rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

What is spinning on your turntable?

Nothing to show today as the room is in a state of disrepair and nothing is set up but hopefully on Friday this will be on the wheel of steel (aluminium).

5060454942436.jpg?format=750w

Sorry for going off topic, just a heads up for anyone who uses the download code that comes with the De La album above.

The tagging on the files is terrible, some don't have album, genre or artist details, and one of the tracks is set as being from disc 6 for some reason.

Also the embedded albumart is about 7000 pixels wide and tall, and iTunes throws a fit and won't display it.

I fixed it all using mp3tag with paint.net to resize the artwork, I'd recommend doing the same.

Dude, you sound like someone from some awful audiophile forum where special snowflakes with extraordinarily sensitive hearing talk about the differences £500 interconnects make. That way lies getting into the Dixie Chicks because they make 'great sounding records'.

Or perhaps you meant that Tour de France Sountracks is a great record, in which case my apologies. 

• Downvote 4

I've got turntable envy. My poor old SL-1500 is looking longingly at all those lovely 1200s and 1210s...

Actually, it's a great turntable and I'm in no rush to change it, though I might treat it to an Ortofon blue at some stage,

18 minutes ago, cubik said:

I've got turntable envy. My poor old SL-1500 is looking longingly at all those lovely 1200s and 1210s...

Actually, it's a great turntable and I'm in no rush to change it, though I might treat it to an Ortofon blue at some stage,

I thought yours looked fantastic. I doubt you would see any improvement in getting a 1200 or 1210 model

I used to have an Ortofon red, don't get one of those. Unless you love IGD

7 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I thought yours looked fantastic. I doubt you would see any improvement in getting a 1200 or 1210 model

I used to have an Ortofon red, don't get one of those. Unless you love IGD

I know the 1200/1210 isn't necessarily an upgrade, it's just something I've coveted since my college years and such an iconic piece of kit.

Thanks for the red advice - Who or what is IGD?

Inner Groove Distortion. Or sibilance. When your stylus moves beyond the mid point of the record, the grooves start to become more compacted. It takes a good stylus to get the info out of them. Bad ones start to produce IGD, best described when vocals start to have a lot of "sssssssss" is in them

My Audio Technical AT440MLb is perfect, doesn't pick any up at all. Its not the most vibrant or aggressive cart, but no IGD is more important to me. 

Looks like you are running a DJ spec cart currently, so I would imagine the Ortofon Blue will be a major step up.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Looks like you are running a DJ spec cart currently, so I would imagine the Ortofon Blue will be a major step up.

It's not a DJ cart, it's a relatively old cart for the hifi market. Ortofon OMP 20.

When I got it the stylus was slightly bent so I replaced it with an Ortofon Stylus 10 (they're interchangeable) which isn't quite as good as the stylus 20 but it was 30 something quid as opposed to 100+. It's a decent cart by all accounts, but I don't know its age so it seems sensible to replace the whole thing when I get round to it (or can afford it) rather than just buy a 100 quid stylus.

I'll probably post in here for more advice once I've got funds together. The blue looks nice and is well reviewed, I also had the Audio Technica AT120 on the list of possibles.

Check out the video above about IGD, better than my explanation.

Also, this video, mostly for the comments below. I wouldn't trade for anything less than my AT440

Worth pointing out, IGD isn't just audiophile bullshit, it really is a thing.