uuni or other pizza ovens

Anyone here got a uuni pizza oven or another pizza oven in general?

I don't like takeaway pizza but I love what I call 'proper' pizza so thin crispy base cooked hot and fast so am going to get myself some form of outdoor wood fired oven and frankly the latest uuni looks pretty much perfect and all the reviews seem to be positive but as ever its always interesting to hear from people who have one and have used them for a while to get a picture of living with them and any issues etc!

I've not got a specific pizza oven but do make them in my Primo bbq as can get the temps up to 450-500c and have a big pizza stone, its the high temps that get you that great crust and those lovely bread blisters around the edge.

They are incredible and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same name as the takeaway variant - a 24h proved dough stretched thinly gives a lovely crisp crust that supports the slice and a nice bit of softness inside still.

One of these is a good investment, works like a charm and makes the part that has the potential to ruin the whole process a piece of cake (lifting off a worktop and transferring to the oven)

http://bakerybits.co.uk/the-super-peel.html

I have thought about getting the Weber pizza thingie and can easily hit 4-500 under the dome and above with the slow n sear but I wonder it you get the extra magic of wood fired (I know a lot of BBQ pizza types will burn wood also to help temps and flames etc)

On 13 September 2016 at 08:40, meatbin said:

I get great results with two pizza stones in my oven at 250c... Not Woodfired standard, but close enough and super easy.

On 13 September 2016 at 11:14, The Hierophant said:

Yeah. I get great results in my oven at circa 240 degrees plus. 

It makes me very reluctant to spend money on a pizza oven. 

The problem is you want 400c+ to 'properly' cook pizza and I have tried pizza stones in an oven and yeah they do a job but I don't think you can touch a Pizza cooked much hotter and faster - I generally don't eat pizza because I am really fussy with it as my opening post and therefore I don't join in with pizza nights with family or when I do I really don't enjoy it.

Its also about the fun of it, I cook loads on a BBQ and its the theatre of it all that makes me experiment and get more involved than I otherwise would so this is an extension of that - by the same measure I don't want to spend £1k on it as it would be an every now and then purchase hence the uuni at £200ish is much more wallet friendly but still gives great results (I'm told via reviews and vids!)

I hope I'm not coming across as an elitist prick because most people just eat and enjoy pizza inc my family, I was ruined as a youngster going to Italy - the bastards also spoiled ice cream for me as 20 years later I've never had such good pizza and ice cream as we did at a family house back then!

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

The problem is you want 400c+ to 'properly' cook pizza and I have tried pizza stones in an oven and yeah they do a job but I don't think you can touch a Pizza cooked much hotter and faster - I generally don't eat pizza because I am really fussy with it as my opening post and therefore I don't join in with pizza nights with family or when I do I really don't enjoy it.

Its also about the fun of it, I cook loads on a BBQ and its the theatre of it all that makes me experiment and get more involved than I otherwise would so this is an extension of that - by the same measure I don't want to spend £1k on it as it would be an every now and then purchase hence the uuni at £200ish is much more wallet friendly but still gives great results (I'm told via reviews and vids!)

I hope I'm not coming across as an elitist prick because most people just eat and enjoy pizza inc my family, I was ruined as a youngster going to Italy - the bastards also spoiled ice cream for me as 20 years later I've never had such good pizza and ice cream as we did at a family house back then!

:lol:

Not elitist at all (and when it comes to food I don't think it a bad thing). 

I like BBQing too as I think you know and understand what you say. 

We we tend to have pizza every Friday night if we are at home. It's a bit of a refular thing for my wife and I. 

We make our own dough (based on David Bertinett's recipe) and our own sauce and top with what we want. 

I can tell the difference between that and a pizza cooked in a pizza oven (we have a great place in Brum with a £35k pizza oven imported from Italy where we go a fair bit) but I just don't think the difference is worth it - whereas with BBQ you can't do the same things in just an oven. 

2 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Looks very similar to the pizzas we produce. We made one tonight and I nearly took a photo. Wish I had now.

Anyway making the pizza tonight and this thread prompted me to ask Mrs H if she would like a pizza oven. Turns out she would :lol:

We'll see. 

Blame me, my name is mud with many a friends wife so one more isnt going t hurt!

It's fairly simple when you consider it but the new wave of pizza oven requires a roaring flame to remain adequately hot.  This is easier said than done, not impossible but a lot of work to maintain.  Obviously one of the benefits of a brick oven is the insulation and this has to be compensated by a roaring flame.

• 5 months later...

Wow - 385 quid !

At first I was very skeptical of it but they are claiming it gets to temps of 500c, which would give you a quality finish to your pizza and cook it very fast. I have had my bbq up to well over 300c and cooked pizzas on the stone, but that is outside, having something that hot inside the house on the hob would concern me a bit.

However hot it gets its still not going to impart the flavor you can get from a woodfired or charcoal burning device - but you will get those nice blisters on the crust and charring, without drying the whole thing out like a conventional fan oven would.

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Need a full report. It’s still top of my list. 

Will do as soon as we can get some pellets and dough ingredients! I have bags of pellets at my old house of course.....

We have an ooni. It’s brilliant. We make our own dough and the pizzas are excellent. As good as wood fired pizzas you would buy from a restaurant/street trader type. They are expensive but very good fun and add a little bit of theatre, particularly with guests/kids. 

2 hours ago, OnionNon said:

You can put a cast iron pan in and they’re great for kebabs, roasting vegetables, chicken tikka etc. 

Looking to do this, did you get the ooni branded one or can you recommend one that fits ok?