TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

WipEout Omega Collection - VR Update out now

Yeah, I'm afraid so. On the other hand, maybe they weren't certain if it's doable yet without puking all over the floor and are experimenting with various comfort options? Maybe they will listen to the comments on Playstation Blog and their Facebook pages and include it after all? Maybe they want to generate some buzz further down the line with a surprise announcement? Or maybe it will just be a lazy port by brushing up some existing assets and not add anything new. Who knows. It seems like a no-brainer to include VR, and as these are PS3 and Vita games we're talking about it there shouldn't be any technical reasons why it can't be done.

I think they might consider adding VR later on, much like they added 3D TV support later to the PS3 version. Let's wait and see.

Still, this is getting bought - I've barely played this collection of three Wipeout games so it'll be great to play at rock solid 60fps (a failing of Vita's 2048).

1 hour ago, angel said:

Soundtrack info remains priority.

Might potentially be a nightmare in terms of licensing. (Or not, and some guy discovered the rights to them will expire after 2017, prompting development of Omega to start with.)

[edit] Never mind.

There will be both a physical retail and a downloadable version of the Omega Collection - both due in summer 2017. A new soundtrack will also be included - due to what we assume are licensing reasons, the old one won't be present.

Well, there goes the only sensible mix of Louder.

It might still be fun to try something like Wipeout in PSVR's cinematic mode (if there are good first-person camera options) :)

I missed out on the PS3 games, going from 2097/Fusion to Pure/Pulse and then 2048, so HD and Fury content is interesting. Multiplayer is a welcome addition, although I'll miss 2048's barrel-roll boosts...

10 minutes ago, Mars said:

Presumably because it will make people vomit uncontrollably?

No more than trackmania does.

It's a strange omission. I would have thought it was a prime candidate.

15 minutes ago, Mars said:

More likely 'cos it's just a low budget remaster.

For me, it's another game to tick off the "don't need a PS3 to play this anymore" list, rather than anything new. I wonder if they'll do a discount/upgrade. :P

3 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Thumbs up for physical release too. Not too fussed on Soundtrack as we have plenty of options. Somebody is bound to share a Spotify playlist.

This route only leads to sadness as Spotify doesn't have all the correct mixes. 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

No more than trackmania does.

It's a strange omission. I would have thought it was a prime candidate.

Yup, really don't get it. Racing is far better suited to VR then something like RIGS which is closer to vomit central. It's like they don't even want to try. 

6 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Might potentially be a nightmare in terms of licensing. (Or not, and some guy discovered the rights to them will expire after 2017, prompting development of Omega to start with.)

[edit] Never mind.

Well, there goes the only sensible mix of Louder.

A tear rolls down the cheek of Xpander :(

Doesn't really sound like it'll offer much more than HD already did on PS3, other than some technical posturing.

And a shame there's no content from the original PSOne trio – some excellent tracks and definitive vehicle design amongst that lot. Custom soundtracks FTW as usual, by the sounds of it? Is that possible on PS4 like it is on PS3?

16 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yup, really don't get it. Racing is far better suited to VR then something like RIGS which is closer to vomit central. It's like they don't even want to try. 

Someone on Gaf said it was because WipEout doesn't have a cockpit view anyway so any form of VR slapped on the current pov's wouldn't do the game or VR experience any good. Sounded plausible to me. 

This Omega collection is most likely just used by Sony as an indicator of how viable a completely new WipEout would be so hopefully it sells well. In the meantime i'm just excited there are going to be some working online lobbies.  

Just now, SeanR said:

this is pro footage. any chance of some side-by-side?

Yeah, 4k pro footage, found it on gaf.

What I want to see is plenty of 2048 footage in glorious 4k.

On 05/12/2016 at 16:55, Mars said:

Radial G and Redout both have VR support and are perfectly comfortable, and Redout in particular is basically off-brand WipEout. Actually Redout is fantastic, although its VR implementation was a bit lacking to start with. It's had loads of updates since then though so is probably worth another go.

It's possible that WipEout's control style might make VR a bit more impractical though. I never got on with its "bonnet" cam, and third person racing in VR would be a bit of a novelty.

Looks lovely. Very few gaming experiences compare to the moment you 'click' with Wipeout and can hit insane speeds without simply barging in to the sides of the track.

More anticipation for console versions of Redout to be honest, wipeout is great but we've done these games...Redout is the true new version.

3 minutes ago, angel said:

More anticipation for console versions of Redout to be honest, wipeout is great but we've done these games...Redout is the true new version.

No, that's the new F-Zero. I mean, just look at it:

Besides, WipEout without the branding is missing the point of WipEout.

I miss TDR.

• Upvote 1