rllmuk
Lorfarius

PS1 Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, RastanSaga said:

Sorry mate, I revisit these and my crash bandicoot trilogy every year or so.

Man with good taste! And yes, these old classics should be cherished and part of a good library. 

I saw that they were US copies, and thought it was worth a try! 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Man with good taste! And yes, these old classics should be cherished and part of a good library. 

I saw that they were US copies, and thought it was worth a try! 

Thank you, sir! Most of my American ps1 software has came from EBay Usa..although, I got my rival schools about ten (maybe) years off a uk seller...now I want to set it up...!

(I just have one retro console set up at a time) although, I've been known to change it a few times in a day, depending on my mood. Right now it's my super fami, I only just got a super gameboy..

Worth an ask though..I've done that myself...and got lucky :)

One of my biggest gaming regrets is getting rid of my modest PS1 collection. Now however, I've opted to correct that error! Mr Postman has just delivered this little collection of PS1 games for me from ebay (9 games in total, there's another layer underneath). I haven't got an actual console yet, but my plan is to mainly re-purchase the games I enjoyed back in the 90s, rather than trying to gobble up as many releases as possible. Overall, I think the PS1 is quite a cheap console to collect (perhaps one of the cheapest retro systems?) but there's the odd game that has still retained its value. Those game boxes are so iconic though: I love the compact manuals, the black discs, the PS logo. 

I'm most looking forward to getting behind the wheel in Gran Turismo again, although I now have GT2, which I have never played.

EIhy2pmXsAMOsyK.jpg

• Upvote 6

V-Rally was such an utter bastard! The number of times I crashed after clipping a corner close than the game wanted me to so it spat the car off in the opposite direction was ridiculous. V-Rally 2 was sublime though

V-Rally was a bit crap really but 2 is majestic and the PS1 version plays the best. 

PS1 is my favourite console tbh. So many amazing games. Many hold up with the right setup. 

3 hours ago, nakamura said:

V-Rally was a bit crap really but 2 is majestic and the PS1 version plays the best. 

PS1 is my favourite console tbh. So many amazing games. Many hold up with the right setup. 

What would you say is the right set up? Is there a particular best option for connection to the TV? 

10 minutes ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

What would you say is the right set up? Is there a particular best option for connection to the TV? 

For the 3d stuff you really need a CRT. 

However, a scaler of sorts to add scanlines or upscale is a great idea as it's mostly 240p content. 

That said, I use play some games via the PS1 classic that upscaled them to HD. They often looked really nice but the classic doesn't have the power to have smooth performance. 

What kind of setup do you have?

29 minutes ago, nakamura said:

That said, I use play some games via the PS1 classic that upscaled them to HD. They often looked really nice but the classic doesn't have the power to have smooth performance. 

What about the Shield?

18 minutes ago, Parappa said:

What about the Shield?

Not used one myself but from what I have seen it should run PS1 fine. PS1 classic ran than fine when using a different emulator from standard but started to get choppy when using the High Res mode. 

• Upvote 1

Oh man, I am going through my PSOne games at a rate like they're going out of style. Finished Policenauts, FF VIII, FF IX and RE2 over the last 3 months, and now I started Dino Crisis for the very first time. What an amazing take on the RE concept. I takes the formula and notches it up by one. No more hiding in rooms when the zombies are coming. These raptors know how to enter them, they can rush you and jump across an entire room.

A real shame the series turned to dog shit with the third instalment, because I sure would have loved a 4th game or even a RE2 style remake on current hardware, but I assume the series is pretty much extinct now (ho-hum).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Indeed, and the first DC game I played. Making me wonder why everyone was so crazy about the series.

I thought you meant Dreamcast when you said "DC" so was about to go "well actually..."

On 07/11/2019 at 12:46, Vaguely Heroic said:

One of my biggest gaming regrets is getting rid of my modest PS1 collection. Now however, I've opted to correct that error! Mr Postman has just delivered this little collection of PS1 games for me from ebay (9 games in total, there's another layer underneath). I haven't got an actual console yet, but my plan is to mainly re-purchase the games I enjoyed back in the 90s, rather than trying to gobble up as many releases as possible. Overall, I think the PS1 is quite a cheap console to collect (perhaps one of the cheapest retro systems?) but there's the odd game that has still retained its value. Those game boxes are so iconic though: I love the compact manuals, the black discs, the PS logo. 

I'm most looking forward to getting behind the wheel in Gran Turismo again, although I now have GT2, which I have never played.

EIhy2pmXsAMOsyK.jpg

Anything else you're after? Looking to sell my PS1 games...

Off the top of my head @ScouserInExile probably Vandal Hearts, Micro Machines V3, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Worms Armageddon, Crash Bandicoot... but my preference is original versions rather than Platinum. There is no absolutely no logic in me amassing a PS1 collection - I don't have enough time to play the games I already have - but hey that's videogames for you! :-D