uuni or other pizza ovens

It was £699 so a big investment

I have a few Sage bits of equipment and its really good well thought out stuff, just came down to trust and controls/modes in the end over the Effeuno.

I could find more reviews for the Sage/Breville, sure the Italian one is decent too but I couldn’t get as comfortable dropping the cash on it.

Comes today, had some dough balls proving overnight in the fridge.

• Upvote 1

Well that works a treat. 20m warm up and 2m30s for this

So well designed, the peel is shaped to fit the stone which has a retaining wall at back so you cant lob it in too far.

Tasted great, base was perfect and even with thin slices held up in your hand perfectly. Dough was so crisp but tender.

First was classic Neopolitan, second time added chorizo and bit of grated parm.

A2888606-40A1-4B5A-BAED-441715EFDA4F.thumb.jpeg.972bafd69154048bc416f884e7d2be99.jpeg

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Nice. Now cold prove the dough for 3-5 days in the fridge. 

want to experiment with that, meant to improve flavour and dough structure further isn’t it ?

big fan of the Mutti brand tomatoes, they do a pizza tin too which is basically their high quality chopped toms with some herb and bit of onion added, so fresh tasting.

I totally get the Neapolitan love after last night, just simple ingredients done well with no place to hide.

Had one leftover dough that had been proving for 5 days - we were having pasta for dinner so shame to let it go to waste 

Dialled the oven down from its woodfired 350c + setting as didn't want to burn the butter or garlic. 

It tasted rather good

09256DE7-8D6F-4CE7-8D27-3932B1EE4F26.thumb.jpeg.f5a4b6835852a28d36056cd906ec42c6.jpeg

• Upvote 2
On 30/06/2020 at 11:37, Horribleman said:

I use a wooden peel for prep/launching then the flat ooni steel one for taking out/turning. 

On 30/06/2020 at 14:17, Shimmyhill said:

Similar - wooden peel to prep and launch, metal to turn and take out and then have a round wooden (Lidl special) serving board to put cooked pizza on! It’s a decent work flow when doing a few but we also picked up some stackable pizza trays in Lidl as an ooni group had a cracking idea for making the pizzas first and putting them on baking paper on the stackable trays to then take out and have a cooking production line!

On 30/06/2020 at 11:25, Gorf said:

yes, the basic metal peel with no handle is what I’ve got

I’ll look into a wooden peel for launching.

I’m finding one peel just isn’t enough, any second peel would be good to get the next pizza set up ready to launch while the first one is in the oven

Keep meaning to post in here as I've been an Ooni Koda owner for a few months now. Things I've learnt:

Regarding the peels, I was struggling launching with the metal peel, so bought a wooden one. Then I watched the Adam Atkins Roccbox video below and realised I wasn't using anywhere near enough flour when shaping the dough. I then had a go at the 'drag' method he uses and it was so much easier, you just have to get plenty of flour on your dough ball, and a little bit on the peel. Now I just use the Ooni pizza peel, and when cooking I lift the pizza a bit and pull it out and then just rotate with my fingers carefully.

Another thing I picked up from that vid is to chop up the Mozarella beforehand, makes it easier to top the pizza quickly, especially if you're making multiple pizzas in quich succession. I fel like he uses too much cheese though, which is maybe why his pizza (to me) looks a little sloppy.

The other really important thing from that video, is shaping the doughballs! I was paying no attention to how I shaped them before letting them prove. As soon as I started rounding them and sealing the bottoms like he does in the vid it became so much easier to shape them when you're making the pizzas. I don't use his slap method though, I just use my fingers to round them out.

I really like Got2EatPizza's channel on YouTube. I use her method for making dough and it's always turned out well. I also use her guideline for the Koda temps, get the middle of the stone to 425 and then turn it down a smidge and it's ready to cook.

I always make a kilo batch (1kg of flour). This should give you 8 pizzas. Your doughballs should be about 210g each. I use Blue Caputo flour. You can buy a 25kg bag for about £25 from Nifeislife, which is where I get mine from: https://www.nifeislife.com/caputo-wheat-flour-pizzeria-25kg-p-1064.html.

I haven't tried freezing the doughballs yet, usually I'll keep any leftovers in the fridge and they're good for a few days. also, I sometimes make a simple garlic bread, just mashing up a garlic clove and mixing with a large tablespoon of softened better and some chopped parslety and then spreading on the dough, and sometimes top with  bit of mozarella. They are almost more popular than the actual pizzas!

For tomato sauce, I follow the recipe in the Ooni Koda booklet you get with the the oven and it's simple and delicious.

Finally, regarding cleaining the stone, I've never bothered. Just flip it over and the heat from the next cook burns it all off, so when you flip it again it will be practically clean!

Hope some of that that helps. :)

My garlic bread:

IMG_2400.thumb.jpeg.77093755653a96b6a4376796f5ec59ba.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/07/2020 at 07:51, Gotters said:

It was £699 so a big investment

I have a few Sage bits of equipment and its really good well thought out stuff, just came down to trust and controls/modes in the end over the Effeuno.

I could find more reviews for the Sage/Breville, sure the Italian one is decent too but I couldn’t get as comfortable dropping the cash on it.

Comes today, had some dough balls proving overnight in the fridge.

How’re you getting on with the pizziollo?
Having to rethink our Roccbox purchase  as we won’t be able to use it in the communal area of our new flat.

Current setup is a baking steel so I’m sure it’ll be an upgrade! 

13 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

How’re you getting on with the pizziollo?
Having to rethink our Roccbox purchase  as we won’t be able to use it in the communal area of our new flat.

absolutely love it - my other half really dislikes most pizza and was always picking off the toppings and cheese and leaving the crusts whenever we had it, she wasn’t supportive of this purchase !

she’s gone full convert with this and doesn’t leave a scrap.

I’m never going to attempt to price justify such an expensive device, but its an almost obsessively designed well made bit of kit, albeit one with only a few uses

the pizza you get is just perfect, thin bases that hold their structure when lifted, lovely light crust and the toppings perfectly done. Not tried a deep dish yet with the supplied pan but its coming soon once the weather eases off a bit

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza night tonight, tried a cheesy garlic bread and it was amazing!

spacer.png

No disaster / burns / impromptu calzones just two great Neapolitan and one great garlic pizza - we are getting this nailed now!

• Upvote 5