VN1X

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Looks superb. Lots of scope to explore but there were glimpses of more tightly-designed sections as well. That's ideal for me. Looking forward to seeing his new powers. Extending jumps by hopping of the thrown cap is cute and rolling down the dunes oughta be fun. He has his Mario 64 dive back as well, which is a good sign. That water looks lovely; I really want the frog suit back. I'd settle for penguin.

I wonder hot much of that New Donk City will be accessible? Maybe it's the hub? I'll wait for GameXplain to release an absurdly long assessment of the details.

• Upvote 2

It looks like Mario has a machine that lets him travel to various kinds of realities.

Maybe Bowser kidnaps Peach (as usual.... sigh) and somehow gains access to these varying realities, and tries to overtake each one.  But Mario ends up thwarting him each time, so he has to move onto the next.  Could explain why one of the worlds just has basic humans in a regular city.

Edit: or he just travels around the world, outside of the Mushroom Kingdom? 

That city will be full of 'I can see that there... how do I get to it?' moments. The other environments look glorious though, not your usual desert/lava/ghost house Mario guff.

That looks amazing, the style of graphics in the city didn't seem to match up to the rest of the trailer but the methods of Mario getting around and freedom of movement looked fantastic.

• Upvote 1

When I saw this,  it just reminded me of sonic adventure.  A bit jarring if I'm being honest.

The rest of the world's look fine but I'm sure as a whole it will be pretty great.

• Upvote 2

@Mr. Gerbik

13 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

(Mario Odyssey looks fucking fantastic!  Must-have! @VN1X is mad as a catz saying that the city bits don't look good! It looks BRILLIANT)

It's just that the art styles don't match up really. I got some strong Sonic 06 vibes from that trailer. I mean are Mario, Peach and everyone else aliens now?

I would've much preferred it if that environment and its characters were more stylised. Could've been something like Toad City and still be inspired by 50s New York or whatever...

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, VN1X said:

@Mr. Gerbik

It's just that the art styles don't match up really. I got some strong Sonic 06 vibes from that trailer. I mean are Mario, Peach and everyone else aliens now?

I would've much preferred it if that environment and its characters were more stylised. Could've been something like Toad City and still be inspired by 50s New York or whatever...

You're too young to know this since it's a few decades before your time, but it harkens back to an important piece of official Mario lore. Odyssey finally brings Mario Mario's native realistic city together with the cartoony Mushroom Kingdom in the same glorious way that the classic Super Mario Super Show did it:

I didn't know there was a German version! They even dubbed the rap! :lol::lol:

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, VN1X said:

@Mr. Gerbik

100% the first thing I thought as well, plus the googly eyes on the hat... Didn't like that.

The trailer shows enough 'proper' mario gameplay towards the end that I can forgive the offputting city bits. The actual running around looks great.

also Pimp Bowser

The Sonic Adventure bits are a miss, they even have a weird rock soundtrack and robot enemies, they'd be better to have gone with the more stylised artstyles.

Mario Kart manages to have real-world locations like dams and freeways but still fit the style.

But it looks like more of a Mario64 style one, which is what people wanted, right?

Who thought Sonic Adventure would be influencing Nintendo 8 years later ;)

Anyway, I think this looks properly amazing. Potential system seller in all honesty. Love all the new traversal mechanics, and the varied playgrounds to mess around in.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You're too young to know this since it's a few decades before your time, but it harkens back to an important piece of official Mario lore. Odyssey finally brings Mario Mario's native realistic city together with the cartoony Mushroom Kingdom in the same glorious way that the classic Super Mario Super Show did it:

I didn't know there was a German version! They even dubbed the rap! :lol::lol:

The problem is, being that he's supposed to be from there the other people should either be similar in stature to him or he should become more realistic and look like Ron Jeremy.

• Upvote 1

All the environments shown so far have vastly differing art direction and they look great, especially colourful cooking land thing. It's good to see Mario take a bit of a break from the mushroom kingdom, but I can't see the apparent 'Bowser forces Peach into an unwanted marriage' story going down well these days.