rllmuk
Lorfarius

PS1 Appreciation Thread

Whilst wandering around the retro streets hoping to find a stray console I came across the PS1 mini....

There's about 1400 games and it's not a system I have much experience beyond dabbling here and there. Seems you can pick mass bundles up for peanuts still and though some of the rarer/good games can be expensive it might just be doable aiming for a set over a few years.... or I might just give up half way through and go after something else :lol:

Anyway I've made a start and quite pleased with what I have so far! More to follow.

This a close up photo of Driver 2:

20161110_183316_zpsvrnlxj35.jpg

• Upvote 4

I ended up owning the PlayStation after having had a Saturn and N64, and while those two systems have a special place in my retro heart, the PS gets some love too.

My meagre collection these days consists of games from back in the day that I loved, along with a few I didn't own but always thought they looked cool...

Tomb Raider 1&2 (I always felt the PS controller was more suited to this game than the Saturn controller)

GTA,

Final Fantasy IX (My favourite FF game)

WipEout 2097

Rage Racer

G-Police (Although the training level is about as much fun as Superman 64)

Syndicate Wars

Colony Wars

Parappa

Now i suspect im going to spend the remainder of my backshift browsing ebay instead of doing work!

Love the PSOne, much nicer form factor than the original model, and the white controller is just perfect.

I had a US one back in my uni days (Christ, 16 years ago?), and spent almost all my loan on importing Squaresoft RPGs from eBay. I remember paying ~£100 to get the genuinely scarce Final Fantasy Tactics, then they re-released it on the Greatest Hits range about a month later. Turned out I never got on with the game anyway. Ho hum.

I'll revisit the PS one day, but it may have to be an original ugly model for the PSIO option, unless someone can hack a drive emulator into the PSOne. I have seriously unfinished business with Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story and FFIX.

Loved Die Hard Trilogy, some great Xmas atmosphere to be had with 1 & 2. 

Edit - thought I should add some of my absolute faves too.  Ridge Racer (all of them), Tekken 2 & 3, Resi 2, Jumping Flash, Parappa, Track & Field, Time Crisis, Point Blank.  

Amazing system.  

• Upvote 1

I've been playing the original Rayman a lot recently having never actually tried it back when I had a working PS1, and I have to point out that it's a lot better than I was expecting. Tough as nails, but addictive. Really well designed too and forces you to really learn the levels like the back of your hand. More importantly, it's cheap to pick up an original PS1 copy too. I can essentially see why this is regarded as a classic platformer for the system, a style of game I'd started to neglect once I'd matured into the bigger badder serious titles like Resident Evil and FFVII.

I might go back to it out of all the Rayman games I've played I only think Rabit Rabbits was any good for me :lol: But can still remember playing the original Rayman and enjoying it.

I love how gloriously cheap a lot of the games are, lots of places selling them for 50p a pop with a fair few decent titles thrown in. Thanks to this already got a full set of Tomb Raider games winging their way to me.

Ah the good old original Playstation.

I have fond memories of buying a game then bringing it home, putting the disc in the system and just playing the game. No patches, no installs, no ads for DLC and all you had to do was put the disc in the tray.

• Upvote 1

My PS3 has become the default retro PSX machine in our flat. Me and the flatmate just started Mickey's epic adventure and it's hard. Really fucking hard. 

edit; nah mate, I'm off this train. This game is stressing me out on a level I've not felt since Batman Forever on the MD. 

On 12/11/2016 at 10:23, MatOfTheDead said:

the Cool Boarder Games are worth a look too

CB2 was excellent - the split screen challenges provided plenty of fun. :) 

Parappa and Lammy are good shouts. Not too long ago I was trying to emulate Bust-A-Groove but there was a bit of input lag that made things unplayable. I still think it got unfairly overlooked when people talk about rhythm action favourites. :P 

I was primarily a Saturn owner back in their era, but bought a PSOne for twenty quid with a Spyro game bundled. A ludicrous bargain.

Even though I came to it really late it still provided tons of quality - Wip3out SE, Ridge Racer Type 4, Grandia, Kurushi Final - the digital availability of which being a big reason I bought a PS3.

30th december is the 21st anniversary of me getting my PS1 for my 21st

[edit]

I took a picture of it yesterday

15439825_10153860392156486_8006803788806

except, this isn't my original SCPH-1002, no, this'll be the machine I got back when I sent the first one off to have the cd drive issue fixed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models#Variants

This series of machines had a reputation for CD drive problems—the optical pickup sled was made of thermoplastic and placed on the power supply that accelerated and eventually developed wear spots that moved the laser into a position where it was no longer parallel with the CD surface—a modification was made that replaced the sled with a die-cast one with hard nylon inserts, which corrected the problem.

Edited by SeanR

On 09/12/2016 at 22:02, Vin said:

My PS3 has become the default retro PSX machine in our flat. Me and the flatmate just started Mickey's epic adventure and it's hard. Really fucking hard. 

edit; nah mate, I'm off this train. This game is stressing me out on a level I've not felt since Batman Forever on the MD. 

I think I might need to get that myself then at some point. You should try getting the original Rayman. I've been playing that loads over the last couple of months and it's really tough as well. To gain access to the last level(s) you need to get every collectable on every level. I'm currently trying to hoover these all up.

How is this thread still on the 1st page?!

I traded in my US Snes with all of my R@RE RPG imports to buy a JAP PS1 on release with Ridge Racer.

What an evening that was! I had all of my friends round till 1AM & we only had the one game to play.

Some amazing imported games I loved

Front Mission 2

Elemental Gearbolt

Tobal No 2

Hermie Hopperhead

Xenogears

Einhander

& so so much more. What a machine I loved it but why oh why did I trade in my snes !!

Doom was the first game I got with my PS1.

I don't think I have a copy any more.

eBay £13 or Amazon £8?

phat box release, as per back in the day, or try and save money by getting a platinum or best of infogrammes edition?

It sure is.  Even more so these days, where the two main consoles are pretty much interchangeable.

As anyone who listens to me when I'm awake and breathing will attest, I'm a huge horizontal shmup fan.  So the PSOne automatically becomes one of the best consoles ever made.  Soooo much shooty goodness!  Not just the ports (please buy R-Types and Ray Storm/Ray Crisis, if you don't have them already) but the exclusives; the number of top-tier hori's is off the charts.

A quick sampling of my favourites would be the peerless R-Type Delta (the Best RT game there is), Harmful Park and Einhander.

I shifted-on most of my retro stuff years ago, but there's no way I'm letting my modded PSOne / LCD screen / Pocketstation combo go :wub:

It's got an iffy AV port that needs fixing, but otherwise tip-top.

ps1a_s.jpg

ps1b_s.jpg

ps1c_s.jpg

• Upvote 8