Hexx

The Good Place

On 09/10/2018 at 12:59, grindmouse said:

Keep watching for a bit and stop overanalysing? That will kill any comedy.

Bit dismissive. I can easily enjoy absurd/surreal/wacky comedy but this seems extremely narrative focused and the premise just barely makes any sense. It seems like the type of show where they do actually want you to care about the characters and story but it's hard for me to do that if there doesn't seem to be any consistency to the chain of events. I mean, to pull a couple of examples out of the hat, The Simpsons or Community could be unrealistic as hell but there was still usually an internal logic running underneath it all in which it made sense. Whereas within the first episode of this, it expects you to care about the story in a world where barely anything has any logic and the rules seem to contradict each other almost immediately.

Anyway, based on your answer I'll assume it doesn't improve in that respect and is probably not for me.

It does definitely improve at the end of the first season, but I agree it's a bit of a slog to get there. The second season is great and really inventive in places. 

40 minutes ago, Majora said:

Bit dismissive. I can easily enjoy absurd/surreal/wacky comedy but this seems extremely narrative focused and the premise just barely makes any sense. It seems like the type of show where they do actually want you to care about the characters and story but it's hard for me to do that if there doesn't seem to be any consistency to the chain of events. I mean, to pull a couple of examples out of the hat, The Simpsons or Community could be unrealistic as hell but there was still usually an internal logic running underneath it all in which it made sense. Whereas within the first episode of this, it expects you to care about the story in a world where barely anything has any logic and the rules seem to contradict each other almost immediately.

Anyway, based on your answer I'll assume it doesn't improve in that respect and is probably not for me.

You watched two episodes and I’m dismissive?

The logic of the show is internally consistent. No less than something like The Simpsons. It explains itself. But if you’re hung up on that now, I’d move on. It doesn’t appear to be to your taste.

Edit: The first season is not a slog.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

there doesn't seem to be any consistency to the chain of events

Is there anything in particular that’s bugging you? Either I or others in the thread could probably give you a quick yes/no on whether an apparent inconsistency is resolved later on in the series. 

Wow, episode 3 was a lot better, they got rid of the character that wasn’t working and had the group back to their old dynamic. More interesting and, crucially, funnier. It’s almost like a new person took control of the writers’ room to steer things back in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1