And if it does, could you tell us a bit about how it works?

HN: Of course it supports it. The application and game work together: you can and your friends can use the app to create rooms and gather together to play, which then matches you up in the game. You can invite friends to rooms using just the app, or you can invite people not on your friend list using social network sites. You can even create rooms in advance. For example, during the afternoon, you can set up a room to invite friends to a match that same evening. Then, once enough people join, you can start the game. So you can use it to set up these “meetups”. You can also use the application to engage in voice chat with other players in the room during gameplay. This feature also works together with the game. For example, in Splatoon 2, you can chat with everyone in the room before the private match starts, but once the teams are decided, it automatically limits the chat to only be with your own team. The voice chat only functions between people in the same room, so you can’t talk to strangers.

F: I can’t wait! Since the Nintendo Switch features HD Rumble, will this game be using it?

HN: It will indeed make use of HD Rumble. Since it’s capable of very expressive feelings, we’re putting a lot of effort in to get the best tactile sensations possible.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-producer-talks-a-ton-about-weapons-mobile-app-usage-graphics-hd-rumble-more/

• Upvote 2